cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Four Wheel Campers

csh_2088
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone here owned a Four Wheel Camper before and if so I would like to hear opinion of them.
24 REPLIES 24

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was looking at some Forest River pop up campers this week. A full sized camper tends to be heavy and top heavy. The pop ups solve that problem but are not so good below freezing.

One of the great things is that some of them have clear windows all the way around in the canvas on top of the sides. It is easy to see out and it lets in some sun. Much less claustrophobic than larger closed up campers.

With a light camper I can still bring a drift boat.
I have never liked taking my truck canopy off and mounting a camper. With a light camper it might be possible to just leave it on for a month or two.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
At one time in this forum Four Wheel Campers was a frequent topic of discussion. You can/could get them as barebones or fully furnished, built to order.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mockturtle wrote:
I have a 4WD 'camper'.

Good for youโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
My friend has had a few in the past. I liked that the top is very low when stored for travel. It was also the only popup at the tine with an aluminum frame. But as stated as far as insulation it's like a tent when it's popped up.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Years ago, FWC bought Six-Pac - a small hard side camper based in Texas as I recall. And moved the company to Woodland CA. I thought it was adding HS campers to FWC at that time.

It never materialized. Both were mimimal but well build campers ... I have no idea what happend to Six-Pac nor why FWC didn't continue building SP-HS Campers.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 4WD 'camper'.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

csh_2088
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info. They look really nice to travel across country or spend a week out in the backwoods. I don't plan on staying in Montana in the winter time.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes I owned a 2021 Hawk, now sold. Nice rig until it gets cold. They are well built, but can't overcome the limitations of no insulation, and a propane heater. If you're nights don't get below 30F in a dry climate they are ok. The idea that much if anything can be mounted to roof is a pipedream. Now that things are overwhelming crowded I have resigned myself to camp when most won't so cold weather performance is key.

The 8'Grandby is the way to go. The shell model would now be my preference. It would eliminate duplicates such as camp stove, chairs, camp table, and coolers which I brought anyway. The heater is useless except under mild conditions so who needs that? Sink is so small about all you can do is brush teeth anyway.

I will say the king bed option is huge if bed size is important, although in the shorter 6.5' Hawk it was a pia at times. I would not get the king bed again however, the standard one is plenty big.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
What is a four wheel camper?
al