Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holding Tanks

oil8390
Explorer
Explorer
a question regarding the holding tanks.
I have a 25 gallon black tank, how much water should i add to it before i use it for the first time in our new trailer and whats the easiest way to do that?
11 REPLIES 11

6_2Superduty
Explorer
Explorer
I put about 3 gallons of water in the tank when leaving home. It will slosh around the tank on the way to the campground.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
oil8390 wrote:
I have a 25 gallon black tank, how much water should i add to it before i use it for the first time in our new trailer and whats the easiest way to do that?

3 to 4 gallons. Empty your black only when it is almost full.
When you see/hear a gurgling and a bubbling sound, it is time to empty. If you have a back flush connection on the side, hook it up before you start emptying your black tank and leave it run until the tank is empty. Then close the black valve and let the black tank fill about 1/2 way, then open the black tank valve until the tank is empty again, this will wash down the inside of the tank. Close the valve and put in about 3 gal. of water. Job done

Unfortunatly, your gauges are as about as accurate as a crystal ball to tell your Future:) Trailer gauges for your black and gray tanks are useless!!!

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
For that size tank a couple of gallons should suffice, there is no exact amount really, some use a bit more and some use less, you want to have some water in the black tank at all times during the active RVing season.

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Learn something new everyday. Never really thought about it. I think the first flush was a rest stop induced flush.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Fill toilet bowl full and flush
do it twice

Idea is too keep bottom of tank WET that way stuff doesn't stick and dry out

My procedure exactly. Fill toilet bowl and dump it twice.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do two gallons.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
oil8390 wrote:

10% capacity of the tank or in your case 2 to 3 gals water is fine. Just dump the in the toilet and open the valve so it drops into the BW tank below.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We've never had black tank issues. I use a bucket of soapy water to wash my hands after dumping and put it (2 gallons) in the toilet immediately after dumping. This sloshes around on the drive home and keeps it wet while sitting.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
oil8390 wrote:

3 to 4 gallons. Empty your black only when it is almost full.
When you see/hear a gurgling and a bubbling sound, it is time to empty. If you have a back flush connection on the side, hook it up before you start emptying your black tank and leave it run until the tank is empty. Then close the black valve and let the black tank fill about 1/2 way, then open the black tank valve until the tank is empty again, this will wash down the inside of the tank. Close the valve and put in about 3 gal. of water. Job done

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Fill toilet bowl full and flush
do it twice

Idea is too keep bottom of tank WET that way stuff doesn't stick and dry out

Good advice.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT