cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to correctly measure the awning

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
Help, I need to replace the mechanical part of the awning or the big cylinder part as the awning cloth is still in good shape. The mechanical part is not working well should I try to fix it or just replace it? Its a ***** to get it to click and roll down and have to had help it up when done. If I do replace it how do I measure it by the space between the side arms or the actual cylinder? Either way its a job.
8 REPLIES 8

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
Articfox, thanks but my trailer was bought used and it a 1996 so no warranty. Don't know if I should try to fix it being so old or just buy a new awning tube?

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how old your awning is there is a warranty. We had a spring brake and it was covered (Carefree). Also keep the lever lubricated for easier flipping.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a youtube with a tube repair. On the right margin you'll see other repairs to check out.

Youtube video.

BE CAREFUL! The tension on the spring can cause serious injury.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Al__B
Explorer
Explorer
Awnings are measured by the length of the tube. Work to any part of the awning is pretty simple, just need to follow some online instructions when winding the springs, help is nice too.
Cummins Powered

therink
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like it may be broken spring if it doesn't retract without help. Replacement torsion springs are available and not too difficult to change w 2 people.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

If you online into the camping world site or carefree site and search awning fabric ou will see detailed instructions on exactly where and what to measure...Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
Bheffington, its up very high and that was my question do I measure from the arms or the actual cylinder?

Bheffington
Explorer
Explorer
Why wouldn't you just measure the part you are replacing?