cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot Tub in Your Campsite

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to have some fun while camping. Tried it out for the first time in Mexico on the beach and it works outstanding.

Single , no kids.......gotta spend my money on something fun, only $360
94 REPLIES 94

BenDover
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
If more people do this electricity will be metered every where.

Yeah, it won't be the three 15K BTU air conditioners on the roof or the electrical space heaters running 24/7 that forces them to increase their prices even more; it will be this little hot tub. It's also dangerous and destroys the planet. Ban plz1!!

/facepalm

I'm just wondering how it's emptied without flooding the place and if they complained about the water usage but there again water is free or should be.

Cool view and amazing setup. More people need to do this.

Why do you have two chairs and a hot tub if you're single?

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
friggin awesome!
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
rerod wrote:

... Someone's complaining about how the pump/heater unit stopped working, or couldn't heat and maintain the temperature..

Its to bad you cant buy one that's built well, or without the cheesy pump/heater. So you could build a decent reliable system ready for cooler outdoor temps and years of use..

You've got to remember, these Coleman inflatable hot tubs cost only $399 or less and plug into a normal household outlet (110 volt). The pump is small, but does work quite well for it's intended purpose.

Now, if you wanted to spend $4000 - $8000 for a 220 volt, insulated, weather tight, hot tub, well ... you can. But it WON'T be inflatable or portable. I know, we've searched for about 10 years looking for a simple (inexpensive) hot tub that did not require another $3000 to run an electric line at our house for underground wire that's rated 50 amp and 220 volt! Because, that's why the hot tubs require, if you're looking for one to meet your criteria.

Then, you have to keep the pumps running during the winter, keep the chemicals in the tub and pray you don't have a power outage with you get it hit a foot or two of snow and the weight of the snow takes out a power line and the entire county is out of electricity for 3 or 4 day! (which does happen where I live).

I cannot understand, absolutely cannot understand how anyone can compare a $399 inflatable portable, 110 volt hot tub to a $4000 unit and expect it to be the same thing! Get real! You want that kind of durability, you have to pay the price.

It's kind of like the entry level camper you can purchase for $15,000 and the luxury model for $115,000. Can you compare the two? Are they held to the same standard? Well ... some people try to!

The Coleman comes with instructions with NOT use the hot tub in temperatures under 40 degrees. I don't know why? Perhaps the air in the tub keeping it inflated with decompress and cause it get soft and potentially collapse? Maybe the pump simply cannot maintain temperatures that low and keep the water heated to 104 degrees. Maybe the pump is simply not designed to function in 40 degree weather. (Here again, you get what you pay for!).

But I for one am VERY happy and please with our purchase. It's working very well and so far we've had no issues. We ARE NOT abusing it either, rough-housing with it, or being just plain stupid acting like crazy nuts to see how destructive we can be before it's destroyed and then complain it's "inferior quality!" NO, NO, NO! Used with the intent for which it was designed, and use it within the guide lines outlined by the manufacturer, and it's a good, inexpensive, and fun toy for adult usage! I would never let kids play in my tub alone ... never! It's not designed for that kind of rough housing!

When reading those types of reviews, you REALLY have to ask the question, "What did the person posting the complaint do to cause something to happen and now they are are just yelling - foul!"

Even if my tub dies tonight, I've had 2 good months of a lot of "soaking". For $399, you couldn't get it that cheap if you belong to a health spa with 4 people using it several times a day (and night)!

PSU1999
Explorer
Explorer
That's so awesome! I love it!
Me - PSU 1999
Wife - Also PSU 1999
Daughter - Hopefully PSU 2026
Daughter - Hopefully PSU 2029
Twin Daughters - Hopefully PSU 2033
2015 Keystone Summerland 2980 BH TT
2007 Chevy Suburban TV

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
I thought about this topic last week when I saw a similar unit at Walmart. It was the Intex PurSpa and it was $329.

Every review I read about all inflatable hot tubs.. Someone's complaining about how the pump/heater unit stopped working, or couldn't heat and maintain the temperature..

Its to bad you cant buy one that's built well, or without the cheesy pump/heater. So you could build a decent reliable system ready for cooler outdoor temps and years of use..
12 valve ram

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I thought about this topic last week when I saw a similar unit at Walmart. It was the Intex PurSpa and it was $329.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
wrenchbender wrote:
I hope you got WRECKED AT THE REEF.

