cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

jayco designer series pop up questions

flytime
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks, I recently bought a pop up trailer and am opening it up to go through. I tried to plug in the electrical line to my garage to use the lights, fans etc while at the house. After plugging in, it isn't turning on the trailer fans, lights etc????? Is there a switch that I need to know about for using a land line? I hooked up the battery cables on the front of the trailer to a battery thinking I needed that hooked up to complete the system (battery is dead), but the electrical still isn't working. What am I doing wrong????? Would the trailer battery have to charge some before the system works (plugged into the 110)? Thoughts
16 REPLIES 16

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Shore power should run the 12v items. Sounds like you have a problem in the converter. I would be suspect of it actually charging your battery when plugged into shore power. Keep an eye on it.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

flytime
Explorer
Explorer
Update....So I went to the store and bought a new RV battery as the old ones were flat out dead. Hooked it up to the trailer, still being hooked up to the shoreline and now the lights, fans work. I am surprised that the shoreline didn't power those things with or without the battery hooked up. Learning as I go.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It sounds like your converter is working and there is a break in the wiring that goes up to the roof. Remember you're trailer has two separate wiring systems. Your converter takes the 120V from your shore power cord and "converts" it into 12V. I listed all the items in a popup that I could think of and what their voltages are. Here is a simple quick test that you might have already performed.

Disconnect the battery and plug then plug the trailer into shore power. If ANY of the 12V items listed below work, your converter is probably fine.

12V (fuses)
Water pump
Heater
Vent fans
Lights in the ceiling
Step light
Lpg detector

and 120V (circuit breakers)
Air conditioning
Air conditioning fan
Microwave
All the household type outlets.

Take moment and check a few and let us know what you found.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible but still somewhat unlikely that the Elixir converter is yet the problem.

Have you tested anything else that is 12v powered, such as the furnace, water pump or refrigerator on DC power?

If those devices work, then you're likely looking at a break in the wiring going to the ceiling. If they do NOT work, then maybe the converter is the culprit.

You've still got some troubleshooting to do.

That said, my Elixir 20 died on me a few years ago and I replaced with what was basically a direct swap-out (it is even sold as such) which was the WF8725. It's a slight increase in the amps provided (20 amps of the Elixir vs 25 amps on the WFCO), but it fits the exact same hole in your cabinetry as the Elixir.

WF8725 model for $100 plus shipping. There are better/bigger models out there to replace the Elixir with but this would be my starting point if you end up needing to replace it.

At this point, I still feel like it is in the wiring somewhere. Do you have a multi-meter? Time to pull it out and see where you are and are not getting 12v DC power.

It's a good sign that you have 120v AC, though. It let's you work at night...which I often do.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

flytime
Explorer
Explorer
The vent fan for the ceiling. No AC in this pup.

Dyngbld
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the AC is plugged in. Mine has a plug in near the galley.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7bd775c-4d1e-46d4-850d-e014153937be

mythree
Explorer
Explorer
What fans are you talking about? If it is the ac fan mine actually plugs in at the dinnette booth on mine.
1 newborn ds
2 dd
1ds
1 beautiful dw

flytime
Explorer
Explorer
Update...I plugged my shoreline into the garage...then took a house lamp and plugged it into the wall plug outlet in the trailer. The lamp turned on. I then rechecked the breaker switch in the converte and the fuses in the converter and all looked well. Reset my GFI switch in the trailer but still no fans, trailer lights turned on. Can it be the converter itself? The trailer is a 2004 model very little use. Is it hard to change the converter, "Elixer" model. How much are they if I have to replace?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I second the advice to check under the side of the roof on the road side, outside under the lip of the roof. I seem to remember that Jayco puts a switch there.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

flytime
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 2004 12 f5 model........

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
The battery does not need to be hooked up at all for any of the 12v DC appliances to work assuming that you have plugged the 120v shore power cord into an active outlet at home. I'm guessing here but by mentioning that your Jayco is a Designer series, it's somewhat recent. If you could provide specific year/model information, that would be helpful.

As part of the troubleshooting process, figure out what DOES work. Do the 120v AC outlets work? That tells you that the converter is at least partially working. Plug a household lamp, lights or radio into the outlets and verify.

Do any of the other 12v DC appliances work - i.e. does the water pump work, will the furnace kick on? Do you have a automobile style radio built into the PUP and does it work?

If so, then you've at least determined that the converter is not the primary culprit.

If all else works and you don't have interior lights, then focus on the circuit and electrical wiring that controls that. Jaycos usually have a micro contact switch on the road side of the PUP, towards the rear and just up under the roof line. When you raise the roof, the switch allows the circuit to be completed (or not shorted). If this switch is damaged, it could be preventing your lights.

It will look like this switch but only instead of having the arm with the wheel on top, it will be inverted with the arm and wheel on the bottom side. Again, this should be on the road side of the PUP up under the roof mounted on the side wall of the roof.

This may be the next culprit in line. But I would start with swapping out the fuses. That is the best, easiest place to start. Replace them all for peace of mind, if you want. But I would replace them with new fuses one at a time, so it will help you determine what is powered by what fuse and subsequent circuit. Not a bad time to make a label of what fuse controls what items inside the PUP. Jayco did OK but not great at labeling the circuits.

Cape_Cod_Mounta
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you already tried all the things I thought of. SO now it is time to broaden the test circle. I have no idea if these things make any difference but...Is your battery hooked up? There should be a large fuse on the battery + line as well. Flip the circuit breakers on and off and on again to be sure they reset. No 'hmmm' from the transformer, huh?
Tracing power through the lines is a PITA but it may be your lot in life. Get out the ol' mini-tester and start at the fuses. It could be that a break is not obvious.
Destinations on purpose: Canada: Alberta, BC, Nove Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick. USA: ME,NH,MA,VT,NY,MT,WY,MN,MI,WI,GA,VA,FL,UT,CA,OR,ID,CO,NV,AZ
:BLife is Good
2009 Jayco 1206
2011 Toyota Tundra

flytime
Explorer
Explorer
So, I checked the converter circuit breaker and fuses and all look right. I have a little on/off switch next to the converter and it was in the on position while trying to solve problems. Hooked 30 amp black cord up to generator to see if any difference there and none....kind of at a loss here....any help from here...

flytime
Explorer
Explorer
It has a slide out table and slide out kitchen where sink and stove are. I will look for switch near the swing up sink/stove come up. Does the battery have to be hooked up when plugged into 110 supply?