cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help - Lance 7 pin connector

Shadow_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
I am finally looking at purchasing my first truck camper. In order to make sure I like truck camping I decided to purchase a used one instead of a brand new one....I can always upgrade in a year or two and not lose much. I am looking at a 1997 Lance Squire Lite 165 that is in good condition and I have some questions about the 7 pin connector.

1.) The 7 pin connector / pigtail is at the front of the Lance camper. Is this normal? Do I need to have a dealer install wiring to the front of the truck bed? Or can I run the pigtail all the way back to the trailer plug at the hitch? I know the longer the cable is, the more resistance but the camper only contains one battery and I could make sure the wiring was sufficiently sized.

2.) Does Lance even make these connectors anymore? I noticed dirt is packed in the connector, and my guess is a wasp or something built a nest inside. I would like to cut the old one off and replace it with a new one. Is this possible? Also, is this a proprietary Lance plug, or can I get one of these at any RV store?

3.) Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this particular connector?

Thank you for any assistance or advice you guys can provide. I am meeting with the owner if a couple days to test out the appliances and possibly make the purchase.

-Mike
9 REPLIES 9

Shadow_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the help. I am concerned about getting a good connection with the factory connector since it is packed with dirt. I guess I could clean it and see what type of resistance there is, plus use some dielectric grease?

Now I am off to find a tie down system from a local business.

Mike

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
jimh425 wrote:
Keep in mind that this is a very bad location for a truck camper since many barely slide by the tailgate opening.

Or anything else if you use truck I would think, looks like an accident waiting to happen, Ive seen on bed wall just behind the pillar. I ended up wrapping our pillars in SST sheet as our camper is generally against or pretty close to pillar on left. After lining bed it would 'grab' camper.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyB wrote:

I did this on my truck for a 5th wheel 7-way connection a few years back. worked great... Looked similar to this GOOGLE SEARCH view...

Keep in mind that this is a very bad location for a truck camper since many barely slide by the tailgate opening.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

2oldnslow
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that the Lance plug is not the same as a standard RV 7 pin plug like the ETRAILER unit referenced above. The Lance plug uses 8AWG wire for charge and return (ground) while the RV plug is limited to 10AWG.

If you want to run the fridge on 12V while driving you will need to use the Lance plug and wire it into your truck with 8AWG wire. The OEM truck wiring is too small.

You can put an RV plug on the camper and use the OEM connector on the truck if you never want to run the fridge on 12V.

My used Lance came to me with an RV plug on its harness. The PO said it was put on by the dealer he bought it from, but it was wired differently than the RV standard. I re-wired it to standard and use the trucks 7 pin connector for lighting. I use a separate (Anderson Powerpole) plug for charging. This works well, but it means I have to disconnect 2 plugs when taking the camper off the truck.
2005 GMC 2500HD
1998 Lance 845
320AHr Battery Bank
400W Solar Array
Morningstar ProStar 30 PWM Controller
NovaKool R5810 5.8cf 12VDC Refridgerator (best mod ever!)

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
In the TCU thread theres a link to Lance-you can download manual for the 97 your considering. Also about a 1/3 way down under Camper electrical 12v... a couple of threads on the Lance plug and wiring.
Either source shows the Lance plug wiring, sizing and colors.
Yes the Lance plug is proprietary.

a-yes: b-yes: c1-yes,c2-?

a-Yes: b-you could or DIY: c-you could run to rear but you cant regain loss thru truck wiring, depending on size, though likely be adequate, certainly simpler but marginal adapting what you get to what you have.

Though I would simply add bed plug (either the Lance or standard 7-pin bed plug/swap camper side) and be done on the '97 as this may be temporary, not sure. If you want/need to take advantage of the 8ga wire on the Lance (or others) I assume some wiring would need to be done on truck side. If a keeper (and TC down the road) thats what Id recommend (at minimum).
This only affects and related to charging rate ability from truck to camper. Camper running/tail lights not so much.
Otherwise plug location, sizing mute, save or postpone upgrade till you get another camper (IF). You can always add larger secondary supply plug (and appropriate wiring), if you need it.
Few variables but the 'interim' slide in camper not sure how much you want to invest in maximizing wiring for it.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to check with ETRAILER. They have a nice install package where you can have a 7-way connection from your truck bed.

They also sell a long 7-way extension cable where you can plug into the the bumper 7-way connection.

I did this on my truck for a 5th wheel 7-way connection a few years back. worked great... Looked similar to this GOOGLE SEARCH view...

ETRAILER is a great source for all things trailers...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
I added the proprietory plug to the front of my truck bed. Took me a few hours of tinkering and finding the right wires. The dealer could probably do it for you likity split. Now it if I ever get another Lance brand, and I most likely will, I'm good to go!
Personally, I would not chop the current plug off. The wire to charge the battery is larger than the other harnesses as to keep the fridge maintained on 12 volt while traveling.
Enjoy!
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search - Torklift 3-Way Wiring Pigtail.

I added one of those to my 2008 Dodge 3500. My 2013 RAM 3500 came with a 7-pin receptacle installed in the bed.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I noticed an improvement in charging time using the Lance system.

When I bought my 2008,the dealer wired up a special 8 ga Lance harness in the truck to the front of the camper. This replaces the standard Bargman 10 ga. that most trucks have at the rear of trucks.
My Lance has an isolator in the Camper to prevent the camper from draining the trucks battery when dry camping. GM does not have isolators in the truck, so that's a good advantage. I think Ford does have a standard OEM isolator in the Ford tow packages. However Lance uses there own as it was explained to me.
http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Lance-6-way-wiring-schematic.pdf

There is a Lance video of the system which explains it better than I can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtJtt6a0XXI