cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a Diesel or Gas break point?

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm strongly considering upgrading to a 250/2500 or larger truck and I was wondering if there is break point where diesels just make more sense than gas. I know that as a rule diesels are better at pulling heavy loads than gas engines, but they also come with added maintenance costs. So I was wondering if there was a trailer weight where it just makes more sense to buy a diesel. If so, what is it?

We currently don't own a TT, but we've been looking. We first started looking for something my existing truck could pull but we discovered that its not a very robust tower, so we are in the market for a new truck. Since this would be our first TT we don't want to go too big, nothing longer than 29' and no heavier than 8500 lbs GVWR. Some have told us to buy the truck, then fit the trailer to the truck and others have said buy the Trailer and buy the truck to fit it. Its basically the old chicken and egg debate. So we're trying to both at the same time.

Lastly, I've noticed locally that diesel fuel is generally more expensive than regular gasoline, but I don't know if that's true around the country. Is it?
65 REPLIES 65

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So beerbrewer, this is what , like your 5th thread on what truck should I buy.....
It’s all fun talking/bantering and reccomending.
So back to the reccomending..... since I/we all know more about your uses, needs, wants, limitations etc than maybe we should, it becomes very clear what is the perfect tow rig/daily driver truck for you. And it’s not too far from what you already have.
Pic your favorite flavor of 1/2 ton, big engine, deepest gears offered and tow package.
You will have to do zero to make it tow the trailer you’re considering, like a champ.
If you want it to ride rough and tough like a 3/4 ton, put some E load tires on it and a helper spring or bags. Put too much air in the tires just like the NHSTA is trying to require on 3/4 tons and let er eat!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:
Most of the people that don't like diesels have never owned one.
I feel the joy every time I start the 7.3.
The more miles you drive, the more you pull, the more you need a truck the more you need a diesel.
My 2002 Ford is easily worth twice what a similar gas truck is worth, and going up in value.

^This! I agree with. Well said.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the people that don't like diesels have never owned one.
I feel the joy every time I start the 7.3.
The more miles you drive, the more you pull, the more you need a truck the more you need a diesel.
My 2002 Ford is easily worth twice what a similar gas truck is worth, and going up in value.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
ib516 wrote:
Other than at 11000 ft (one road in the whole of the North American Continent), I have never seen, or heard of the 6.4L Hemi acting the way it does on the Ike Gauntlet test at high altitude.

I have towed 12k (GCW was scaled at 21k) with mine all over the Canadian Rockies on all the grades there (6 to 7%, some near Radium at 11%) and never been down to 20 or 30 mph. There was only one time that I experienced personally that I couldn't accelerate when I wanted to. Times have changed. The newest crop of modern gassers have plenty of power.

In fact, my 2014 Ram 2500 gasser had:
- More payload
- Higher GAWRs *front and rear
- Higher max tow rating (by over 2000#)
- Higher GCWR by 2000#
Than my 2007 3500 SRW Cummins had. The only thing that was lower was my GVWR. The 3500 SRW was 10,100#, the 2500 was 10,000# even. The 2007 Cummins downshifted less, but I dare say a stop watch would see them nearly the same towing the same 12k 5er that I did with both. Real world facts.

The gasser got 7-9 mpg, usually 8ish, the 5.9L Cummins got about 9-11 mpg, usually 10ish hauling the same 37' 5er. Real world.

You do realize that in 2013 Ram finally woke up and put some real numbers to their trucks? Heck my DD is the proud owner of a very nice 2004 Ram CTD 3500 DRW GVWR 12,200#. If I were to buy a 2013+ Ram 3500 CTD SRW with a GVWR of 12,300#I am actually looking at a lightly used 2013+ Ram CTD DRW with a GVWR of 14,000#

Then there is my 2001 Ram 2500 CTD with 3.55's and a 5 speed manual, it has a small timing chip and RV275 injectors, can pull 55 mph up a 6% to 7% grade coming out of a 45 mph corner, in 4th gear (direct drive)pulling our 12,500# 5er, 20,500# GCVW.

I hate to get rid of this truck, except I am currently well over the 8,800# GVWR.

Oh absolutely. And like I have said before, if you are towing really heavy or very often, a diesel is the way to go.

