cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

installing those LED strip lights under the awning

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
on our 21 TT. anyone install these and if so where did u pick up the 12 volt power to make them work and look good?
thanks
36 REPLIES 36

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Last week in Delaware, two of my neighbors had these LED lights under their awning, and left them on all night long. Fortunately, their TTs were facing away from me. Otherwise I would have felt like I was in the midway of a local County Fair. They were obnoxiously bright.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

APT
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

So you are saying to cut the wire where indicated here?

Yes, somewhere between the "brick" (120V AC to 12V DC adapter) and the white controller. Long enough for some slack, but the more wire the more that has to be cleanly stored/hidden. There are sets available from Amazon without the AC-DC adapter - controller and strip only, but you need that round conenctor and $8 is just as reasonable as Radio Shack. Use a meter before you cut that wire in order to determine which is 12V and which is ground.

Will the remote sensor also work if you put it inside the porch light fixture? also, what is the plug that is coming from the center of the spool for?

I drilled a hole in the top of my porch light housing to run the 4-lead wire and antenna out. Once all hooked up and functioning, I sealed the hole up. So yes, the remote works on mine. The antenna wire is tied up in your picture.

...the porch light would be on whenever the LEDs were on - which would not be so good.

Right. I can't imagine you'd still need the porch light, except as a backup in case something were to happen with the LED strip.

You seem to have a good understanding. If you have ever worked with automotive stereos or lighting, I doubt you'll have a problem with this project. My TT is currently @ storage, or I'd snap a few pictures.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
APT wrote:
I also have a porch light near one end of my awning. So I spliced that wire and hide the controller in there. This kit would work well. You don't need the AC adapter, but you do need the female plug from it. I just cut that end off and connected to my 12V porch light.

So you are saying to cut the wire where indicated here?

Will the remote sensor also work if you put it inside the porch light fixture? also, what is the plug that is coming from the center of the spool for?

The remote has on/off buttons so it seems this would work for me as I could turn the LEDs off while having the porch light on, but this would also mean the porch light would be on whenever the LEDs were on - which would not be so good.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You wont' need the porch light if you get an RGB 300+ LED strip. You can have white, orange, blur, purple, yellow, pink, etc, all plenty bright or not so much. If you do want the porch light also, then you'll want a separate switch for them instead and using the existing wiring doesn't make as much sense.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you pulled the complete light socket off to get to the wires it ould only take 2 wire nuts to splice it into the light and that way you do not loose the use of the porch light.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

shar3890
Explorer
Explorer
Our refigerator is on the awning side of our trailer. We put all the wires, and the controller inside the compartment and just plugged into the outlet. We let the electric eye exposed through one of the vents. Crazy simple !! No drilling or re-wiring.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelyn wrote:
toaobigal wrote:
A 1141 bulb is the same socket as a 1156, they're interchangeable.

thanks. so this should fit if anyone looking for one.........

1156/1141

correct me if i am wrong
thanks
Thanks - was hoping this gizmo let you keep the porch light bulb. Maybe splicing is the way to go if you still want the porch light.

Please don't rant about porch lights. We only leave it on if necessary - we plan on returning after dark and the area is not sufficiently lit.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
toaobigal wrote:

thanks. so this should fit if anyone looking for one.........

1156/1141

correct me if i am wrong
thanks

myrvhasnotv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

toaobigal
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Dutchmen 277RLS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
As far as brightness goes, I have seen several of the OEM white strips. They are just on/off. Mine has 3 color RGB, which let me pick several shades of the rainbow, and dimming controlled via remote.

For the white only OEM setups, you can get a potentiometer or PWM dimmer for under $10,, like this one.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

myrvhasnotv
Explorer
Explorer
I have the led under the awning and I have to say it's too bright. Maybe when it ages and yellows a little it will be nicer. I think just under the skirting might be a better place. It would look like a street rod but the indirect light would be nice and the bugs would be away from the door. We used our old rope lights last trip per the wife's request.

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
toaobigal wrote:
The light bulb in the porch light is a 1156, I ordered some 1156 socket adaptors from ebay. It's basically a socket with 2 wires sticking out of it. My LED module is small enough to fit inside the porch light, all you have to do is grind a little groove on the lens so the wire can come out. I can't get the link with my Ipad, but on youtube, the video for LED strip for rv is from FPV DEE.

my porch bulb is a 1141 and i have checked ebay as well as amozon but only found this one which is a different size............

adaptor

anyone have a site for this adapter but for a 1141 bulb? seems like the best way to go with the install

toaobigal
Explorer
Explorer
The light bulb in the porch light is a 1156, I ordered some 1156 socket adaptors from ebay. It's basically a socket with 2 wires sticking out of it. My LED module is small enough to fit inside the porch light, all you have to do is grind a little groove on the lens so the wire can come out. I can't get the link with my Ipad, but on youtube, the video for LED strip for rv is from FPV DEE.
2011 Dutchmen 277RLS

pyro383
Explorer
Explorer
here is how I did mine
http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27723120/gotomsg/27744842.cfm#27744842
2005 F-150 King Ranch
2010 Keystone Outback 312BH