cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Where snow and mud isn't an issue, you can have a 4X2 truck as your tow vehicle, but here in the Northeast, 4X4 trucks are the norm. Now GM is offering AWD instead of 4WD in many of their HD trucks. At least up here, I'm seeing most HD trucks with the AWD option. I'm not so sure that's a good idea in my neck of the woods. What are your thoughts?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
106 REPLIES 106

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Good looking truck rob.....CONGRATS!!!! Go w/ B&W brackets and rails, am glad I did w/ Casper.

Thanks Mike. That's what I'm doing. I called a local installer this morning and they ordered the kit. When it arrives they will call me to set up an appointment. Rails are no big deal. Sure the Puck system lets you have a flat bed when the hitch is removed but I keep it in most of the time. I'm not hauling gravel or dirt with the truck so won't ever likely be an inconvenience.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Good looking truck rob.....CONGRATS!!!! Go w/ B&W brackets and rails, am glad I did w/ Casper.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Nice truck! Good luck with it. If you have a TT you will love the camera system. They are mean looking!
I have a fifth wheel but this truck has a bed view camera so I can't wait to try it out!

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Nice truck! Good luck with it. If you have a TT you will love the camera system. They are mean looking!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jerry, I was hoping I could find a truck with the Puck system but I couldn't. I'll have bed rails installed and use my Patriot 16K which will save me a few $$. I thought the initial MPG was good too. Especially right out of the chute. Hopefully I can get some miles on the truck and the rails installed before camping season ends so I can go at least once this Summer/Fall!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Very nice looking truck! I like the built in bed step. It should work great for hitching/unhitching FW, and getting items in/out of bed. A truck weighing 8K+ getting 20+ mpg another bonus. Will be interested to hear what towing mpg are, when you get some miles on.

Congrats again,

Jerry

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I now have a new 2020 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. Thank you to those that helped clarify things regarding the 4WD options and a special thank you to those who helped find where this truck was while it was In Transit and played a roll getting it to the dealer so I could become the owner. To stay on topic with this thread, it doesn't have the "Auto" feature and is a traditional 4WD truck. 20.4 MPG coming home from the dealer.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Retired JSO wrote:
The price and build sheets of 2020 Silverados are either 2WD or 4WD, no AWD option meaning they have 1 transfer case not 3 as on AWD cars.

There are two different 4WD options.
-- 4hi, 4lo, and 2wd
-- 4hi, 4lo, AWD and 2wd

This thread has gotten confusing.
AWD generally means All Wheel Drive. There have been several posts on here about the A setting meaning Automatic 4 Wheel Drive. They are very different things.

I think that this last post should read that the last option is:
4hi, 4lo, Automatic 4hi and 2wd.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
The price and build sheets of 2020 Silverados are either 2WD or 4WD, no AWD option meaning they have 1 transfer case not 3 as on AWD cars.

There are two different 4WD options.
-- 4hi, 4lo, and 2wd
-- 4hi, 4lo, AWD and 2wd
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This thread is still going??
There is no AWD HD Chevy.
Closing time....you don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Thermoguy wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Meh. Wait till they come out with a motor on each wheel and they can do this. :).

https://youtu.be/7BkxjHkOvYY

I like that - but with a trailer, ouch...

🙂

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:
Meh. Wait till they come out with a motor on each wheel and they can do this. :).

I like that - but with a trailer, ouch...

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:

🙂