I too had a 24v (2002). I had an Edge EZ and RV275 injectors. Great combo for that generation truck.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
when we bought our 2004.5 duramax, there was IMHO a very noticeable difference between gas and diesel towing performance.

Fast forward to when we got the 2015.5 duramax. Gas engines have advanced to the point where towing capability is pretty much equal.

Yes, we still went with diesel, but in reality differences in tow ratings on the gas vs. diesel is pretty minimal, gasser will give higher payload, worse mileage, and need to run much higher RPM on grades. Diesel will cost more, get better mileage, and run lower RPM on grades.

Both will do good job towing in todays trucks. IMHO Pick what you like.

The differences in tow ratings minimal? Not sure what you are referring to, but gasers tend to top out about 15,000# Diesel about 25K to 30K. Payload doesn't mean squat if you can't move it easily at a reasonable speed.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:
Other than at 11000 ft (one road in the whole of the North American Continent), I have never seen, or heard of the 6.4L Hemi acting the way it does on the Ike Gauntlet test at high altitude.

I have towed 12k (GCW was scaled at 21k) with mine all over the Canadian Rockies on all the grades there (6 to 7%, some near Radium at 11%) and never been down to 20 or 30 mph. There was only one time that I experienced personally that I couldn't accelerate when I wanted to. Times have changed. The newest crop of modern gassers have plenty of power.

- More payload
- Higher GCWR by 2000#
Than my 2007 3500 SRW Cummins had. The only thing that was lower was my GVWR. The 3500 SRW was 10,100#, the 2500 was 10,000# even. The 2007 Cummins downshifted less, but I dare say a stop watch would see them nearly the same towing the same 12k 5er that I did with both. Real world facts.

The gasser got 7-9 mpg, usually 8ish, the 5.9L Cummins got about 9-11 mpg, usually 10ish hauling the same 37' 5er. Real world.

You do realize that in 2013 Ram finally woke up and put some real numbers to their trucks? Heck my DD is the proud owner of a very nice 2004 Ram CTD 3500 DRW GVWR 12,200#. If I were to buy a 2013+ Ram 3500 CTD SRW with a GVWR of 12,300#I am actually looking at a lightly used 2013+ Ram CTD DRW with a GVWR of 14,000#

Then there is my 2001 Ram 2500 CTD with 3.55's and a 5 speed manual, it has a small timing chip and RV275 injectors, can pull 55 mph up a 6% to 7% grade coming out of a 45 mph corner, in 4th gear (direct drive)pulling our 12,500# 5er, 20,500# GCVW.

I hate to get rid of this truck, except I am currently well over the 8,800# GVWR.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's all about heavy towing (99.99% chance you will never get the up front cost back from better MPG).

Around 14-15klbs, modern gas engine trucks reach their rating limits...after that you need a diesel if you want to be in the trucks ratings. You can look up the different manufacturers to get the specific numbers.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
when we bought our 2004.5 duramax, there was IMHO a very noticeable difference between gas and diesel towing performance.

Fast forward to when we got the 2015.5 duramax. Gas engines have advanced to the point where towing capability is pretty much equal.

Yes, we still went with diesel, but in reality differences in tow ratings on the gas vs. diesel is pretty minimal, gasser will give higher payload, worse mileage, and need to run much higher RPM on grades. Diesel will cost more, get better mileage, and run lower RPM on grades.

Both will do good job towing in todays trucks. IMHO Pick what you like.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II

- More payload
- Higher GCWR by 2000#

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

blt2ski
What grades are you talking about going 20-30 mph? typical frewway at 3-6% max? or 20-30% on side roads? My 454 gas rigs could do all of 15% at 20K lbs before they literally stalled out, could not go forward....My 96 K3500 with a 5 sp manual, 6.5 TD stalled at around 30%. My 05 dmax, believe it or not, with twice the torque, but way the frig taller gears, stall at 24-26%! my Navstar with a 175/330 motor, least torque, least HP, can pull 30K up a 30% grade. Due to better gears in trns and axels. Performance leaves a lot to be desired depending on many factor, not being talked about.......
Cost? talking ROI etc....could be as little as 2-3 years as noted, could be as high as 5-7 years in my case. ROI is too long. 2-3 years I can handle, 5-7, no effing way!
As noted, there is not a right or wrong as to which is better etc. But at todays cost difference of a diesel, the initial cost etc to too high for me. I do admit, if at elevation a lot, ie above 5000', maybe as little as 3000 feet, a forced induction motor getting rated HP to upwards of 10,000', is rather nice, vs the losing of 2-3% per 1000', NO IT IS NOT the 10% loss per 1000' as noted above a few posts, then at 10,000', you have what no power?!?!?!??? yeah right!
I'm giving this post until AM, then you can take this BS to the stuck diesel vs gas sticky! As there is really no right or wrong answer!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it's a matter of what tool you think you need/want to do the job you want it to do.

