cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance vs Jayco

ERnurse16
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning everyone! I am looking to buy a travel trailer and begin enjoying some weekend trips away from home. I have a Toyota 4runner with GVW towing of 5000#. I have always pulled trailers (horse and cargo) with double axles so that is what I am most comfortable with and am looking for the same in my travel trailer. I had narrowed down my options to the Jayco 22 FQSW and the Lance 1685. Both of their weights are 5500# but I will not be loading to the full cargo weight. They both are double axle with a small slide. I don't need a ton of space as it will just me my mother, myself, my infant daughter and my Golden Retriever but I'd like a slide to give just a bit more space. I'm looking for any tips, advice, thoughts on the trailers, etc. I have never RV'd before so I am completely new to this. Thanks in advance and I look forward to any help.
14 REPLIES 14

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
Were I to do it all over again, I'd probably go with a Livin' Lite trailer. Its "space station" interior may put off some, but I like the fact that rot isn't an issue with it. It likely will be still be on the road well after a lot of other units have turned into scrap metal.

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lance 1685, and its weighs about 5000lbs loaded, I tow it with a chevy 2500 and I can feel it back there! Forget about it with your 4-runner! You need the new Lance 1475 or Lance 1575 maximum!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at your door jamb where it says total weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxx lbs. Post that number.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
Have to agree with the above, what you are looking at is too heavy. Otherwise the Lance would be my choice.

Have you looked into the Livin Lite, Camp Lite trailers? Some very well built lite weight options to consider.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Bols2DawaLL wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
ERnurse16 wrote:

Either of these trailers you've mentioned are way too heavy for your 4Runner. 😞 A so-called "tow rating" of 5000 lbs doesn't mean you can tow a trailer anywhere near that heavy as you also have to account for the weight of everyone and everything in the vehicle. With such a limited vehicle you'd want to not tow anything with a GVWR greater than 3500 lbs.

X3 + don't even think of it!
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

Bols2DawaLL
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
ERnurse16 wrote:

Either of these trailers you've mentioned are way too heavy for your 4Runner. 😞 A so-called "tow rating" of 5000 lbs doesn't mean you can tow a trailer anywhere near that heavy as you also have to account for the weight of everyone and everything in the vehicle. With such a limited vehicle you'd want to not tow anything with a GVWR greater than 3500 lbs.

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might want to look at the Lance 1575. Lance is a better camper than Jayco, construction and material wise.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ERnurse16 wrote:
I have a Toyota 4runner with GVW towing of 5000#.

I had narrowed down my options to the Jayco 22 FQSW and the Lance 1685. Both of their weights are 5500# but I will not be loading to the full cargo weight.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Moved from Forum Technical Support

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
The Lance TTs that I have seen all are very low to the ground with little clearance. This would be a problem if you go forest service two tracks, etc.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Knowing what I do about Lance truck campers, I would stay away from them. As for Jayco. One of the better TTs going, although their pups had water issues.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
Lance seems to make a high quality product, at least their campers are, so I assume there trailers are as well. Of course when we were looking, that quality came at a noticeably higher price. My guess is that the 22ft Jayco costs about the same as the 17ft Lance, correct?
Since you are looking at the Lance you should also consider the Arctic Fox and Outdoor RV products. Both would be in the next tier up from the jaycos, keystones, forest rivers, etc.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
When we were shopping for a new trailer we considered Jayco and Lance along with many others and decided on Lance for there overall quality and features offered, been very happy with our decision.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
ERnurse16 wrote:
Good morning everyone! I am looking to buy a travel trailer and begin enjoying some weekend trips away from home. I have a Toyota 4runner with GVW towing of 5000#. I have always pulled trailers (horse and cargo) with double axles so that is what I am most comfortable with and am looking for the same in my travel trailer. I had narrowed down my options to the Jayco 22 FQSW and the Lance 1685. Both of their weights are 5500# but I will not be loading to the full cargo weight. They both are double axle with a small slide. I don't need a ton of space as it will just me my mother, myself, my infant daughter and my Golden Retriever but I'd like a slide to give just a bit more space. I'm looking for any tips, advice, thoughts on the trailers, etc. I have never RV'd before so I am completely new to this. Thanks in advance and I look forward to any help.

Go with the Lance. Well built, history of reliability, holds resale value better than most.
Once people buy Lance they tend to keep them as evident by the low number of used
Lances for sale in comparison to most other brands. Airstream is also a quality RV but a little high priced.