ABSOLUTELY!!
One of the reasons I stay at the Reef, so I can walk next door and get wrecked at Wrecked At The Reef bar.

I know all the girl bartenders there (3 hot sisters) and cook up some good food for them while I'm there. Maybe I'll get a pic of them in the hot tub next week!

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you got WRECKED AT THE REEF.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport, glad you are having a great time!
I'm about to head back to mexico in 3 days and set it up on the beach again. Nothing like coming out of the ocean and right in the hot tub......especially at night looking at the stars.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport update:

Coleman Hot Tub still working wonderful in the family room. I've not had to ad any air to keep it blown up. Leaving the top on it when no in use eliminates water evaporation and putting moisture in the house. We keep spa chemical in it so the water is crystal clear. We clean the filters every day. We turn the pump off at night when we go to bed, turn it back on in the morning when we go to work so it will heat back back up to 104 when we get home from work. On week-ends we keep it running all the time.

Water usage in the house has dropped. Our electric bill has dropped (we're on a well) in spite of running the pump on the hot tub. I drain the tub about 2/3rd down every 2 weeks now to replenish with fresh water. I simply siphon with a garden hose and refill with the same home from the Laundry Room. I put a Y connector on the hot water side of the washing machine faucet with a quick disconnect so I don't have to unhook the washing machine every time.

Now ... about draining .... Seems everyone on this thread is most critical about draining, gray water, and such ...

I drain it when I do the water replenish out our back door right in the grass. And to settle this discussion for all the critics, it's NOT that much water! 225 gallons is not much at all. The spot where it drains in the grass gets more mushy after a gentle rain than the water from the tub when draining.

We don't use chlorine in the tub, we use bromine and it does not hurt the grass at all. Any chemical smell (which there really isn't any), dissipates in the air almost immediately. Because it drain slow, the ground absorbs as fast as it drains. No problem with wet spots, mushy ground, or water running down hill.

About usage IN the house! It's not a swimming pool where you can do cannon ball dives in, or a kiddie pool where kids splash.

Yes, we have our 2 year old grandson living with us. He LOVES the tub. He knows NOT to splash and jump around. We don't let him. We keep the cover on when not in use and keep the catches latched (there are 6 of them to secure the lid).

My cat has learned not to sleep on top of the tub. We broke him from jumping up on top of it simply by pouring a bucket of water on the top of the lid. Because its flexible and filled with air, when the cat jumps up on it, his weight cause the water to rush toward him. Well, after that happened twice, he's NEVER been back on top of the tub lid.

We absolutely love this tub. It's a lot of fun, and especially being inside the house, in the family room (which a concrete floor covered with stone tile), any small amounts of water that make the floor wet doesn't hurt anything. And to soak in the tub and watch the big screen TV above the fire place is simply WONDERFUL, 6 or 7 times a day!

The only problem we have wit the tub ... we go through a LOT of towels!

Don't know if we'd ever take this camping with us now though. We enjoy it so much in the house, I'd hate to take it somewhere, set it up, just to have a jealous camper punch it with a knife out of meanness!

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Think how great it would be to have one of these while boondocking in a really remote location! You could float around at night, looking up at the stars, even on a cold evening. Heavenly!

Unfortunately, I would not want to run my generator all the time to heat the water -- maybe a wood fired portable hot tub, filled with water from a mountain stream??

It'll never happen, at least not for me. Fun idea, though.

Yeah, I'm not much for bathing with strangers watching.. But remote? Heck YES !!

Problem I see, is after you fill it from the stream or lake, which you need to be 100 feet away from.. Will the ranger make you hire a septic truck to remove the grey water? Or fine you right after you dump it?
12 valve ram

BeckyIO
Explorer
Explorer
Haha! Pretty neat. I'm a frugal camper and I've only stayed in one RV park the whole 2.5 years I've been on the road that had a hot tub, it was amazing. Even better, it was in Reno, NV and was open year round. Was in it in December while viewing snow in the Sierras above.

Don't think I'd invest the time and money into getting a portable one, maybe I'll make friends with a camper who does. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Becky
Life's too short not to spend it doing something you love.
Lessons on the full-time RVing journey (my blog): Interstellar Orchard

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Wait till you turn on the bubbles.....it's serious.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL! Thanks for not standing up!!! :E

I now wish I would`ve picked this up over Christmas for the $299 it was on sale for! :S
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!