cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How bad is this?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have been RVing for years and have undertaken extensive repairs on my TT to remediate water leaks.

I know in general how RVs are constructed and am not afraid of tearing into them for repairs, but don't know much about truck campers per se. DW and I have been contemplating selling the TT and getting a TC or Class C, and this one popped up.

This is a 2001 Lance camper with a slide, dry inside, but the RF corner where the jack goes is shot. It's sitting on cinder blocks and not sure how to get it on a truck to move it.

We were looking for a project, but am concerned about the fiberglas buckled on the opposite corner....it this a major structural damage?

The price is right, what are your thoughts?

This is the RF corner where the jack attaches

Here is the other side

55 REPLIES 55

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
burningman wrote:

You’ll wonder how you would ever have accomplished the cuts it can do, in the places it can do them.

I have good memory. Couple of those

I’ve done that... it can’t begin to do the cuts one of those oscillating saws will.
I also bought it to do those undercuts on trim and door jambs for new flooring.
Turned out to be a wonder tool, lack of which explains why no life other planets has been found.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
No kidding, this has been my "go-to tool" for about 5 years now. I originally bought it to undercut door casings for installing tile and hardwood floors, but it did prove to be real handy on the last TT repair project.

My only complaint is that blades are expensive!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:

You’ll wonder how you would ever have accomplished the cuts it can do, in the places it can do them.

I have good memory. Couple of those

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes!! And both DeWalt and Milwaukee make cordless versions.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you don't already have one from your trailer project, get yourself an oscillating saw like this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fein_Multimaster_RS. It does wonders when you are working on the camper structure. Or at least it did for me.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I figured it to be an 8-footer because you could see under the sides of it all the way out the back, no rear overhang that covers the truck taillights.
If you had any 3/4 ton pickup you could carry that without issue.
You might want to just get an “overkill” one ton dually anyway and here’s why.
It would be absolutely effortless to haul that, it would drive like there’s nuthin’ to see here folks.
And also... the 8 gallon holding tanks!! What?? You’ll get tired of that soon enough and will likely end up wanting a bigger camper. If you buy a stout truck the first time, you can do whatever you want.
The extra width makes no difference because the camper is as wide as a dually pickup anyway.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
... but I didn't see anything that would indicate it's too far gone to save. ...

Perhaps keep in mind that if along the way that something comes up you could always permanently mount it on a trailer to use it if the stuff inside works but you determine something else gives you pause.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I had partial delamination on my Fleetwood and it is repairable if you can fold the outer sheet out and plywood behind is not badly rotten.
Using liquid nails, you zigzag the glue on the panels and press it back.
Pressing is tricky as you need to push big surface.
I had my camper park between house and masonry fence on other side, what gave me good support for pushing sticks. Used 2x12 planks to push as blocks for flat surfaces.
So if you avoid new siding purchase, the repair can be done in less than $100 material cost.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
Good news is it's 100% camper, I don't have to worry about axles, suspension, brakes and tires like I do on the TT.

But, it has jacks, you’ll need tiedowns, tiedown mounts, etc. The appliances may or may not work which includes furnace, water heater, stove, power converter, refrigerator.

Did you discuss the delamination with him? I think the normal fix is to replace the entire wall. That’s going to take some time.

Your estimate is $2000, but it might be off. If it ends up being twice that, are you still good with it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
In my area Home Depot rents a flatbed pickup for I think $75 a day. If you have something like that in your area it might work. Well providing the bed isn't too high.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK I met the owner today and got some additional info. The unit is actually a 2002 Lance 811, 2665 lbs dry and an 8'6" floor length. Guy said he bought the camper used and had it about 8 seasons with no issues. He had it in for service and the tech mentioned that the one jack was looking a little crooked, but he figured he would look at it end of season.

Apparently a leak had developed where the leg bracket bolted to the frame and water wicked in. Well he went to unload the camper in the storage yard 2 years ago and that right corner gave out and the jack ripped out of the rotten frame. The LF tweaked when the RF gave out. Guys claims everything worked 2 years ago when he parked it. It even has the optional Atwood remote control electric jacks.

The owner said he tried to scrap the unit, but the scrap guy said there was nothing inside he could sell (who wants 16 year old appliances) and it was going to cost $$ to haul it to the dump and pay the dump fees. So plan B was to see if he could give it away.

Got inside of it today and it was bone dry, just a little stale from being closed up for 2 years. Some mold on the shower curtain, but nowhere else.

It will need a new mattress, new flooring/carpeting, extensive cleaning, and obviously some repair, but I didn't see anything that would indicate it's too far gone to save. Said the circuit board in the fridge died but that he had a spare in the camper somehwere. I am figuring about $2000 to get this back into camping shape.

Good news is it's 100% camper, I don't have to worry about axles, suspension, brakes and tires like I do on the TT.

Truly is a weekend unit with only 8 gal gray and 8 gal black tank, but at least 33 gal fresh onboard. Brochure with specs here.

Sticker says 3017 dry as it left the factory. Guy said he had it on an F350 SRW 8' bed and it was fine, no issues.

We had some snow this morning, but will get back over there and grab some more pics when I have time. Storage yard is paid until May 1.

run100
Explorer
Explorer
It may just become the most expensive "free" item you've ever received! Look carefully before you jump.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Bedlam
Expect 4000-4500 lbs of payload mostly on your rear axle when ready to camp. You will be at the upper limits of a SRW 3500 and will have no reserve if you want bring along boat or something else in tow. Starting with a DRW will give you more choices (even if you don't take those till later).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, just like TTs and 5ers, although the mfrs are getting better about posting more accurate weights. So am I looking at a dually for this?