Can I get the job done with a Harbor Freight ratchet, or do I need a Craftsman or Snap On? I can probably do the job with the HF ratchet, but when I need to count on it to do what it was designed to do, flawlessly, will it always be there, or will it **** out on Sunday night at 10PM when Im trying to fix my car and all the stores are closed.

You say the mx costs is not an issue but the upfront costs are. Yes, there's an additive investment if you go diesel, but in the long run, it's worth it.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Did everyone get the point the OP made about this being a weight thing and not a monetary issue?

This part?

BeerBrewer wrote:
So the fact that a diesel contains more oil or needs some extra things done doesn't concern me at all. Unfortunately upfront costs due matter to us, but its "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"......

Not sure what the budget breaking point is. I have a tendency to go a little small if things are tight. Otherwise probably a used truck is best option.

Uh no, This part where the OP clarified his question:
BeerBrewer wrote:
What I meant by a break point, is there a point where a gas 3/4 or 1 ton truck struggles to handle a load. I'd hate to buy a new truck and find myself going up a steep grade only able to do 20 or 30 MPH. We absolutely plan upon touring out west, through higher elevations, even hitting Alaska.

You see I'm trying to avoid repeating some issues that I've had towing a trailer in the past. About 15 years ago, due to my job, we moved from Arizona to Long Island, NY. We thought it would be fun and it was a blast, to drive across the country rather than fly. We had most of our stuff moved by a mover, but we moved our vehicles (Mini-Van and Durango) and some of our "precious" stuff ourselves. So we rented the largest U-Haul trailer we could find and pulled it with our Durango, (318 V8) which was equipped to tow. After we loaded it we had the trailer weighed and we were well within the specs, but we did need to shift the load around a tad. My wife drove the Mini-Van and drove the Durango. For the most part the Durango did fine, except for the climb up to Flagstaff and on the "switch-back" on Rte 40 headed east out of Tennessee. When doing the climb up to Flagstaff I had trouble maintaining speed, I think I was only doing like 20 or 30 mph. The engine temp was climbing real high, so high that I had the heat blasting and it was summer. I had the opposite problem When we hit the "switch-back" coming out of Tennessee, I had trouble keeping my speed down and I white knuckled it all the way down. I'd rather not relive either experience if possible. Even though we had a few "issues" we had a blast. Frankly, it was this trip that spawned the idea of us getting an TT and touring the country "some day". Not only did we see some amazing sites, we also met some equally amazing people. Well "some day" has arrived!

I currently do most of the maintenance on my vehicles now and plan on doing so in the future. So the fact that a diesel contains more oil or needs some extra things done doesn't concern me at all. Unfortunately upfront costs due matter to us, but its "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"......

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you pick any one of the new HD gasser trucks with deep gears,it'll pull most any highway in the mountains at or near the speed limit with a, say, 8klb trailer. You WILL be redlined in 2nd gear, maaaybe 3rd to do a 6%+ uphill pull at over a mile high, but you'll get to the top.
Your experience with the ole 318 Durango is not representative of what to expect. New pickup gassers have roughly 2x the power and deeper gears.
All that said, any new HD diesel will absolutely destroy a gasser for towing. And the most powerful 1/2 tons will pull the same or harder than the HD gassers.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW we have a 32’ Winnebago Vista Class A chassis weight of 22,000 and tow a Honda CRV. The V10 Torqshift combo is excellent, way outperforming our old Ex with the V10 4R100 towing a 5000 TT.

Key is the transmission gearing combination for best performance. The V10 had 150,000 miles when we sold it and never did the motor fail us, even traveling 4x from VA to WY.

Ironically the moho did better out west with the mountains than the Ex.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad