cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you handle no toilet in Pop Up?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a used pop up camper for a short bed full size 3/4 ton truck.
A couple on my shortlist are....

2019 Norstar TC650 (without toilet). No cabinet for porta potty...it was used for additional battery

2004 Hallmark UTE XL (with toilet)

My camping locales include everything between no facilities (20%), to pit toilets (40%), to showers and toilets (40%).

Basically, deciding between the need to have a toilet or not in the pop up.

For those of you that have pop ups without a dedicated toilet, how do you handle your business....porta-potty, wag bags, ??

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
25 REPLIES 25

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
For those of you that have pop ups without a dedicated toilet, how do you handle your business....porta-potty, wag bags, ??

I can't answer your question because I never had a popup. But I used a porta potty for a long time in my dads 1966 beeline "my first camper" and my raven cuddy cabin boat. I had absolutely no problems what so ever that I can remember. I dumped at the end of the day depending on how drunk I was. Today they come in a huge variety of flavors and colors and I see some are even electric flush. The 2019 NorthStar TC650 Is a winning combo with your truck. I personally would not go with it but it's definitely a winning combo. I see no problem with this rig at all! The PP could possibly be stuck into the rear seat with a little bit of reconstruction etc... If nothing else at the very least you could take a dump behind a solid closed door and not a tent. The camper comes with a sink so you could freshen up and shower when you can. If your not ready for a toilet don't get one if you are do, the installed toilets are as much work if not more than a good PP.
Cheers, Joe

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I wonโ€™t argue the payload thing with you, as you donโ€™t understand what Iโ€™m saying. But suffice it to say, aside from the new vs old aspect and Iโ€™m sure the new truck has a heavier rear spring rate, both are comparable in real world rear axle safe payload.
There are a ton of advantages and new features and advancements, etc with the new rig. Itโ€™s just weight carrying ability apples to apples is not one of them.

This is not an affront to your new truck at all. The new gmcs are awesome and you have a great truck. Iโ€™d roll one of those all day long! Congrats!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
:S

But congratulations on the new rig! Comfort AND style!
So you started the thread a week or so ago when you still had the old superdoody and somehow thought it would only haul a tiny minimalist TC? (Not true, honestly it would haul similar weights similarly to the brand new Jimmy) And then decided to go for broke and get a new truck based on having a chitter in your maybe gonna get TC?

Never thought it would only haul a minimalist TC.

Payload between the 2003 and 2023 is 1225# so they are not similar.

New truck purchase is a personal choice.

Any yes...maybe a TC...maybe not!
:B
Equal-i-zer 10K

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
:S

But congratulations on the new rig! Comfort AND style!
So you started the thread a week or so ago when you still had the old superdoody and somehow thought it would only haul a tiny minimalist TC? (Not true, honestly it would haul similar weights similarly to the brand new Jimmy) And then decided to go for broke and get a new truck based on having a chitter in your maybe gonna get TC?

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck w the new setup!
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
A big thanks to all of you who provided "constructive comments." It helped me better understand what you did or do without a dedicated toilet. The commentary, I can do without.

As it turns out, I recent sold my 2003 Ford F350. The truck was part of the reason for being cautious on camper weight.

I am now the new proud owner of a 2023 GMC 3500HD 4X4...with 4225# of Payload!

Now as far as a toilet goes, there will be one whenever I chose to purchase a truck camper. Your assistance helped me decide that.

Thanks!
Equal-i-zer 10K

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^What he said. No bathroom, very little water storage and a very dinky fridge/freezer sort of defeats a lot of the purpose of a camper.
Esp the OP who hasnโ€™t ever alluded to being a tent camper or bucket shitttter and has had a TT for a long time.
But alas, some of the questions here still land somewhere between entertaining and amazing. โ€ฆ like โ€œWhere do I poop without h no toilet in my camper?โ€

If it "defeats the purpose" then why do they sell such useless units? Nobody should ever want one.

Lol. Well they donโ€™t sell a hell of a lot of โ€œem. And certainly not too many to people who have to ask the internet where they can poop if they buy oneโ€ฆjus sayin.

About that. The question wasn't so much where to poop, as they listed multiple options. Seemed more like they wanted to know what worked best.

Personally I could not tolerate any of it. I draw the line at porta johns. If I gotta poop in a bucket, I'm going home.

Hmm, I might add that to my signature...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^What he said. No bathroom, very little water storage and a very dinky fridge/freezer sort of defeats a lot of the purpose of a camper.
Esp the OP who hasnโ€™t ever alluded to being a tent camper or bucket shitttter and has had a TT for a long time.
But alas, some of the questions here still land somewhere between entertaining and amazing. โ€ฆ like โ€œWhere do I poop without h no toilet in my camper?โ€

If it "defeats the purpose" then why do they sell such useless units? Nobody should ever want one.

Hence the phrase 'everybody is different' and as such camp in different ways and has different objectives and priorities to their camping equipment.

Personally it goes something like this:

- no need to setup/take down a tent (everything remains dry)
- no need to setup/take down a bed (time+comfort saver)
- many/most items already packed and ready to go
- toilet a few feet away in dry & enclosed space
- heating system
- refrigeration (+ability to MAKE ICE)

so YES, I did count/list the toilet above heating and refrigeration however I'd guess that others list's will surely have a different order(s) as the above is just MY own personal reasons of owning a truck camper.

- Mark0.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Lol. Well they donโ€™t sell a hell of a lot of โ€œem. And certainly not too many to people who have to ask the internet where they can poop if they buy oneโ€ฆjus sayin.

MKish
Explorer
Explorer
Portapotty is just fine. Lose the extra battery to store it if you must. You shouldn't need one anyway--it's not like a NS 650TC has many things that use it.

(I have the slightly longer but pretty much the same 800.)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
time2roll wrote:
At this stage of life I would eliminate the 20% of locations with no facilities. Otherwise may as well have a tent and backpack.

Very few places I stay have facilities.

Even when I stay in a place with facilities, I prefer to use my own. Mine is clean, sanitary, and convenient. I am old and half the time I need a facilities visit in the middle of the night. If not then first thing in the morning before I am fully awake or dressed.
That is nice for you. What for the OP?

My advice was based on the OP having no facility in the camper. How would you proceed with no facility in the camper?

If you happened to notice, I was responding to another forum participant, not the OP.

I really do not know what sort of response the OP is looking for. If they want to buy a small popup truck camper and they claim there is no space for a cassette toilet, then I guess they will need to do without. I would not want to argue with the OP about the lack of space for a cassette toilet. They want to know how to deal with this. Nothing magic here. Either hold it or find another place to go. Backpackers often use a small plastic gardener's trowel. Or stay in campgrounds with some sort of facilities.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
JimK-NY wrote:
time2roll wrote:
At this stage of life I would eliminate the 20% of locations with no facilities. Otherwise may as well have a tent and backpack.

Very few places I stay have facilities.

Even when I stay in a place with facilities, I prefer to use my own. Mine is clean, sanitary, and convenient. I am old and half the time I need a facilities visit in the middle of the night. If not then first thing in the morning before I am fully awake or dressed.
That is nice for you. What for the OP?

My advice was based on the OP having no facility in the camper. How would you proceed with no facility in the camper?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III