cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much liquid will cover the bottom of my black tank?

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer
Just in general I know tanks are not all the same size but I have a 21' HTT the black tank is 22 gallons.

I want to keep some liquid in there sloshing around when I travelling (after dump) how much do you figure would cover the bottom?
22 REPLIES 22

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 5 gallon, use around 1/3 to 1/2 so somewhere around 2 gallons.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
We have a 45 gallon black tank. After dumping, I take a 3 gallon cat litter bucket, put in 1 cup of Calgon powdered water softener and 1 cup of el cheapo generic powdered laundry soap, fill the bucket with about 2.5 gallons of water, stir to dissolve the powders, then dump it down the toilet (the Geo method). I then refill the bucket with water and dump it down the toilet again. This gives me enough liquid (hopefully) to account for evaporation between trips, and as an added bonus it gets the toilet bowl so clean that I can't look directly at it without sunglasses!

I'm going to try this method for the first time this weekend...I hope to have as much success as you.

Thanks.
Me
My lovely and gracious wife
Maggie, our Yellow Lab
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 23B
2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited AWD

summertime_blue
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
path1 wrote:
After dumping, I fill up the toilet and flush 3 times. Don't know the amount of water in gallons or pints but I know I've never had any problems with black water tank. Sometimes if I think about it I'll toss some laundry soap or dish soap if going to travel far before I dump again.

X2...except I only do 2 toilet bowls
50 gallon black tank.

all of this plus a bag of ice before I hit the road, that's enough to get the tank spic and span!

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 2 gallon bucket, add treatment to bucket,add water to bucket,stir to mix treatment,dump into Black Tank and refill bucket with water and dump into tank again.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
1kennyOG wrote:
Just in general I know tanks are not all the same size but I have a 21' HTT the black tank is 22 gallons.

I want to keep some liquid in there sloshing around when I travelling (after dump) how much do you figure would cover the bottom?

If the tank is 22 gallons then 2 gallons will do it.

I would use at least a three gallon bucket to prevent spillage. ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 45 gallon black tank. After dumping, I take a 3 gallon cat litter bucket, put in 1 cup of Calgon powdered water softener and 1 cup of el cheapo generic powdered laundry soap, fill the bucket with about 2.5 gallons of water, stir to dissolve the powders, then dump it down the toilet (the Geo method). I then refill the bucket with water and dump it down the toilet again. This gives me enough liquid (hopefully) to account for evaporation between trips, and as an added bonus it gets the toilet bowl so clean that I can't look directly at it without sunglasses!
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You would need to know the tank dimensions to accurately answer this question
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

1kennyOG
Explorer
Explorer
my toilet holds less than 2 gallons.
I also dump in 2 gallons of an enzyme digester. it digests the******where soap just makes bubbles and perfume ๐Ÿ™‚

RVnRobin
Explorer
Explorer
First one full toilet bowl of water.
Second one full toilet bowl of water with one pint of PineSol. It must be 7-8 gallons.
When outside temps are above 90 degrees I use one quart of PineSol because the high temps seem to "cook" our waste and produces some odor before the tank gets full.
Last nights low temp was 102 degrees. I'm using one quart PineSol each time right now.
So much to experience, so little time.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
we always do 2-3 gallons.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
path1 wrote:
After dumping, I fill up the toilet and flush 3 times. Don't know the amount of water in gallons or pints but I know I've never had any problems with black water tank. Sometimes if I think about it I'll toss some laundry soap or dish soap if going to travel far before I dump again.

X2...except I only do 2 toilet bowls
50 gallon black tank.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
The rule of thumb I have always heard is 1 gallon to fill piping and then roughly 10% of tank capacity. So in your case 3 gallons. No idea where the source of that rule of thumb came from but it seems to make sense with respect to keeping the tank bottom wet.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I would also say 2-3 gallons. Why risk it becoming a potty cracker like substance, some of the water will evaporate, so better to have a little extra.

I use very little chemicals in the winter, more when it gets warmer out. The smell is only bad once it is above about 70F outside.

Another tip that I got from my RV salesman was not to add chemicals first. That is because there is a bend in the piping, and then the valve - all below the height of the tank. So if you where to add say 1 cup of chemicals first, then add a gallon of water, the chemical will end up next to the valve, and none would stay in the tank.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com