cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting ready to Hit the Road----finally retired

Davidechinn
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings ! This is my first post... The wife and I are FINALLY finished with the Corporate world and are now looking forward to seeing the country.
I know this is a simple question but I'm trying to find out the best bets for us enjoying our retirement on the road. I'm trying to find out what the best types of placing to camp are for a retired couple. Are State campgrounds what we are looking for?
I've seen some very sketchy RV Parks and I'd hate to pull into an RV Park where most of the spots are filled with permanent campers. Maybe there are no safe bets, but I thought I'd ask.
I don't want to relive my college days of camping either.. ha ha
15 REPLIES 15

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I love Passport America... I've saved lots of $$$ using them, and still do.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
You really will have to try out a few different types of camping places to see what you like.

RV resorts often have amenities (for example: laundry room, game room, organized activities) and full hookups, and charge accordingly; to me they feel like small cities of RVs, and I camp to get away from the city!

State parks vary from state to state, and range from FHU to no hookups.

Corps of Engineers (COE) CGs will usually be near water, so they tend to have beaches, boat launches, and large, well-kept sites (fees are 1/2 off with a recreation passport, and in another month I'll turn 62 and apply for my $80 lifetime card).

State and national forest CGs are generally rustic with no hookups, usually tucked away in the woods and sometimes on a small lake, and tend to have shorter sites that might not fit a large RV (which is why I prefer towing a trailer shorter than 20', so I can fit into these more remote places).

Then you have the boondocking, where you just find some public land that allows dispersed camping and use a nimble rig (like a 4WD truck topped with a camper) to get in and stay a while, far from civilization where you might not see another living person the whole time you're there.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I dropped Passport America. Their restrictions started to interfere with our travels.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
As you saw on other posts there are many places to stay. It is your interests are that will dictate where. If outdoors (nature and wildlife, etc.), National state county parks and the like are great choices. If urban interests you will probably gravitate to private parks as they are generally closer to those areas.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Low cost campgrounds all across the USA:

Passport America
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Davidechinn
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much for your advice!!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations.
Iโ€™ll second the COE campgrounds. We also look at state, county and city owned campgrounds that are near where we want to go.
We stay at KOAs for one nighters.
Most resorts are glorified parking lots. Not for us, but lots of folks like them.
If there is only a private place available, I research it as much as possible to avoid the ones that might have a sketchy population.
Enjoy!
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use the trip planner at this site often:

https://freecampsites.net/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
It really is dependant on you and your needs, wants, expectations, and where you want to travel too. Over the years we have mixed it up from staying at Corps of Engineer Parks with water & electric hooks ups on beautiful lakes, to National/State Parks with same or zero hook ups, to odd higher class resorts closer or in bigger cities where there were target things we wanted to see/do.

Typically we decide which route we are taking, google what there is to do in each area along the way and make our decisions from there. Primarily now we prefer to boondock/disperse camp by choice and really don't enjoy private organized CGs. City Parks we frequent occasionally if available also.

Our go to apps after setting out our route are typically www.ioverlander.com, www.freecampsites.net primarily and if near NFS the MUVM maps or BLM/Trust Lands. When out in the bush we do tend to utilize satellite views to check road access and google for reviews. Then sometimes we will utilize www.campendium.com and www.allstays.com.

We all travel so differently and have different needs. We've done mostly it all and for the most part enjoyed it all, but now find we are drawn more to being rurally near water/mountains liking to fish/kayak and the solitude.

Everyone eventually finds their handful of main go to's for apps to source things that helps them. If you check out a few of the suggested links in these posts, you'll find some more useful for you than others.

Happy & Safe Travels, part of the fun is in the planning.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, there is other government campgrounds. TVA has campgrounds at many of their dams.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
If you are eligible for for a America The Beautiful Senior pass, one of the great places to stay is Corp Of Engineer parks, BLM sites. Many have full hook ups and great scenery.
UScampgrounds.info is a good source for locations.

I totally agree.
There are also campgrounds owned by utilities, like PG&E that are VERY nice, well kept gems.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Youโ€™ll double your camping options if you can dry camp/boondock for at least a few days. Youโ€™ll triple them if your TV, TT and you can handle some easy dirt roads.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on retirement.

There are so many options when traveling. State Parks, National Parks, Army Corp of Engineering campsites, private campgrounds, RV Resorts, and special club member only resorts, etc. They all have benefits and limitations and costs as you can imagine.

I would start before your trip with mapping out your route and then looking at sites like Allstays.com for RV sites along your route. They also include descriptions and reviews which also helps identify what to expect. I also have used google maps to look at aerial views and street views of campgrounds, access routes and roads.

I like the Allstays app on my iPad. This gives me maps and helps make the search easier. Other apps and services are useful too. RvParky, RVParking.com and others.

Let us know what you are towing and where you are headed and someone on here will have an opinion (guaranteed). ....and will gladly share it. Take only the good and ignore the rest.

Again, welcome!
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If you are eligible for for a America The Beautiful Senior pass, one of the great places to stay is Corp Of Engineer parks, BLM sites. Many have full hook ups and great scenery.
UScampgrounds.info is a good source for locations.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow