Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just sayin hello with my '68 Scotty

tommy2bits
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, New to the forum.

My two "waiting in the wings" campers are a ten foot '78 Playmor that has rounded edges and you would never guess that it was not a '60 model. I am going to rebuild it with my little sister as a brother sister project because she loves vintage campers too. I also have "waiting in the wings" a '74 Prowler which is also a ten footer rebuild project that I am going to do the interior in weathered cedar with a queen size bed and a big RV shower that I pulled from a motor home for my guest house as well as being a fully functional and towable camper.

The camper that I camp in is a '68 Scotty. It's got a bare aluminum exterior and I bought it with the interior already all blue which was a bit overpowering but it calmed down a bit when I added the wood dinette table, cabinet doors and the "boudoir" wall to separate the bed. I camp at least once almost every month of the year except for Jan, Feb, July and August because of heat and cold. sometimes I'll camp in January because this is Texas so winter is always iffy. I am super happy with it and next on my list is a small hot water heater.

My two project campers:

13 REPLIES 13

alanaks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I'll remember that!
Alana KS

tommy2bits
Explorer
Explorer
Another company bought the rights years later and currently make aqua trailers under the Scotty name. They offer a teardrop a small Sportsman model although they are nothing at all like the old Scottys. The only one keeping a classic Scotty shape including the wheel openings is the Hilander which I would put in the same class as a Shasta Reissue.

http://www.scottytrailers.com/hilander.php

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
:C Cool. Thank you for sharing

sargetom203
Explorer
Explorer
Scotty built their trailers several miles from where we live. They were very successful and made a good trailer. We owned 4 of them until they burnt down in 1997, putting them out of the business.
We began in a '69 Scotty Hilander 15' and just loved it. then on to two 18" and the 21 1/2'.............no problems with any of them...great times. We'd still have a Scotty, were it not for the unfortunate fire.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice - I like that... Thanks for sharing...

Might even survive a couple of nights in one the North Texas Blue Norther's we used to experience in the Wichita Falls area that seems to come out nowhere in the winter seasons...

By the time you gets things all buttoned up it goes away haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice a I used to have an 18' Playmor; wish I still had it.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Scotty looks great and you have some great projects to work on! We're looking for something very similar for our 2016 project.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
So cool, I had an opportunity to purchase and restore an Airstream but the owners son sold it out of on under me when his dad became ill. It was a diamond in te rough. Hopefully new owner is restoring it. One day I'll find a restorable RV and have some fun as you have.

Welcome and thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas..
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. :C

tommy2bits
Explorer
Explorer
alanaks wrote:
Beautiful! And an inspiration. I bought my first trailer a year and a half ago and live in it full time, it's a '67 Scotsman. You can see an external shot on my profile. I can't find much information online about the make/model. Got any you can throw my way, even though we're a year apart?

Hey Alana, Wow you are quite the trooper to work through the Northwestern rain and winter! I would have done the same with the bed by flipping sideways since there's enough room. My prowler was that same floor plan when I got it. I have always loved the Scotsman's and almost bought one. All the vintage campers were called "Old campers" for so long they didn't receive the attention to record keeping like vehicles since they were much smaller companies so much had been lost to eternity. Any questions you have I'll try to answer... I've been through a bunch of them, and I am known around town as "That guy down in the bottoms on the county line with all them campers"! haha!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Cool!
I love me some trailer restoration!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mdprowash
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome and beautiful!

alanaks
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful! And an inspiration. I bought my first trailer a year and a half ago and live in it full time, it's a '67 Scotsman. You can see an external shot on my profile. I can't find much information online about the make/model. Got any you can throw my way, even though we're a year apart?
Alana KS