cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda or Yamaha (2) 2000 Watt generators parallel together

Charm
Explorer
Explorer
I have l5,000 btu air conditioner on our rv. Went to Nascar race last week and saw alot of rvs with (2) 2000 watt generators parallel together. Talked to several people who were very pleased with the set up. Can run one just for lights etc. and start up second generator to power the air conditioner when needed. I forgot to ask the people I talked with if they had a 13.5 or a 15m btu. I talked to Honda and Yamaha directly and they will not guarantee that the generators can handle the amps needed to start the 15 m btu air conditioner. I'm hoping someone reading this forum might know or have the same situation. We are using a very noisy and heavy generator but wanting to change. Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
TInmania wrote:
Larryect wrote:

Probably apples and oranges. I have a 2400 and it does a great job. But it is not set up for parallel operation. My understanding is that the engine on it is over-sized and the same one they use on a larger unit - I think the 3kw.....

It has started and run my 15k AC. But it and the AC unit struggled, and it had no head room left.....

In fairness it is advertised to run most 13.5k ACs so just running a 15k ain't bad.

And, yes its 171cc engine is the same as in the ef2800i as well as the ef3000i models. Presumably the alternator and/or inverter portion is better as you move up the product line.

Mike

Correct. Not complaining at all. It ran my 13.5 fine with the hard start kit. Wish I could parallel it with a 2000. That would be sweet.

As it is I am trying to decide what to do next.... actually hard to justify changing currently because we normally frequent parks with hookups.

Maybe I wasn't being clear before. You were comparing surge capability of 2kw units with your experience of larger units having good surge capability. That may not carry over for the 2 kw units as their engines may be sized closer to their ratings.....

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
Larryect wrote:

Probably apples and oranges. I have a 2400 and it does a great job. But it is not set up for parallel operation. My understanding is that the engine on it is over-sized and the same one they use on a larger unit - I think the 3kw.....

It has started and run my 15k AC. But it and the AC unit struggled, and it had no head room left.....

In fairness it is advertised to run most 13.5k ACs so just running a 15k ain't bad.

And, yes its 171cc engine is the same as in the ef2800i as well as the ef3000i models. Presumably the alternator and/or inverter portion is better as you move up the product line.

Mike

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
gmckenzie wrote:
Just a comment for those of us north of the border that the Cdn versions of the EU2001 cannot be ganged together.

Well yes and no ... Cdn versions don't have the factory installed parallel ports but all they actually do is connect the output receptacles of each genset together. Use your imagination and I'm sure you can figure out how a couple of Cdn EU2000i gensets could in fact be "ganged together". ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
TInmania wrote:
ScottG wrote:
While I'm not a big fan of Honda's gens, a recent test run by a buddy and I showed that the Honda has a lot better surge capacity than the Yami. The difference was dramatic.
He ended up selling it on fleabay and is looking at getting something else.

I can only speculate that was a fluke. I have seen many tests showing Yamahas testing well above the rated surge capacity.

The EF2400i is rated at 2000w with 2400w surge. Hayes equipment tested one: "Load bank tested to hold a 25 Amp load* for up to 10 seconds. That's 3000 Watts of surge capability."

That is quite a bit higher than advertised.
http://www.hayesequipment.com/yamaha_generators/ef2400is.htm

My EF2800i seems to also put out a little more than its surge rating--or even normal rating. I have had it running my 13.5k btu AC while running the microwave, with the fridge on AC. Normally I would run the fridge on LP but had forgotten. But it easily runs the AC and 900w microwave (which draws over 1300w),

Mike

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Just a comment for those of us north of the border that the Cdn versions of the EU2001 cannot be ganged together.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
While I'm not a big fan of Honda's gens, a recent test run by a buddy and I showed that the Honda has a lot better surge capacity than the Yami. The difference was dramatic.
He ended up selling it on fleabay and is looking at getting something else.

I can only speculate that was a fluke. I have seen many tests showing Yamahas testing well above the rated surge capacity.

The EF2400i is rated at 2000w with 2400w surge. Hayes equipment tested one: "Load bank tested to hold a 25 Amp load* for up to 10 seconds. That's 3000 Watts of surge capability."

That is quite a bit higher than advertised.
http://www.hayesequipment.com/yamaha_generators/ef2400is.htm

My EF2800i seems to also put out a little more than its surge rating--or even normal rating. I have had it running my 13.5k btu AC while running the microwave, with the fridge on AC. Normally I would run the fridge on LP but had forgotten. But it easily runs the AC and 900w microwave (which draws over 1300w),

Mike

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
There is a mod that can be done on the Hondas to allow them to be run out of fuel like the Yamahas.

