cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

installing those LED strip lights under the awning

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
on our 21 TT. anyone install these and if so where did u pick up the 12 volt power to make them work and look good?
thanks
36 REPLIES 36

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
toaobigal wrote:
I have a porch light near the door, I used a socket adaptor and I power the led strip from there. It has a switch inside the trailer. I found the procedure on Youtube.
A socket adaptor sounds easier than splicing wires. Can you link to the one you used or tell me where you got it? How about a link to the Youtube procedure?

Agree that this would be better than hanging lights which have to be taken down often in a hurry when a storm is blowing in.

sounds like a good idea, maybe that utube link and maybe the socket adapter.
thanks

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
toaobigal wrote:
I have a porch light near the door, I used a socket adaptor and I power the led strip from there. It has a switch inside the trailer. I found the procedure on Youtube.
A socket adaptor sounds easier than splicing wires. Can you link to the one you used or tell me where you got it? How about a link to the Youtube procedure?

Agree that this would be better than hanging lights which have to be taken down often in a hurry when a storm is blowing in.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The module is small enough to fit into the porch light housing. I just installed an LED light strip on my trailer. So much better than putting up and taking down awning lights!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a porch light near one end of my awning. So I spliced that wire and hide the controller in there. This kit would work well. You don't need the AC adapter, but you do need the female plug from it. I just cut that end off and connected to my 12V porch light.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

toaobigal
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Dutchmen 277RLS

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
So much stuff to get out and put away before leaving. . .

Sure it is easy to get the power. I installed a couple of cigarette lighter receptacles in handy places in the basement storage. You can buy a 2 cigarette lighter receptacle at Radio Shack (hurry before they close to many branch offices) for about $12. Then wire those to #12 wire coming from the battery or another 12 volt source with a 20 amp fuse someplace.

Then you can run a 12 volt plug from the LED's to the cigarette lighter receptacle. You could use small wire for this, as the LED load should not be more than 1-2 amps.

Good luck!
that sounds like a good idea and the way to go but our TT doesn't have any basement storage or any compartments in it. but hopefully will give a good idea to someone else.
thanks for the suggestion.
Have a safe trip

Fred.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
So much stuff to get out and put away before leaving. . .

Sure it is easy to get the power. I installed a couple of cigarette lighter receptacles in handy places in the basement storage. You can buy a 2 cigarette lighter receptacle at Radio Shack (hurry before they close to many branch offices) for about $12. Then wire those to #12 wire coming from the battery or another 12 volt source with a 20 amp fuse someplace.

Then you can run a 12 volt plug from the LED's to the cigarette lighter receptacle. You could use small wire for this, as the LED load should not be more than 1-2 amps.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com