cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm worried about pickup box height of my new TV

The_Head1
Explorer
Explorer
I got a new towing vehicle recently, it's a 2014 Ram 2500 regular cab long box. Without thinking I got a leveling kit installed, it raises the front 2.5" and the back 1". I'm a little worried I won't be able to tow my 5th wheel now (1994 Nomad in sig). I did some measuring today, the top of my pickup box is 60" and the bottom of my camper is 64" with the legs extended.

The 5th wheel hitch I going to have installed is a Curt Q16. I don't know if it raises or not. I don't have much more information to provide at this point. Do you think I will be alright? Is there anything I can do?

It's not critical at this point as I live in the camper full time, but I will need to move it sooner or later.
-John-

2014 Ram 2500 RCLB, CTD, G56/3.42LS
1994 Skyline Nomad 2515 limited
2008 Honda EG3500X
51 REPLIES 51

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
lancekeys wrote:
I don't understand why they make the beds so tall. It makes working out of the truck very difficult. 60" to the top of the box, what are they thinking? If I ever get a newer truck, I am going to put a flat bed on it!

I did that very thing to my pickup. Put the flat bed on it three years ago and love it. We work out of the bed frequently and the flat bed is awesome. Site lines for backing up are much better to. I have removable sides if needed.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
To the OP, have you gotten an answer on flipping you axles? I assume that as you were going to look in to it, that currently your axles are above the axles. The flip should be good for about 6" at the axle. I am thinking this may have already been done to your 5er if level it is 64" to the bottom of the nose.

That 26' 5er at about 6,000# is not going to drop the back of you TV that much, so other than the extra inch, it may not be a big issue.

The question no one has asked is have you hooked it up yet to see how it sets??

To the axle flip, the picture below is when I did our old 86 King of the Road gained about 6" of height in the 5er.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mudfuel07 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mudfuel07 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
What is a leveling kit, and why on earth would you need to use a kit on a new TV? :h :h

A leveling kit levels the front of the truck with the rear. Almost all trucks come from the factory with a rake, some people don't like it and put a leveling kit on. It will usually allow for the fitment of at least one tire size larger, it's usually for looks only as it doesn't really help with suspension travel. I for one hate the look of a nose down truck, so I would put one on a brand new truck to make it level. However, one issue is that you will need to adjust your headlights, otherwise you'll be blinding oncoming traffic. To each their own.

And when you put a load on the truck it will ride nose high.

Correct, add airbags and you're set.

BandAid!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

The_Head1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your comment. I'm sure beagles aren't exactly cheap either. Some things this not so old mind just can't understand either.
-John-

2014 Ram 2500 RCLB, CTD, G56/3.42LS
1994 Skyline Nomad 2515 limited
2008 Honda EG3500X

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
mudfuel07 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mudfuel07 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
What is a leveling kit, and why on earth would you need to use a kit on a new TV? :h :h

A leveling kit levels the front of the truck with the rear. Almost all trucks come from the factory with a rake, some people don't like it and put a leveling kit on. It will usually allow for the fitment of at least one tire size larger, it's usually for looks only as it doesn't really help with suspension travel. I for one hate the look of a nose down truck, so I would put one on a brand new truck to make it level. However, one issue is that you will need to adjust your headlights, otherwise you'll be blinding oncoming traffic. To each their own.

Yea, got to love the logic behind that, spend $$$ to level and lift when towing a 5er, then need to spend more $$$ to level the TV with a load and lift the 5er to make it level.
Some things this old mind just can't understand.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mudfuel07 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:

2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
I guess I like our truck because it doesn't change enough to notice after the alpenlite is hooked up. Other brands are usually down in the rear when they arrive towing a good size fifth. I then wonder why not add air bags instead of the nose pointing to Mars. Nothing is perfect.

chevman

Those are the trucks that are not enough for the load.

Lots of them are 1 ton dually's.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
I guess I like our truck because it doesn't change enough to notice after the alpenlite is hooked up. Other brands are usually down in the rear when they arrive towing a good size fifth. I then wonder why not add air bags instead of the nose pointing to Mars. Nothing is perfect.

chevman

Those are the trucks that are not enough for the load.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mudfuel07 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2012Coleman wrote:

It is not a leveling kit. Trucks sit high in the rear so when weight is applied the truck will be at a level position or higher in the rear with a load.

Rear air ride is intended to have the truck sit in a level position when loaded or empty. This is an option RAM will be offering or is depending on what you read.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
From what I have read it will allow the truck to ride basically level loaded or not. Who knows until they have them on the market but if they seem to be working well I will have one.