cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey water issues with new Kodiak

AElliott6
Explorer
Explorer
Second weekend out with our new Kodiak 255BHSL. Grey water tank was full and started to back into shower. No biggie drain it and no problem right? Uh no, not exactly. Shower water started seeping under tub wall, I ran outside and hooked up slinky in a hurry and noticed water pouring from multiple locations at right rear of trailer around tub base. Removed an access panel and there was an half an inch of water under tub sitting on linoleum, draining- albeit slowly. More disturbing was the fact that there was several electrical lines submerged. Currently waiting to take it in for service but how would you all describe that problem? I don't think the tub was leaking (since this hadn't happened before on our previous trip). I think that there is some element of the grey water tank compromised at the top of the tank where it is plumbed in. Anybody had this happen before? We love this Kodiak but was a major bummer scrambling in the dark and fumbling with slinky after a few.
2014 Kodiak 255BHSL
2012 F150 SCREW 3.5L V6 EcoBoost
5 REPLIES 5

AElliott6
Explorer
Explorer
Kirk wrote:
That sounds rather doubtful to me. I suggest that you take a garden hose or something and fill the gray water tank to where it backs into the shower again just to make sure that he did fix the problem that you had. I can see no way that the P trap had anything to do with that problem. Kodiakcanuk is absolutely right that something has to be leaking due to the tank being full and that P trap is highly unlikely to be the cause.

When they first told me I was doubtful as well. I made sure to ask them if they filled the tank to overflow and they assured me that it had been done. I checked to make sure that the tub drain was changed and it appeared that it was different. I could tell that they had filled the grey water as well because there was a little water left in the tub. I went as far as to remove the access panel to check that it was dry, which it was. I, generally speaking, don't trust anyone, much less a dealership. So far I have no reason to believe anything other than what they have told me, but Ill know for sure next camping trip. Thanks for the comments and advice BTW
2014 Kodiak 255BHSL

Kirk
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds rather doubtful to me. I suggest that you take a garden hose or something and fill the gray water tank to where it backs into the shower again just to make sure that he did fix the problem that you had. I can see no way that the P trap had anything to do with that problem. Kodiakcanuk is absolutely right that something has to be leaking due to the tank being full and that P trap is highly unlikely to be the cause.
Good travelin! ........Kirk
Professional Volunteer
Fulltimer for 11 years,
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

AElliott6
Explorer
Explorer
Turns out that the bath tub drain didn't have enough threads to get a good seal on p trap. Dealer was able to replace it. So far dealer has been really pleasant to deal with. Hope I don't have to see them again for a looooong time.
2014 Kodiak 255BHSL

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Yes sounds like an issue with the top of grey water tank. Loose fittings or something is missing. Unfortunately, you will have to take it back to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. Make sure they inspect for water damage, and replace ANYTHING that was soaking wet for too long.

I have dealt with Dutchmen/Thor/Keystone for warranty, and I found them very good. Dont be afraid to contact them if you aren't getting anywhere with your dealer.

Sorry to hear about your Kodiak, mine has not encountered this problem.
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
My Dutchmen Denali had the same problem. The manufacture didn't use any rector seal on any of the fitting. I found that the p -trap on the bath tub leaked like a sieve. To fix it all I had do was take it off and apply the rector seal to it. I also had to replace the insulation under the bathroom because it was water logged.It never leaked again after I did that.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI