cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jack truck up to engage lower Stable Loads?

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I installed my lower SLs on my truck last night. Fairly straight forward install, but a couple of pointers that may help.
In order to install the long bolt that secures the plate to the spring you need a pretty good gap between the springs, For the rear, a floor jack under the hitch worked well.
For the front, place the jack under the mount that attaches the spring pack to the frame.
You may need to pry just a bit with a bar but not much.
I used 3 shims front and rear. The front I was able to rotate the shims between the springs without jacking the truck, but the rear had to be lifted.
I noticed in the instructions it recommends to jack the truck up to engage the SLs.
This seems like more of a hassle then a quick operation, but it definatley supports more weight.
Do those running the SLs do the same or should I remove a wedge or 2 in order to engage them without lifting the truck?
With my Lance 981 which weighs over 4K lbs my truck only squatted 3 3/4" and the new Rams sit pretty high. I'm just a hair low in the rear but don't think I'll need airbags.
I haven't driven it yet but it feels pretty solid. I'm still waiting on my Big Wig sway bar.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
11 REPLIES 11

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
^^^
This.

The nylock nut will do its job.

The only problem is the noise that they make when they're disengaged. They do make some racket especially at slower speeds on rough or uneven roads
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, just snug them up. I cranked mine down pretty tight thinking they needed it, but once I got them mounted I couldn't swing them in and had to loosen the nuts.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

orourkmw
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the guidance, FireGuard. I assembled mine today, and plan to install on Wednesday. My instructions don't say how much torque to apply to the Nylock nut on the 2-1/2" bolt that holds the shim pack together. Did you just snug it up? It seems too tight would interfere with the engagement.

I have a 2012 F350 and had to remove the top wedge plate and use 6 washer shims. I do have airbags and plan to have ~25 psi when I engage, which gives me 1/2" gap front and 3/8" rear. I probably could have left the top in the front, but wanted a contingency in case I have to engage without inflation.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replys.
My fronts are ok, the rear are tight and need to be lifted.
The instructions also say grease may help.
I'll play with it and see how it drives first, may end up removing a shim from the rear if needed.
I was certainly happy with the static load only dropping the rear 3 3/4". This was also measured at the bumper so that was max deflection.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
I tried driving unloaded with the SL's engaged. Absolutely ridiculous, rough and bumpy ride. I do NOT recommend it--unless you like torture.

As far as jacking the truck to engage...thankfully, don't need to do that. But then I only have the rear's installed. If the front's were in, I'd likely need to carry a floor jack with me.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of jacking the rear up, just put the opposite rear wheel up on some leveling boards. It should open up the spring just enough to let you swing the shims in place. Then repeat for the opposite wheel.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Xpd77
Explorer
Explorer
I jack up the rear of my truck every time. I frequently remove the upper stable loads as well if I'm not going to be carrying my camper for a while. They are pretty quick to remove. Upper and lower stable loads is the only modification I did to my 2012 F350 SRW.
2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
In the 9 months that I have had the lowers installed I have never bothered to Swing the wedges out of the way even when riding empty. I have all three in on my F350 dually. The ride is fine unladed and great with my 4500+ pound Lance in the bed. I only use my airbags when towing the horse trailer otherwise the upper and lower stable loads are all I need.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
I had two shims and could engage them without jacking up the rear. However I liked it better towing with all three shims (requires jacking up only the rear to engage). I just leave them engaged during tow season. I actually think my 2011 F250 feels a lot more stable and certainly has less bounce than the stock suspension without the SLs when unloaded.
Garyl53
Just me, wife and 2 small dogs
2011 F250 CCSB 6.7L PSD SRW 4x4 Camper/Plow/FX packages: Andersen Hitch, AirLift 5000 Bags, Bilstein 5100s
2017 Redwood 36RL

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are different from side to side, two on one and three on the other, I thought I read you are not to force them in?

I looked for the instructions and it did not say specifically but I did read in some cases you can use your air bags to widen the gap to give clearance for engaging them.
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Three wedges in mine, I can rotate them in and out without jacking up the truck. I prefer it this way so if I had to take a shim out on the pack I would. IIRC, you adjust the pack with shims on the bolts to adjust unless you need a ton of adjustment which I believe torklift said to take a wedge out. I like that I can engage and disengage them with only a rachet and extension. YMMV...
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.