cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is extended dealership warranty worth it?

Phanes
Explorer
Explorer
Usually I skip extended warranties on everything I buy. I have never had a need to use one and I feel if a manufacturer is willing to give a 5 year warranty it is because they feel most of their time their product will outlive the warranty.

My dealer is offering a 5 year bumper to bumper for $2500. If the TT is within 100miles of the dealer they will send someone out to fix it. If it can't be fixed they will tow it and fix it at the dealership.

It sounds like a good deal and having read so many posts of people having issues it seems like a good idea.

Do you guys have an opinion on them?

We are buying a Forest River Sierra 402qb
25 REPLIES 25

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
There ain't nuttin wrong with a profit motive , that dealer has yacht payments just like the rest of us !
No on extended warranty , thank ya berry much !

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We are frequently more than 100 miles from our dealership. How about you?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The are another "profit center" for a dealer.
Skip the extended warranty.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy is correct. The 'extended warranty' is just another accessory the dealer is trying to sell you to INCREASE THEIR PROFIT.

IF, the dealer will give you a blank copy of the contract, take it home and read every line.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Phanes wrote:
My dealer is offering a 5 year bumper to bumper for $2500. If the TT is within 100miles of the dealer they will send someone out to fix it. If it can't be fixed they will tow it and fix it at the dealership.

There's no such thing as a dealership extended warranty ... rather, they're third party warranties sold by the dealership just as they would sell any other product or service. Obviously there has to be margin in the sale to make it worthwhile for the dealer to even bother with and guess who pays for that margin? ... YOU. The dealer will only "fix" whatever the third party warranty company will authorize - no authorization = no repair. I've never seen one without many exclusions so if you go ahead with this read the fine print very carefully.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My OPINION: don't go there. Those things are big money makers....figuring maybe 1 out of 1000 might need it. Also, the fine print. Covers spark plug # 1 but not spark plug # 6....and guess which one will go bad? That kinda thing.

I was offered a big $$ plan when I purchased my motorhome. I declined, as I usually do for ANY extended anything. So far...the only big item that failed was my fridge. Replaced it...$1400. After 15 years. STILL cheaper than your $2500.

My advice...put the $2500 in the gas tank and enjoy your travels.

Y-Guy
A couple things to keep in mind, as mentioned read the fine print. Second, you can negotiate on the extended warranties. They are mostly a huge profit center for the dealer. So if you decide to buy one, negotiate before you get to the finance center.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually I skip extended warranties on everything I buy. I have never had a need to use one

You already understand things , i think you already answered your own question . ๐Ÿ™‚

There are often too many open doors that lead into dark rooms.
You enter a ' legal contract' with specific language usually from an outside vendor (and NOT the Mfg. of the RV) that has to remain in business in order for you to use the contract with many gray areas.

As already said, the real bugs should be exterminated during the OEM warranty. Most RV's hold up for 5 yrs. unless you buy a lemon. Then you would get rid of it before the 5 years and the $2500 is then gone.

If YOU invest the $2500.00, i'll bet you'll have more than 2500.00 in the investment after 5 yrs. Use that new money to make any needed repairs. Keep doing this over the years, you'll be self insured.

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
Phanes wrote:
Usually I skip extended warranties on everything I buy. I have never had a need to use one and I feel if a manufacturer is willing to give a 5 year warranty it is because they feel most of their time their product will outlive the warranty.

It sounds like a good deal and having read so many posts of people having issues it seems like a good idea.

Do you guys have an opinion on them?

We are buying a Forest River Sierra 402qb

The issue with these extended warranties is that they almost never cover the big killer of trailers, IOW water damage!
The first year will probably work out any manufacturing issues. If you are handy, you will most likely be able to deal with the rest.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to read the fine print before agreeing to that.
MO is that the 2500 would be better spent, your OEM warranty is good for a year and that time period should iron out any difficulties.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
2500 will fix a lot of stuff.
I've never had one either.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy