cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I remove the front window of Lance

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
I need to remove the front window of our Lance 1030. The wood is a little soft around the sides and bottom on the inside so I'd like to pull the window out and reseal everything and replace any wood that is rotted.
How does the window come out? Are there screws on the inside? I don't see any on the inside or outside.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL
9 REPLIES 9

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
I called Lance when I had the dry rot problem with my 1030's skirts (see the TCU for the write-up and pics). They suggested checking and re-sealing the door sill and the front window.

I didn't find any dry rot under the door sill, although I could see where water had been there. Sealed the wood and then put it all back together. No softness or problems in the cab over. I regularly check the front cupboards for any signs of mold indicating moisture. I have excessively caulked around the front window as well as the roof lights.

TC builders have gone away from the front windows because of the constant leaks. I don't like the enclosed feeling the new campers have, I like my window. Glad I keep my camper in a closed shop, I really believe that is the only thing that will keep any RV from deteriorating.
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Mote wrote:
JumboJet, Are you saying you did not reuse the front window? I assume you had to buy some metal (or fiberglass) to fill the hole. Where were you able to buy that ? Mine is metal.

Contacted Lance on material to use and purchased the fiberglass material to replace the entire nose. Purchased a decal from Lance to apply to the front.

FreeLanceing wrote:
I am looking to replace mine as well. How did you handle the inside.

We replaced inside with panels that came very close to matching the originals.

I will post pictures later.

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking to replace mine as well. How did you handle the inside. Seems to me me outside is pretty straight forward if you can source the metal skin. I am having a hard time deciding what to do with the inside. I thought patch and drywall mud. I think the mud would flex and crack in a camper. I am going to try and reset my glass once more (3rd time) with an auto glass sealent. I have the frame sealed but I get weeping in the corner of the glass. I can see many ways to do a redneck repair. I am having a hard time making it look factory inside and out.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
Mote wrote:
JumboJet wrote:
Be prepared for an "eye opener" if you have soft wood on the front around the window. I have rebuilt two TCs that had front windows with soft wood. One was a 2000 1030 and the other a 2001 820.

When rebuiding those did you peel back the siding from the top down on the outside to replace wood ?

Yes.

The rebuild of the 1030 required replacement of all the nose wood and even 2' of the overhang floor.

With the 1030 and 820, we did not use the front window and opted for a solid front.

JumboJet, Are you saying you did not reuse the front window? I assume you had to buy some metal (or fiberglass) to fill the hole. Where were you able to buy that ? Mine is metal.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Mote wrote:
JumboJet wrote:
Be prepared for an "eye opener" if you have soft wood on the front around the window. I have rebuilt two TCs that had front windows with soft wood. One was a 2000 1030 and the other a 2001 820.

When rebuiding those did you peel back the siding from the top down on the outside to replace wood ?

Yes.

The rebuild of the 1030 required replacement of all the nose wood and even 2' of the overhang floor.

With the 1030 and 820, we did not use the front window and opted for a solid front.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:

2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
okan-star wrote:
Look on the inside , in the inner ring of the window . Inner ring screws to window outer , clamp action .

Ah, I see now. That sounds simple enough then. The last camper I had was an older Dutchmen. The window had screws on the outside that screwed into the woood framing. This sounds much better.

thanks for the help.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
Look on the inside , in the inner ring of the window . Inner ring screws to window outer , clamp action .