cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Tub in Your Campsite

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to have some fun while camping. Tried it out for the first time in Mexico on the beach and it works outstanding.

Single , no kids.......gotta spend my money on something fun, only $360
94 REPLIES 94

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
My wife just ordered one for me, for my birthday (April 16)! $399 from vm innovations inc. No tax either! Free Shipping!

During the course of this entire topic, I keep remembering from my childhood a Bugs Bunny cartoon. I did a quick Google search and found the image. Does this kind of remind you something?

When you get it please give us an update and the ins and outs of it..thinking of getting something small for home

Here ya go Bucky Badger! It arrived today, took about 45 minutes from box to completely set up (not knowing what I was doing and even watching the video). And it's filling with water now (almost full).

Actually, our laundry room is just off the family room, so I attached a garden hose to the hot water side of the washing machine faucet and started filling the tub. The water is NOW high enough the pump is running heating the water. A 30 gallon water heater doesn't put out THAT much hot water. BUT, it put out enough I could get in the tub and try it out! It's running right now as we are watching television (actually... watching "The Profit" on Hulu right now).

My first impressions.... VERY easy to set up, and I imagine, take down is just as easy. To drain, I'll just attach the same garden hose and run it out the front door into the yard.

It's now full, took about 45 minutes to fill it. Water is filtered through our house water filter system and water softener. The pump is very quiet.

About campgrounds, I think this small tub is a non-threat! It's small enough it would fit in the bed of my pick-up truck! I could then just drive it off the campsite, pull the plug and let the water drip on the road as I drive. No different than water in the bed of one's truck after a heavy rain or winter snow! (I'm just pipe dreaming now ... don't take that serious please).

Anywhere. Here ya go!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
The small, public, county owned, campgrounds I frequent would let you get away with it . They wouldn't care unless everybody at the campground showed up with one.

They might complain about the dead grass but, that is easily solved be setting it where the grass is already dead. These parks are so well used they have a hard time keeping the grass growing near the campers anyway.

I imagine government owned parks would be the best place to use them because utility cost are not part of the equation for the employees working there.
Taxpayers will provide all the funds necessary no matter what. Making a profit is not critical. Therefore the cost to heat the pools or provide the water are irrelevant.
If water use or utilities increase the taxpayers will cover it. Use as much as you want the taxpayers don't care!

Oh , I don't know about that. At my parks they are always complaining about money and cutting back on services. It's gotten so those of us that use the park have taken to doing some of the upkeep ourselves.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doug33 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
kevden wrote:
A hot tub would be great when camping in the walmart parking lot:B

Especially considering the one the OP posted is sold by WalMart!

My hot tub in the the backyard has a nice view of the stars at night and my pond where the frogs sing (chirp) to us. I don't think Walmart will be as aesthetic of a setting.... :E

You just have to be imaginative! Close your eyes and imagine that the people walking by are deer! And the rats that are running around are chipmunks!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
kevden wrote:

My hot tub in the the backyard has a nice view of the stars at night and my pond where the frogs sing (chirp) to us. I don't think Walmart will be as aesthetic of a setting.... :E
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
My take on this after thinking about it is that I would probably be using it in the fall when it is cool. the rates are usually the same. you more than likely will not be using the A/C, so the electric will then be going to power the hot tub! the only difference is the water. in a campground that small amount of water is negligible and would never be noticed. the only real issue would be how it`s drained. I think most people would be smart and put down the drain. A small hot tub like that will take no more to run than a full size DP with 4-6 people inside. unless those 6 in the DP brought one with them!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
CavemanCharlie wrote:
The small, public, county owned, campgrounds I frequent would let you get away with it . They wouldn't care unless everybody at the campground showed up with one.

They might complain about the dead grass but, that is easily solved be setting it where the grass is already dead. These parks are so well used they have a hard time keeping the grass growing near the campers anyway.

I imagine government owned parks would be the best place to use them because utility cost are not part of the equation for the employees working there.
Taxpayers will provide all the funds necessary no matter what. Making a profit is not critical. Therefore the cost to heat the pools or provide the water are irrelevant.
If water use or utilities increase the taxpayers will cover it. Use as much as you want the taxpayers don't care!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My wife just ordered one for me, for my birthday (April 16)! $399 from vm innovations inc. No tax either! Free Shipping!

During the course of this entire topic, I keep remembering from my childhood a Bugs Bunny cartoon. I did a quick Google search and found the image. Does this kind of remind you something?

Not necessarily so ridiculous though. I found this one too:

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I say, do it if you want, use some common sense and don't ruin it for others. As for the electric and water use, the park knows what the water and electric bill is and if they need to charge for metered electric and/or water use, that is their decision.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
kevden wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
or peeing in the water 😉

sorry, but had to. you know someone is going to bring it up on this forum :S
I love me some land yachting

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCVJeff wrote:
So this solves the heat and grass killing issues, and its been established the water won't kill the lawn.

Ya, but what about fire bans?!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
So this solves the heat and grass killing issues, and its been established the water won't kill the lawn.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
krobbe wrote:
At a rate of 11cents kW/hr it'll cost about $4/day or $120/month if the heater ran constant. Your mileage may vary.

If hot tubs cost that much to heat they wouldn't sell any. Our 575 gallon hot tub raised our light bill $8.00 a month and we are in a cold climate.

Well, I did stipulate "if the heater ran constant".
If it cost you $8 a month, and your heater is 1500W, then it only ran for 48hrs for the whole month. (if your electric rate is 11cents per kW/hr)

Most tubs the circulating pump generates some heat through friction which helps maintain the heat level without running the heating unit non stop. I never understood how that works nor was I ever interested enough to study up on it.:B While it would be pretty nice to have on a campsite, I always enjoy ours the most when there is a foot of snow on the ground. BTW, our rate is .08 per KWH.