cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda Pilot used as a tow vehicle

blueTAB
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a new tow SUV for a T@B trailer about 2000#.
Is a 2017 Honda Pilot a good choice?
Can anyone give me MPG when towing?
24 REPLIES 24

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 23' TT for a 3 seasons, maxing out my Honda Pilot at the time. (with WDH attached, scaled weights were within all capacities)

Stability is all you need to be concerned about if towing near max. A 2000-3000lbs TT should be pretty easy and should not require anything but your tires aired up to max cold (44psi). The only actual mod I did was swap wheels and tires for low profile ultra high performance tires and going from 600lb to 1000lb WDH bars stiffened the rear end perfectly.

Stopping, Starting and acellerating are a non-issue, even at max.

You'll often run 3-4k RPM @ 65mph in D3. This sort of RPM is very normal for most gas engines while towing a large box regardless of weight.

MPG was the same as the 5.7L V8 I pulled it with for 1 summer. 8-10mpg and as low as 7mpg with strong headwinds.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Good grief people, he is trying to tow a tiny aerodynamic trailer that will weigh 3000lbs stuffed full of rocks, with a vehicle rated to tow either 3500lbs or 5000lbs. Some of the responses here are just laughable.

I can understand having differing opinions, but some of you need to take the blinders off. The OP is not trying to tow your massive TT or 5ver. The OP is not trying to move bulldozers. They are towing a literal drop in the bucket.

Big heavy trailers need big heavy tow vehicles. Small light trailers need small light tow vehicles. It's really pretty simple.

If the Pilot has the factory tow package, hook up and hit the road. If not, get the parts you need, install them, THEN hook up and hit the road.

yep, he doesn't need a F550 for this task. :s
bumpy

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good grief people, he is trying to tow a tiny aerodynamic trailer that will weigh 3000lbs stuffed full of rocks, with a vehicle rated to tow either 3500lbs or 5000lbs. Some of the responses here are just laughable.

I can understand having differing opinions, but some of you need to take the blinders off. The OP is not trying to tow your massive TT or 5ver. The OP is not trying to move bulldozers. They are towing a literal drop in the bucket.

Big heavy trailers need big heavy tow vehicles. Small light trailers need small light tow vehicles. It's really pretty simple.

If the Pilot has the factory tow package, hook up and hit the road. If not, get the parts you need, install them, THEN hook up and hit the road.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Huh --- I never think HONDA and TOWING in the same thought. Just me!
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 Pilot and tow a 5x12 flatbed with golf cart. Trailer towing with standard FWD Pilot up to 3,000, it should be equipped with the optional hitch and transmission cooler to be on the safe side.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed a 17' hybrid TT with a 2006 Pontiac Torrent for a bit. The Torrent had a 3500# tow rating, and the RV fully loaded for a trip was 3500#. It did the job OK, and was a good match for the short trips we did with it to local campgrounds. Not a combination I'd want to take to the mountains however. I got about 10 mpg. The RV we have is 8' wide though, so a narrower, more aerodynamic T@B, and a newer, more powerful SUV would improve things.

I'd say it'll be a fine combo and get 10-12 mpg.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the Pilot to get the 5000lb towing, you have to go with the AWD. We pulled a 12' box Pop Up that had a dinette slide (2500lb dry) with a 2002 Pilot. It handled it pretty well. The rear end is a little soft, especially when You get 4 bikes on the roof, 4 people and a golden retriever in it. It rode and handled fine, but it really squatted. Airbags, or Timbrens would probably help.

We have absolutely no regrets on the Pilot, it has 245k miles on it, and has never had any issues with the engine or transmission. We moved up to a big TT, but we still use it to pull a 3000lb boat when we take the boat camping.

All that said, the Pilot will handle it fine.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
I'd be very skeptical about towing with a Pilot. Hondas have been known for very serious transmission problems with their 6 cylinder vehicles.

Forum member Last Train tows the same trailer I own, a Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS but a newer model year, with his Honda Pilot. Mine typically averages ~ 4800 lbs loaded & ready to camp, I'd expect his to weigh around the same, and although I tow with a 1/2 ton Silverado he seems to be satisfied with how his Pilot handles his trailer. The OP might want to PM Last Train for more info.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Samsonsworld wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Samsonsworld wrote:
Front wheel drive vehicles belong in back, not in front. JMO.

Why?

You're taking weight off the front wheels when adding a trailer. Traction isn't as good as rear wheel to begin with.

If he has the Pilot rated for 5000 lb towing then he has AWD.

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled a Chalet folding trailer with our 2006 AWD Pilot and it did great. Used the Pilot for towing our 3500 lb. Lance 1575 with mixed results. The rear suspension was too soft but rectified it with Timbrens. With the Andersen WDH, got the handling under control. The Pilot did fine on flat and rolling terrain, but struggled in the mountains. To keep up with traffic on uphill climbs, 5000 rpm in 3rd gear. Little engine braking on long descents, requiring a lot of braking to the point that I was afraid of brake fade. Then the transmission began making suspicious sounds and wasn't always shifting properly. After a year, I upgraded to a 2013 Ford Expedition, which is a suburb towing vehicle.

So, long story short, if your towing is limited to the midwest, you are probably fine with with the Pilot. If you plan on towing in mountains, I don't think the Pilot is a good choice.

Bruce
2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Lol at some of the responses.......
Yes, a new Pilot is a fine tow vehicle for a little trailer like that.
Mpg? Dunno but youโ€™re not going to find a magic vehicle that gets significantly better mileage under the same load (within reason) unless you go diesel.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 3500 lb + TT with my Highlander rated for 5,000 lbs. and think your Pilot would be overkill for a tab assuming it has tow package, etc. when I bought the Pilot was rated for 5,000 lbs. if towing a boat, and 3500 lbs. for a tT. don't know current numbers.

get 22/23 mpg and 14 mpg towing.
bumpy

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Samsonsworld wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Samsonsworld wrote:

Why?

You're taking weight off the front wheels when adding a trailer. Traction isn't as good as rear wheel to begin with.

Every Pilot in my neck of the woods is AWD. I can't vouch for Ohio where OP lives but I'd bet most are AWD there as well.

I don't disagree that a standard R/4WD truck is a better towing platform, but we're talking about an awfully small trailer here that should be no issue for a Pilot.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Samsonsworld wrote:

Why?