cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How important to keep things level?

diver110
Explorer
Explorer
I know you have to keep things very flat to load and unload the camper, but let's say you are out camping in the boonies, with the camper on the truck. It is often not easy to find a fully flat spot. How big of a problem is it if the truck and thus the camper is not fully level?
31 REPLIES 31

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Fridge damage from operating 'off level' is accumulative...kinda like clogging arteries. You are not aware of the damage until it's too late.

"Time duration" has to be part of the equation.
5-minutes off level won't damage it. What about 5-hours? Or 24-hours?
Does the travel vibration tend to redistribute the cholesterol?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
If DW doesnt complain, you got it right
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I've found that if I don't roll out of bed at night, the eggs stay in the pan and the coffee doesn't spill out of the pot - close enough. Reasonably level is close enough, in my experience.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Is the concern you all have just when the frig is running or under all conditions?

Only when it is running.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Got a question for the frig experts. Is the concern you all have just when the frig is running or under all conditions? I store my camper fairly out of level so that water doesn't accumulate on my roof.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
Beside the fridge we level to make the satellite much easier to tune, and to have the shower drain properly. Also for just a comfortable TC. It is simple with quick release tiedowns and bubble levels fitted on the side and back at the passenger side rear. If we're way off level we will use leveling blocks to get us closer to level before finishing with the jacks.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Fridge damage from operating 'off level' is accumulative...kinda like clogging arteries. You are not aware of the damage until it's too late.

I agree...

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Roadlover
Explorer
Explorer
I have always done my best to keep it level and use blocks when I can but there are times when we go to so out of the way areas that "level" is just not going to happen. So far, we have never lost use of the refrigerator.
"The Journey is the Destination"

2015 GMC Denali 3500 DRW Duramax/Allison
TorkLift Talon Tiedowns, StableLoads and FastGuns with Locks

2012 Arctic Fox 1150 with Dry Bath with Fox Landing and Wobble Stoppers

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't found it to be critical at all.

We camped once at Sinks Canyon Park near Lander, WY. The sites although paved were really at quite an angle. In spite of using all my boards and ruining some Lynx levelers the front was still quite a bit higher than the rear. I got out of bed an almost fell out the back door!
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most absorption refrigerators are 6* front-back of fridge and 3* side-to-side of fridge. But since the fridge is mounted side-ways with the back to the passenger or driver's side, it is 6* side-to-side of truck and 3* front-back of truck.

Someone once calculated it for a typical crew cab long bed truck about 8" at the wheels in either direction.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stick to the half a bubble front to back on the truck. The fridge can tolerate more side-to-side on the truck, but I usually level to within a half bubble both ways because the camper gets uncomfortable much more than that out of level.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
As was stated read your manual, these jokers will tell you from dead level to 45*. My theory is if I can sleep with out to much discomfort I'm good to go.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Half a bubble is all the frige needs.....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a bubble level as long as its in the circle or darn close that works for me .and I,ve never had a frig problem.