cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K-Z Escape Mini M181RK Carrying Capacity

mz-s
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at getting one of these, going to go to the dealer a little later on this week to look at it in person - so far I'm just going off discussions over the phone with the dealer, and information online from the dealer and K-Z's website.

Initially my concern is carrying capacity. The trailer weighs ~2500lbs dry, with a rated carrying capacity of ~600 pounds. I'm concerned that 600lbs is not much. My wife and I would eat up at least 3/4 of that weight. We wouldn't even be able to put a loaf of bread in the trailer without overloading it once we add propane, batteries, and a tank of water. Obviously we would not be in the trailer when in transit, but we would be in it when camping.

Am I thinking about this wrong? Here's a link to the trailer's specs from K-Z's website:

https://www.kz-rv.com/products/escape-mini-travel-trailers/M181RK.html
6 REPLIES 6

mz-s
Explorer
Explorer
The CCC of the trailer just seemed too low (and the price too high for the quality) for us so we removed it from contention. Thanks everyone for their input!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Our first trailer had about 600# ccc. Admittedly, I never weighed the trailer to see if I was over the gross, but we did weigh the “permanent” things as we put them in the trailer. I don’t thing the food weighed all that much, it was a small fridge. We were right about at the ccc, but never had an issue towing it all over the east coast.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mz-s wrote:
We do plan on doing some boondocking so we will be traveling with water a decent amount. I'm wondering if this is a good trailer for us with this in mind, or if I am worrying about nothing.

This is a common problem with many smaller single axle trailers and IMO you're right to be concerned. One of the things that attracted us to the 192RBS was it's CCC in excess of 2000 lbs which allowed us to carry as much as we wanted in cargo even with the FW tank full. In fact, because I always serviced the waste tanks here at home using a macerator we always came home with content also in the black tank - no issues at all when the trailer has plenty of CCC.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mz-s
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
It's probably less than that. Brochure weights are usually off.
An R-Pod-179 which is identical has 1036 lbs for CCC.
Doubt you can add 600 lbs since there's really no where to put very much stuff unlike a large TT or 5th wheel.
You'll probably be at the max on the axle. Not sure what kind of camping you intend to do so if you want to carry water then that will eat up 240 lbs alone.

Yeah my concern is the max on the axle, seems like they really should have made this puppy a tandem.

We do plan on doing some boondocking so we will be traveling with water a decent amount. I'm wondering if this is a good trailer for us with this in mind, or if I am worrying about nothing. 300lbs of gear after water is a lot of gear, probably more cargo than this trailer has space for.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably less than that. Brochure weights are usually off.
An R-Pod-179 which is identical has 1036 lbs for CCC.
Doubt you can add 600 lbs since there's really no where to put very much stuff unlike a large TT or 5th wheel.
You'll probably be at the max on the axle. Not sure what kind of camping you intend to do so if you want to carry water then that will eat up 240 lbs alone.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
You only have to worry about the carrying capacity when it's going down the road, so your and your wife's weight do not apply.

However, 600 lbs. is frightfully low but I don't know what is normal for tiny trailers.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page