cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with my new (to me) Caribou

jriggs10
Explorer
Explorer
Hey there helpful camper crew! We went on our first camping trip last weekend and I had a couple of questions about our '98 Caribou camper.

Hot water heater- The pilot light fires up but no hot water, not sure if there is a valve that I didn't turn on to get hot water to the tank maybe?

Refrigerator- I had it on gas, and when we were travelling, it turned off, is there a different way to travel and keep it on? It looks like it runs on gas or 12v (I am assuming that means the electricity when it is plugged in?)

Gas forced air heater- When I got the camper, the fuse for the heater was blown, I replaced it and turned on the thermostat and nothing happened... I thought there would be a place to light the pilot light, but there is nothing on the outside of the camper or where the grate comes off.

Storage- There are four storage compartments that go into the bed of the truck. Best idea of things to store in there? Also, Not sure where to store fishing poles/shovels/etc.

Thanks again all for your help!!

Jeff and family
16 REPLIES 16

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
jriggs10 wrote:
Gas forced air heater- When I got the camper, the fuse for the heater was blown, I replaced it and turned on the thermostat and nothing happened... I thought there would be a place to light the pilot light, but there is nothing on the outside of the camper or where the grate comes off.

First thing that comes to mind - Blower Motor not turning. I have the same situation on a motor home. When I switch the thermostat to heat, it immediately blows a fuse. I have to remove it to check it out.

There are not very many components to the heater. Blower motor, gas valve, ignition device, control board, and sail switch. If the blower motor is not turning, I would check that first. The thermocouple tells the control board that the burner is ignited. The sail switch tells the control board that air is moving through the heater.

When all these are working correctly you have heat.

Jeff and family

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jriggs10 wrote:
Hey there helpful camper crew! We went on our first camping trip last weekend and I had a couple of questions about our '98 Caribou camper.

I'll give this a shot but it's worth as much as you paid!!

Hot water heater- The pilot light fires up but no hot water, not sure if there is a valve that I didn't turn on to get hot water to the tank maybe?

You may have a water heater bypass for winterization. It is a hose that usually runs along side the tank with 3 valves. One at the top, middle and bottom. Try reversing each valve from it's present position. The top and bottom valve should both be in the same position opposite the middle. If your tank is empty the WH will not heat. Hope this makes sense!!

Refrigerator- I had it on gas, and when we were travelling, it turned off, is there a different way to travel and keep it on? It looks like it runs on gas or 12v (I am assuming that means the electricity when it is plugged in?)

I also had one that the wind, while travelling, would blow out. I just left if off until I reached my destination for the night and re lit. If you run it for a couple days before you leave and get things good and cold should be no problem. The 12 volt is for running it off your camper battery which is a bad idea. Takes more juice than is put in and runs battery dead in an hour.

Can't help on this one.

Storage- There are four storage compartments that go into the bed of the truck. Best idea of things to store in there? Also, Not sure where to store fishing poles/shovels/etc.

Pretty much anything that will fit. Good place for small gas cans or the little bottles of propane. I carry a short shovel in there.

Jeff and family
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.