Would like to hear from Jeep V-6 owners. Have had a couple of
mechanics indicate there have been many problems with this engine,
compared to the in-line 6. Would appreciate any and all comments,
good, bad, or indifferent
25 REPLIES 25

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2014 Pentastar in Our Family Minivan. It's a powerful and efficient motor. We are about to 75k miles. The water pump exploded (dealers words) at 2,600 miles. I just had to change the oil pressure sensor out of warranty and it was pretty expensive at close to $500. The part was $49.00 but they "had to take the top of the motor off". After watching a you tube video they had to remove the upper intake as the sensor is attached to the oil cooler. I know it's not a Jeep but the motor is the same. Other than those two things it's been a great motor.

I would buy another vehicle with the Pentastar without thinking about it. .

Thanks
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have 3 Wranglers, 2008 (108,000 miles), 2014 (34,000 miles) and a 2016 (7,000 miles). Love the Wrangler. The 14 and 16 are essentially the same and are they a big step from the 2008 in regards to get up and go when you need it.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Teebucket1313
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler and have had no issues! Scary!!! In the past I have had lemons. This new 3.6 V6 is suppose to be very good engine. It has good power and I get 20 MPG if I'm not 4 wheeling. And towing it is a dream.
Dennis & Sheri
2007 Travel Supreme
Good Sam Life Time Members
FMCA member F399328
2021 RAM 1500 4X4

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
My 1968 Jeepster had the Buick designed Dauntless V6. Worked very well.
Much better than the Perkins diesel.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
1995brave wrote:
In the early 80's until 87 the used a Chevy or Buick 4l V-6 (it was a dog). In the early 2000's they went to the 3.7l V-6, good power, but you had to change oil all the time(it would start to gum up.) Lost ours when it spun a bearing. And now they have the 3.6l Pentastar

???

The 4.0 that they used was a Jeep I6. And it was pretty much indestructible.

Then they went to the 3.8 V6 that was also used in the minivans. Good engine for the time, now seems low on power and MPG. The 3.7 truck engine was never used in Jeep Wranglers.

The 3.6 Pentastar V6 that is currently used has won many awards. Good power and MPG. Also used in the full size cars.

The 3.7 was used in Jeep Liberty`s, Grand Cherokee`s and Commander.

My error. I was thinking more "traditional" Jeep. Completely forgot about the Liberty, Commander and current Cherokee. I would have sworn the GC didn't use the 3.7, but I would have been wrong.

I knew what you meant. I just didn't want someone not familiar with them to be confused.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
I am on third water pump in my 3.7 liter V6 in 2008 Liberty. First two were replaced by the dealer under warranty. The third one is after market. About 100 000 miles on the odo. My daughters 2009 V6 Wrangler had oil leak from intake manifold. After dealer repair under warranty it was burning oil, big time until she got rid of it.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
The 4.0 I6 was developed by American Motors when it owned Jeep. Made a whole 190 HP. Not bad in it's day but nowhere near today's V6's.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
1995brave wrote:
In the early 80's until 87 the used a Chevy or Buick 4l V-6 (it was a dog). In the early 2000's they went to the 3.7l V-6, good power, but you had to change oil all the time(it would start to gum up.) Lost ours when it spun a bearing. And now they have the 3.6l Pentastar

???

Then they went to the 3.8 V6 that was also used in the minivans. Good engine for the time, now seems low on power and MPG. The 3.7 truck engine was never used in Jeep Wranglers.

The 3.6 Pentastar V6 that is currently used has won many awards. Good power and MPG. Also used in the full size cars.

My error. I was thinking more "traditional" Jeep. Completely forgot about the Liberty, Commander and current Cherokee. I would have sworn the GC didn't use the 3.7, but I would have been wrong.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Give the Pentastar DI and hang a turbo on it. I could see the Hemi disappearing except for some SRT and truck models.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
MetalGator is correct. I have the near famous MiniVan 3.8L in my 2011 Wrangler with 76k and have no issues. I won't be winning any speed trials but it gets me where I want to go and I enjoy it every day. The early run of the 3.6L did but most what I read now in the Jeep forums is all pretty good, if they made a color as great as my Sahara Tan I'd be looking, but I love my Jeep and I'm not trading it.

Same here in an '08 Rubicon. It's a 6-speed manual so that helps a bit, but it does feel a bit under-powered. We love it, though. No issues whatsoever (with the engine anyway...ask me about the front axle seals....)
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 Jeep Cherokee has the 3.2 Penstar V-6 and have had no problems.
cpaulsen

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had absolutely no issues with my 2015 V6. Which issues did the mechanics say they were having? Do these mechanics service a lot of grand Cherokees? The same engine is in numerous Chrysler vehicles so why single out the jeep? Seems like a weird thing to say to me.
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
1995brave wrote:

???

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:

???

Then they went to the 3.8 V6 that was also used in the minivans. Good engine for the time, now seems low on power and MPG. The 3.7 truck engine was never used in Jeeps.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010