cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling Blocks

akronharry
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use those yellow leveling blocks on their dual wheeled travel trailers or is just buying a 2 x 10 and cutting it up work just as well/ Drawbacks? Thanks in advance.
22 REPLIES 22

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
2x10 is stronger and cheaper. Levelling blocks are much lighter and easier to store (and no slivers). I use a mix of both.
We use the same, a mix of both.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Much prefer my Wood / Lynx Leveling System that I've been using for years ... folds in half for easy storage, doesn't sink into a soft ground surface, and the wood base has eliminated any chance of Lynx breakage. Some of my Lynx are now 15 yrs old, a little faded but otherwise the same as they were when new.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
My concern about the yellow blocks is that they may not support the entire footprint of the tire. When that happens the load is taken by only part of the tire possibly overloading the tire. Just overnighting? should be no problem. However, if that condition exists every time out it could be a problem.
We use 2 inch thick boards several inches wider than the tire. That additional width also make is easier to drive onto it.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Just used a few of my blocks the other day, had not used them in a few years though. Needed to put the left side up just a little, they worked.
Mark

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I have a mix of 8-4x6x12" and 4-3/4"x12x12 plywood screwed together and 20 yellow blocks sometimes had to use all of it
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
We use 2 sets of them yeller squares. You can stack'em into pretty high pyramids when needed.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I tried using them many moons ago, and find lumber still works the best (for me). Yes, lumber is heavy, and takes up space... yes! But it works for us. The Lynx blocks are hallow, and if using them on sand, grass, or dirt, the edge on the back side will sink into the ground until the ground touches the underside. So, actually, the first layer is a loss, but necessary on sand and dirt.

Not to long ago, someone said on these forums that the plastic Lynx blocks get misshapped after a while. Because they are plastic, I can see them eventually breaking. I've been using the same treated lumber and posts from a 150 year old bar under my jacks ever since I had my first pop-up. Same boards. I paint them different colors every couple years. They are now currently red. Easy to see in grass or asphalt, and never forget to get them or leave them behind by accident. Also, 2x4 x 18 inches comes in real handy for leveling picnic tables. Nothing worse than have your eggs slide off your plate on an unlevel picnic table. So I carry a lot of lumber for all kinds of stuff. I've go no problems stacking lumber up 9 inches or more high to level one side, if the camp site is that unlevel side to side (which.... we've been to a few like that over the years.) Lumber is MY friend!

I have a set of yellow Lynx in my pass-through, but never use them. Been dragging them around for years too. Maybe someday my wife will let me get rid of them.

Folks either love the Lynx and swear by them, or they hate them. Seems to be no in-between opinions.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2x10 is stronger and cheaper. Levelling blocks are much lighter and easier to store (and no slivers). I use a mix of both.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE