Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed a Micro-Air Soft Start today

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
So there's a backstory first ---

When I bought my 1160, I got it 6mos old used. Original owner bought it stripped - no AC, no gen, not even any TVs. I got a helluva deal on it, and first thing I did was put in not the normal 11k btu roof air, but a 13.5. First problem - PITA to try and get one Honda 2000 to run it... got a second 2000. Well... two 2000's - that's it's own PITA.

Put in a MicroAir Soft Start in my roof air today - worked as advertised. One single 2000 fired it right off, from eco mode, it rev'd up, but not even to full throttle, no problem. Got it from Hutch Mountain.com, people that specialize in propane conversions for Honda gens. Great people, ask for Clayton, tell him my name (Jim, not Boatycall), he might give ya a break.

Mods/admin -- Disclaimer - I get nothing nor am I affiliated with hutch Mountain. Just passing on a good product from good people.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
35 REPLIES 35

17oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Been there done that:

Lots of "soft start", most work...for a while, then you go into a 'chase mode' to find that does, maybe you do maybe not, but either way, you chase it like that cute blonde in your math class in high school.

Then due to a major backup on I 35, my GPS gave me another way home. I take the exit and go I drive short ways and to my right is a manufacturing company. Coleman Industries AC Division IIRC. Not open to the public, so I sit in the parking lot and find a number for them. I end up talking to an in-house engineer about my problem.

Why do you need a soft start? Your unit is wearing (most likely the compressor) and as it wears it gets harder and harder to start till it won't anymore. Simple as that!

Ok, now I have the answer as to why it will start on plug-in electric but no longer the Onan.

But I am a retired engineer and this ate at me. My Ac unit worked great, but only if plugged in.

Then one hot summer night about 3 am I said Ah-Ha and I headed out to the barn and did this:

1) Unplugged and flipped the switch on my AF 1150 to the battery. Turned on my AC unit and it fired right up, blew cold like it always did.

2) Fired up my Onan and flipped the switch over to Gen power...AC still blowing cold air.

3) Did a few things from our trip that past weekend and flipped it over on external power.

Not sure how long that will last, but so far it's been over 2 years.
Don
Texas
US Army (RET)
'15 F350 4x4, CC, LWB, DRW, King Ranch
2008 Arctic Fox 1150 TC
Vietnam Combat Veteran

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Did a review on this unit on my web page. Amazing device. Can’t belive they are not installed on ac units from the factory.

If you order direct and tell them you are a member of some RV forum they will offer a discount. I got 20% off for saying I belong to a Forest River Accociation.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
I have been considering the soft start.maybe this just convinced me.
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
They work great. I installed one on our camper so that our 2800 watt inverter wouldn't have to go to surge overcoming the inrush amperage. Inrush amperage is reason why small generators don't work on air conditioners. A 13k unit, or a 15k unit is well within the output of a 2000 watt Honda once you get past the Locked Rotor Amperage needed to start the unit.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Coleman 13.5. Wiring schematic was inside the unit's access panel. It was literally splice one wire, move 2, add one, done. I'm not kidding when I'm saying it took longer to get to the wires than the actual wiring.
Then you fire up the roof air 5 times, with 5 minute wait times in between to avoid locked rotor---this is so the MicroAir can learn and adjust/optimize to the start surge.

I have a Magnum Technologies Inverter/charger, with a very detailed digital display panel. At no point during start up did the incoming AC amperage exceed 12 amps. It said the incoming AC current ramp'd up to 5 amps for about 3 seconds(which it never did before--presumably storing it for the start surge), then 12 amps for less than a second to start, back down to 7 running with the fan on low.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
What brand A/C unit do you have and what was the install like ?