cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FYI/ what say you

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
Browsing today in a batteries + store in Miami . They had a battery brand name X2 with a five year free replacement warranty. It was a 90 amp hour battery and cost was $320 plus tax. Kinda $pendy but I must admit the five year warranty is enticing. I don't or hope I don't need a battery at this point but might be worth a second look when I do. I'm sure they aren't the best battery for the $$$ out there but that warranty will go a long way toward leveling the playing field.
25 REPLIES 25

Sparky87k5
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Interstate for years on my boat and get at best 3 seasons from 4 Group 27's. I now use AGM's and haven't replaced them in 6 years so far.
2000 F350 Lariat LE V10 CC LB 4WD DRW
2005 Eagle Cap 850 Camper
1993 Robalo 2440 twin '07 Merc Optimax 150's
1978 Glasply 28' with twin 310hp V8's

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I am going on 4 years with my group 31 Deka AGMs. They are still working fine. They stay in the TC all year and my solar panels, while parked under a carport, keep them maintained. I installed them 4 years ago and have done nothing to them. Just the fact that I dont have to keep checking on water levels, or worry about leaking, makes it worth what I paid for them. Some have even installed them on their sides, which can be done with no issues. My next set will be AGMs.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have bought expensive batteries, and less expensive batteries.

Full timing, plugged into shore power about 60% of the time, they have all gone south in under 2 years.

I am now on my third Autozone biggest, best battery. Or I was last week, when I traded for a new camper.

Good price, 1 year warranty, and they install it.

Works for me.

Batteries are like tires and diesel fuel and engine oil and brake pads to me.

Replace as needed.

Joe
2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
skipbee wrote:
You might consider AGM batteries, they are pretty much maintenance free, no water to add. Penn Manufacturing makes the Deka brand which we have used for several years, I will never go back to lead/acid batteries. The AGM's charge quicker, hold the charge better. I just clean the terminals annually. They are not as expensive as the ones you mention, I believe.

Skip why are AGM's better? I heard because you cannot add water to them they won't last as long simply because the water/ electrolyte does evaporate in the long run.

Also does AGM's last longer?

Thank you, Mike

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider AGM batteries, they are pretty much maintenance free, no water to add. Penn Manufacturing makes the Deka brand which we have used for several years, I will never go back to lead/acid batteries. The AGM's charge quicker, hold the charge better. I just clean the terminals annually. They are not as expensive as the ones you mention, I believe.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
The warranty would be the only reason I would even consider a battery this $pendy. Not sure what the warranty is on some of the other premium batteries like Lifeline etc. I dry camp exclusively and for months at a time so my batteries are absolutely critical and need to be as bullet proof as humanly possible. That said a warranty is no good if they have a small dealer network aka few locations.

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Like stated above about 3X the cost of the same size battery. Take the Interstate and it is warrantied for 30 months, So half the time but I'll bet the batteries as about 1/3 the cost. Also I'm sure many more places stock Interstate than you can find Batteries + for the warranty. For that price you could buy AGM batteries.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Fishcamper
Explorer
Explorer
The devil is in the details. I suggest you read every word of the actual warranty. For instance, what kinds of failure trigger the warranty? Is is absolutely no questions asked or will you have the hassle of proving that the failure was not caused by something you did or didn't do? Is there ever a situation where it will be pro-rated rather than a completely free replacement? And so on...and so on...

Pardon my cynicism but in my experience, the actual warranty is never as comprehensive as the advertised catch phrases suggest.
2011 Chev 3500 SRW 4X4 gasser - 1999 Lance 920

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Just need to keep the water above the lead plates. You can see them inside with a flashlight.

Actually it's best to buy the heaviest battery you can find, but, what battery place has a scale? I just pick them up looking for a good heavy one with a good price as my batteries have always lasted at least 5 years.

Just make sure your battery charger isn't a battery destroyer boiling the liquid all the time. You can hear it if you listen carefully. It shouldn't be boiling after a full charge. That ruins a battery in a big hurry.

I would not pay that price you mentioned because it's too much money.

Go cheapest, heaviest but most importantly a good charger that knows when to float not boil.

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
Interstate batteries are best, but like all batteries you need to keep them full of distilled water as when they are low they go bad fast.