Not really a mod per se, just disconnect the 2-pin connector that feeds the Honda's common fuel / ignition switch ... when you turn the switch off to kill fuel flow the switch is electrically disabled from killing the ignition so the engine continues to run until it runs out of fuel. For occasional use just pulling this connector apart works just fine but for those that would want to do this regularly installing a simple toggle switch in the wires would make it much more convenient. I've disabled my first EU2000i many times and doing so works exactly as described but I've not bothered with the one I have now as I run it using only SeaFoam treated non-ethanol gas and run the genset every couple of weeks so fuel gum up hasn't been a problem for me.

I've owned 2 EU2000i gensets and there's no question the Honda with it's 20% larger engine offers much better surge capability than does the Yamaha EF2000iS. For any who doubt just how capable the EU2000i is there are several YouTube videos out there, this being one ...

Honda EU2000i (Over)Load Test

In another recent discussion it was also mentioned that the Yamaha EF2000iS is NOT recommended for use with the Progressive Industries EMS units and warranty coverage for any damage caused when doing so will be denied by the manufacturer ...

Progressive Industries EMS / Yamaha EF2000iS Disclaimer

Obviously one could side step this issue by disconnecting the EMS or bypassing it when powering from the genset, or installing a transfer switch, but I'd still consider this a drawback to the EF2000iS compared to the EU2000i since there's no similar disclaimer for Honda's EU2000i. However, even for those not using any type of electrical management system OR for those who do but bypass it when running on genset that still doesn't address Progressive's main concern about the EF2000iS ...

"Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power. Progressive Industries units are designed to operate only on a True Sine Wave."

Presumably Progressive wouldn't make this statement on their own website if they'd not investigated thoroughly, the point being that if the EF2000iS, which is advertised by Yamaha as a true sine wave inverter, in fact does not generate true sine wave under ALL circumstances then I'd be really concerned for some of the electronics in my trailer. Based on this alone the Honda EU2000i would seem to have the clear advantage.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
My Hondas have run my 15K at 9200 ft. Not sure just how much they had left, and it wasn't super hot out, but hot enough to make us want the air. Of course it doesn't really get very hot at that elevation.
I do have them jetted for higher elevations.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
I have used my parallel Yamaha generators to run my 15k AC at home (close to 6000'). They can do it, but I don't think they would handle much more.

I really like my Yami's, but I think if I were doing it again I would go with Honda. It is my understanding that they have a fuel pump and are easier to use an extended run tank with.

The advantage of the Yami's is the fuel shut off. Easy to run the carbs out of fuel and not worry about them gumming up.
You hit the nail on the head.
There is a mod that can be done on the Hondas to allow them to be run out of fuel like the Yamahas. I haven't bothered with it, as I use mine so often that fresh fuel isn't a problem.

So I feel that light users may be better off with the Yamahas, as the fuel shutoof is likely a feature they need, and the extended tank is likely not.

Heavy users will likely appreciate the extended run capability of the Honda and not miss the fuel shutoff at all.

This is for "stock" generators.
If one is willing to do a simple mod of installing the fuel shutoff on the Honda, then it wins easily.

Your money, your choice.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
TInmania wrote:
The hybrid inverters I have seen for RVs are nice but more than I need and cost as much as another 2kw inverter generator.
Yes exactly. Skip the second Honda and get a small Victron Multiplus.

Less set up and maintenance with just one generator.
Also have inverter to watch tv etc when the generator needs to be off.
I camp a lot in remote areas. Upon setting up one time, The pull cord on one of my Hondas broke, and dissappeared inside. I was sure glad I had another Honda with me. Saved me an entire day and a tank of fuel running arouns after parts when I wanted to be hunting.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
My Champion 2000s (1700 watts each) will do it.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
TInmania wrote:
The hybrid inverters I have seen for RVs are nice but more than I need and cost as much as another 2kw inverter generator.
Yes exactly. Skip the second Honda and get a small Victron Multiplus.

Less set up and maintenance with just one generator.
Also have inverter to watch tv etc when the generator needs to be off.

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
I would also strongly recommend that you look into the Champion 3100w inverter. I have a 15k ac and my Champion 3100 will run it in eco mode. Quiet, efficient and their customer service and tech response is phenomenal. And, believe it or not, even after hours, you talk to Americans.

I had an issue, was user error, when I first got mine. Called in, left a message, within 20 minutes I had a call back and the guy was awesome. After he solved my problem he gave me some other little tips and tricks.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have used my parallel Yamaha generators to run my 15k AC at home (close to 6000'). They can do it, but I don't think they would handle much more.

I really like my Yami's, but I think if I were doing it again I would go with Honda. It is my understanding that they have a fuel pump and are easier to use an extended run tank with.

The advantage of the Yami's is the fuel shut off. Easy to run the carbs out of fuel and not worry about them gumming up.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010