Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey water tank leak

netdefilr
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I had a grey water tank issue on my last trip. The spot that I had parked at was more rustic and probably more for tent campers so the ground wasn't level. I tried my best to level the camper and it seemed to be OK.

The next day, late in the day apparently the grey water tank began leaking. The previous trip the grey & black had been dumped completely. But there had been 2 showers taken and minimal use of the sinks. The concern is its not a drip every now and then it was a couple of spots it would drip almost continuously. When we left again, we drained both the black and grey tanks.

Is there an overflow that we could have been reaching due to it not being level? It's manual levelers and I use a drill on them. But I don't have the manual rod for making this taller than what I can do with a socket wrench, I haven't found one to buy one yet.

It's a 2006 Salem 20FB.

Thanks,
Tim
-----
2006 Salem 20FB
6 REPLIES 6

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
netdefilr wrote:

Is there an overflow that we could have been reaching due to it not being level? It's manual levelers and I use a drill on them. But I don't have the manual rod for making this taller than what I can do with a socket wrench, I haven't found one to buy one yet.

It's a 2006 Salem 20FB.

Thanks,
Tim

Those aren't levelers, they are stabilizers. If you are using them to level the trailer, you can bend the frame. Use leveling blocks or boards to level your trailer at the tires, then just the jacks to keep the trailer from rocking when you are inside it.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
"Is there an overflow that we could have been reaching due to it not being level? It's manual levelers and I use a drill on them. But I don't have the manual rod for making this taller than what I can do with a socket wrench, I haven't found one to buy one yet."

The stabilizers on the corners are not for leveling.... To level side to side pull the low side of the trailer onto blocks or wood enough to level (chock wheels)..... front to back level with the front jack......... The corner stabilizers are only to help to keep the trailer from shaking..........
Good Luck finding your leak as before probably a connection somewhere.....

Enjoy..........

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
There are 4 bolts that hold in each valve blade. Check around those bolts. The sewage lines coming down to the main opening are suspended and where those bolts go thru the plastic take a beating going down the road.

I thought I needed a a new valve blade because it was dripping a little leak. When mobile RV came out to replace them he showed me where the bolts were, the plastic was cracked. We looked at the other side and those too had cracks around the bolt. That's were the small leak was coming from.

When we went to loosen the bolts to get the blade out the plastic around the bolt actually broke off. Had to replace the whole lines.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
netdefilr wrote:
Inside the camper, I could not detect any leaks.
Outside the camper, I saw the grey tank and it looked like the leaks were happening above it having the water fall on the side of the tank. But I can't say for sure which connection is causing this.

I called General RV's service. While the lady wasn't a tech she did mention it could have been the overflow on this tank because of the level.

Is there a way to test this tank while at home before going out again?

Oh yes, my only overflow situation was with my black tank. That was ugly but at least it didn't back up into the trailer. So maybe a leaky top fitting is good thing! (For me, not the neighbours ...)

If you know the tank size and you've the trailer level in your driveway, try filling it up with known quantity of water. See when it overflows. I wouldn't worry if it's a leaky top fitting. Just be cautious about leveling the trailer and over-filling in the future.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

netdefilr
Explorer
Explorer
Inside the camper, I could not detect any leaks.
Outside the camper, I saw the grey tank and it looked like the leaks were happening above it having the water fall on the side of the tank. But I can't say for sure which connection is causing this.

I called General RV's service. While the lady wasn't a tech she did mention it could have been the overflow on this tank because of the level.

Is there a way to test this tank while at home before going out again?
-----
2006 Salem 20FB

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Usually the leaks are at plumbing connections to the tank. The dump plumbing and valves are most exposed and most likely to be leaking. Perhaps where they connect to the tank?

Could you tell where the leak was coming from?
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow