cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

installing those LED strip lights under the awning

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
on our 21 TT. anyone install these and if so where did u pick up the 12 volt power to make them work and look good?
thanks
36 REPLIES 36

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
I may be an idiot or may be doing something wrong. Probably both. But when I installed my strip this weekend on my trailer I could only get the first half of the strip to light. Through all the testing before putting it up and cutting into the power cord it worked fine. I'm assuming somewhere in my splicing I have a poor connection and the juice just isn't quite making it all the way?

Gonna edit this. Turns out I was an idiot. I'm guessing in daylight you just don't see all the lights on and they wash out in the daylight. I brought the trailer home and after doing absolutely nothing to what I had already set up, turned them on and they worked great. Was dark so maybe that's all I needed.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thom02099 wrote:
toaobigal wrote:
Just to clear any confusion: the socket adaptor I used is a socket with 2 wires sticking out of it, there is no longer a bulb. I just used the end of the connector from the 120-12 volt converter, slice it on the socket adaptor. And, by putting the remote module inside the porch light, you do loose some range with the remote control. I experienced with the different colors, but I sticked with the blue for now.

This is what I want to do as well. I understand the concept and execution. My question: I have a 1028 bulb in my porch light. I've searched here and Google and can't find any sort of socket wire connector base adaptor, such as the Genssi 1156 that was noted elsewhere in this thread. Is there such a thing? Or would I be better off just going the splicing route for the same end result?

Anyone? I understand about the 1156/1141 adaptor. Is there something for a bulb that's marked 1028, or can I use this 1156/1141 adaptor? Or would I be better off just splicing in to the porch light wiring?
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

PacNWChris
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
PacNWChris wrote:
My trailer has an LED strip light already installed. It's one of those "cool white" LED strips. It's great if you need a lot of bright light to find something or direct air traffic ... but not so much for lounging outside, or eating, or playing a board or card game.

That was my experience on my last trip. Several people had them on full power, and it looked like the landing area in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. And unfortunately, two people left them on all night long. The CG looked like Broadway in the city that never sleeps.

It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where they couldn't sleep because of the Kenny Rogers Chicken bright neon sign across the street.

I was at Lake Powell for a week earlier this month, and this guy, maybe 5 sites down in my loop (and the sites there are pretty far apart) has some kind of flood light clamped to the roof of his trailer to light up his site. Unfortunately, it not only lit up his site, but because it had the illumination power of a small star, he graciously shared his light with a good portion of Loop B. ๐Ÿ˜  At least he didn't leave it on all night long.

On a previous trailer we had one that we could adjust the color and intensity on. A nice faint red/orange color is really easy on the eyes at night. Then when you turn it off, your eyes don't take long to adjust for stargazing. ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 F350 Platinum 6.7L Power Stroke
2015 Salem Hemisphere Lite 282RK
ProPride 3P Hitch

coffebreak
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
PacNWChris wrote:
My trailer has an LED strip light already installed. It's one of those "cool white" LED strips. It's great if you need a lot of bright light to find something or direct air traffic ... but not so much for lounging outside, or eating, or playing a board or card game.

That was my experience on my last trip. Several people had them on full power, and it looked like the landing area in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. And unfortunately, two people left them on all night long. The CG looked like Broadway in the city that never sleeps.

It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where they couldn't sleep because of the Kenny Rogers Chicken bright neon sign across the street.

could never understand this.... don't people have shades or blinds in their trailer or rv's??? why should outside lights bother ANYONE if your eyes are closed and shades closed????
maybe just something to B about,,,,,,,

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
PacNWChris wrote:

2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

PacNWChris
Explorer
Explorer

I was thinking of replacing it with one of the kinds you can dim and select the color on. But I need to cut and test the voltage of the wires feeding the current LED strip. I'm sure it's 12 volts and that the DIY kits are 12 volts too, but I want to check first. ๐Ÿ™‚ Anyone have any experience with that?
2014 F350 Platinum 6.7L Power Stroke
2015 Salem Hemisphere Lite 282RK
ProPride 3P Hitch

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
toaobigal wrote:
Just to clear any confusion: the socket adaptor I used is a socket with 2 wires sticking out of it, there is no longer a bulb. I just used the end of the connector from the 120-12 volt converter, slice it on the socket adaptor. And, by putting the remote module inside the porch light, you do loose some range with the remote control. I experienced with the different colors, but I sticked with the blue for now.

This is what I want to do as well. I understand the concept and execution. My question: I have a 1028 bulb in my porch light. I've searched here and Google and can't find any sort of socket wire connector base adaptor, such as the Genssi 1156 that was noted elsewhere in this thread. Is there such a thing? Or would I be better off just going the splicing route for the same end result?
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

bdlaise
Explorer
Explorer
I went a different route I got an 18ft led rope light, that I can plug into the electrical outlet on the side of the trailer. I recently got a outdoor timer (like the one used for Christmas lights) that has a remote control so I don't have to go outside to turn the lights on or off. I used double sided automotive tape to secure the rope light under the awning, and ran the wire down along the rear awning arm to the timer, to the outlet. It is not extremely bright, but there is enough light to light up under the awning or the side of the trailer without lighting up the entire campground.

toaobigal
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Dutchmen 277RLS

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
APT wrote:
Oh, the other connector (4-pin) is if you wanted to connect multiple strips together from the same controller. You will likely cut that off. I cut about two feet off my strip for example.

Awesome - thanks for all the info. Too bad I can't do this before my trip this Sunday.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Treatcg
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:
toaobigal wrote:
A 1141 bulb is the same socket as a 1156, they're interchangeable.

thanks. so this should fit if anyone looking for one.........

1156/1141

correct me if i am wrong
thanks

Do they make something like this for a 921/922 style bulb?
Clayton
2016 F250 Lariat FX4 6.7
2017 StarCraft Ultra Lite 27BHU

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, the other connector (4-pin) is if you wanted to connect multiple strips together from the same controller. You will likely cut that off. I cut about two feet off my strip for example.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
mine aren't color changing or dimming, so the wire off the strip is a pair of #18 insulated wire. I drilled a 1/8" hole through the trailer wall, and into the compartment above the microwave. That's where the inside switch wiring goes to connect to the outside big round light. disconnected the wires to the outside light, connected to the new led strip lights, sealed the wire coming through the side. done.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

FleaM35A2
Explorer
Explorer
Here is mine:
Lights
1971 AM General M35A2
1969 Holiday Rambler 27 Ft.