cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much weight can an awning take?

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a sun shade for our Dometic power awning today but we think it seems kinda heavy. Can the awning take the weight of these things safely without causing damage to the awning?

This is the one we bought Boss Shadow It slides into the awning track.
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost
12 REPLIES 12

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a power awning that goes straight out. It is worthless once the sun passes over head.

It had an empty track that I wanted to mount a shade in but I do not want to take it down every time I break camp.

However, I do not know if the motor will roll I up the bulk.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
While camped I will roll mine with the awning when needed. When towing I slide it out of the track and stow away.

X2
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:

Some awnings use two tracks (slots) for the awning fabric itself. The third track is for accessories. Also, they make an adapter that you can slide in one slot that allows the attachment of two accessories (lights, sun shade, porch swing etc.) in a single slot.

Got it thanks. We have at least one track for accessories as ours came with tie down straps to attach in that track. I'll keep the adapter in mind in case we need to add something else.
2015 Jayco X213

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
While camped I will roll mine with the awning when needed. When towing I slide it out of the track and stow away.

I was just thinking of this idea this morning! I think we'll try it. Thanks.
2015 Jayco X213

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
SilverEscape wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
If your roller has 3 slots you can thread it into empty slot and roll up with awning..

They are light weight and do not cause roller to sag.

By slots, do you mean tracks? Why do you need 3? I know we've got at least one empty track. We weren't expecting to be able to roll it with the awning but would be a bonus if we could. We did specifically look for one that attached via the track rather than clips or some other method.

Some awnings use two tracks (slots) for the awning fabric itself. The third track is for accessories. Also, they make an adapter that you can slide in one slot that allows the attachment of two accessories (lights, sun shade, porch swing etc.) in a single slot.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
If your roller has 3 slots you can thread it into empty slot and roll up with awning..

By slots, do you mean tracks? Why do you need 3? I know we've got at least one empty track. We weren't expecting to be able to roll it with the awning but would be a bonus if we could. We did specifically look for one that attached via the track rather than clips or some other method.
2015 Jayco X213

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know exact answer on weight but ours hasn't done any damage. It's about 5 pound total. Look up the shipping weight, it will give you a clue. We do take it off when the wind start going. Flag across the way unfurls all the way once or twice, we take it down. Hardest part of ours is folding it up to put back in vinyl case without getting in on the ground. I don't keep it tied down tight, I allow for some wind and leave some slack so if any breeze won't put big strain on awning or sun shade. I use those bungee cords with a big bead thing at the end and fits into the handle of a 3 gallon water bottle. So the bungee's also give it some tension relieve and not slamming the weight on awning. And more than once campground management has stopped and asked if I'm pounding anything into the ground to hold it in place. Another reason to use water bottles to hold in place. We always take it down and close awning at night, no matter how the weather supposed to be.

Of all the things to clean it with, what seems to work the best for us is draping it over clothes line and hose off with thumb over end of the hose. Mostly all dust that gets caught in it anyways. "Dry lube" once or twice a year on zipper.

We also got a sun shade for a side (one end or the other). I'm still working on the best way to hook it. Don't like how mine hooks and still working on this project. And the end hooks is really up high. I've messed around with a broom stick with a hook type thing screwed in to the end of broom stick so I can hook loop of sunshade in place. But not a pleasant task. Still looking for something better.

By the way we really like ours. We would like it even more if we didn't have to use it at all and could move to the other side of the street and sun wouldn't bother us at all. But that's going to happen any time soon at our snowbird park.

I stand on a upside down 5 gallon plastic bucket to start the zipper.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

path1
Explorer
Explorer
(dup is below)
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I am curious how difficult it is to install. Unless it can be rolled up with the power awning, I would need a ladder to thread it very time.

Our awning can be lowered in the front so it's not hard to reach.
2015 Jayco X213

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am curious how difficult it is to install. Unless it can be rolled up with the power awning, I would need a ladder to thread it very time.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.