cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this a normal issue with antisway bars?

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
I was working on the trailer today and notice that the ball the antisway bar connects to has started to rip off. Is this normal? More importantly, Can I just have it welded back on?

Aaron Kennedy
10 REPLIES 10

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rookiecamper wrote:
Wait!! I'm a little confused. I now have a different set-up, but when I had my anti-sway bar, if it was extended too far I think it would have come apart. Actually, I think it would have ended up bending around the ball before it had the chance to pull too far and slide apart. Maybe I'm thinking wrong so please feel free to correct me (I know several of you won't miss the chance!). Either way, I'm just not sure it would have done that on my previous set-up.

I'm kind of where you are. I can't really visualize bending it buy pulling it out. Like you. Mine would just come apart. UNLESS, the tongue was against the swaybar, and like a fulcrum pulled or levered it forward.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to measure where the new one goes in relation to the little ball on the shank. It's possible that it was incorrectly installed the first time. (to close or far)
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

Rookiecamper
Explorer
Explorer
Wait!! I'm a little confused. I now have a different set-up, but when I had my anti-sway bar, if it was extended too far I think it would have come apart. Actually, I think it would have ended up bending around the ball before it had the chance to pull too far and slide apart. Maybe I'm thinking wrong so please feel free to correct me (I know several of you won't miss the chance!). Either way, I'm just not sure it would have done that on my previous set-up.
Me~Jim,58
DW~Patty, no comment

2017 Expedition
2014 Starcraft Launch 21FBS

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, we always take the bar off backing up. I'm guessing we just turned too sharp at some point.
Aaron Kennedy

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Also, take the sway control bar off when backing into your site.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, don't mess around fixing the old one, just toss it and get a new one. Sometime in the past, you turned too sharp.

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Found one online for about $20.
Aaron Kennedy

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Sway control ball mount trailer end from PPL in Houston.

segen77
Explorer
Explorer
It was mounted on the passenger side of the trailer and was pulled forward, so I guess it means I turned too sharp to the left, and was almost pulled off?

As this something that can be purchased online? If so, what is the part called so I can search for it?

Thanks again
Aaron Kennedy

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Go buy a new one at a local trailer shop. It means you have turned to sharp and nearly pulled or pushed the ball off. The way mine is mounted it would have been a sharp left turn.