Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jay Feather 22RB Alternatives

digitaljedi89
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!

I've been in the market for a travel trailer to tow with an F150 and absolutely love the floor plan of the Jay Feather 22RB (5565 lbs dry weight and 6500 lbs gross). However it is only a hair under maxing out the truck (within 100lbs of loaded payload) and about 150lbs from maxing out the tow weight - I don't feel comfortable doing that. I've been looking all over but have come up empty looking for a similar floor plan from another manufacturer. Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar to the 22RB (bedroom separated by door and large bathroom) but with a dry weight starting under or close to 5000lbs? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

digitaljedi89
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your replies, its given me confidence in the truck, looks like I'll stick with my original TT choice!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
An older, high mileage 1/2 ton truck, towing at the limit of most ratings, would not be a good choice. Your truck is new, healthy, and very capable of towing up to all limits. I've driven a similar truck (not towing) with the 2.7 and was very impressed.

You know and understand the numbers. The GCVWR is a duty rating by the manufacturer, stating we will stand behind this drivetrain, when towing this additional wt. Since they will warranty that vehicle, at that number, I have to believe they are giving themselves a bit of wiggle room.

I'd get that trailer you like, get a good WDH, and if lots of towing in the mts, be sure to keep the trailer brakes adjusted properly. New trailers need a readjust in a very short time. Ford has a really good IBC, that is easy to use.

Jerry

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I think your truck will be fine. You could spruce up the suspension a little if you want. Maybe add airbags or Sumosprings. Even your P rated tires are capable. That 2.7 is awesome. There's a youtube video of an F150 with a tuned 2.7 snapping the drive shaft while drag racing/towing.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

digitaljedi89
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your replies! Iโ€™ve got a 2020 F150 Screw 4x4 2.7L ecoboost. Max payload is 1590lbs. Curb weight is 5020lbs and GCVWR is 12,900lbs - that leaves just shy of 6300lbs for towing assuming I max the payload.

The 22rb is 5565 dry and 6500 gvw (approx 800lb tongue weight) which in theory isnโ€™t a problem but my concern is that everything is very close to max. Iโ€™ve never towed that close to everything tipping the scales. I live pretty close to sea level and would be using it mostly in the Rockies which would be a several thousand feet elevation increase and from reading others experiences, you want to have a little more wiggle room to maintain control in those situations. What are your thoughts on this? Would a high quality WDH provide adequate control in this scenario or should I look for something smaller?

Iโ€™d like to add that I was originally in the market for an F-250 but my work heavily subsidized F-150s specifically and it was a no-brainer financially to go that route so Iโ€™m limited in sticking with the F-150.

Thanks for all your input!

- also thanks Wandering! Iโ€™ll have a look at the Clippers.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œonly 935lb of cargo capacity in the trailerโ€

Thatโ€™s terrible! No way you wonโ€™t overload that trailer. Donโ€™t buy it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the Coachmen clipper lines or this kz.
Happy hunting.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd be more concerned with having only 935lb of cargo capacity in the trailer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The Jayco 212QB has a nice layout and dry weight of 4,400 pounds. Mine is 5,400 loaded but with only 5 gallons of fresh water.

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
What is it that worries you about using your truck up to its ratings?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You certainly know YOUR OWN comfort zone, but many F150s are capable of that trailer weight. The frontal design, and length of trailer, will make more difference than 5-6 hundred lbs.

What year, engine, model F150 do you have? Welcome to the forum!

Jerry