cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveling Issues

Webber229
Explorer
Explorer
During the process of setting up my TT for my WD hitch, while leveling front to back, I noticed that the passengers side of my TT un-coupled was 24 1/2" on the front pass corner from the frame to the ground and 23 1/2" on the rear pass corner from the frame to the ground. My drivers side however for a perfect 24" across the TT from the frame to the ground. The ground that I was doing this on was level (concrete driveway). My TT is brand new and I have yet to taken it on a trip. I also noticed that my rear bumper which is the 4x4" tube bumper is bent, higher on the drivers side, lower on passenger.

I guess the point of me posting since I'm new to the camper world is are all of these things normal for a new TT? I understand that these things are built on a assembly line so their not going to be perfect but I'm just curious.

I have a 2022 Jayco WhiteHawk 27RK.

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Ah , got you now. I just pulled to a level spot and did the install. If you level the camper even on a small slope, you move it on a fulcrum, rasing or lowering the front, so measurements will be different depending on the slope you parked it on. Measure it on totally level ground and I bet its probably on the money.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Webber229
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
I am curious as to why your measuring and leveling the camper? You measure the tv for the wdh? After its hooked up you see if its level? Thats one.
Two is are the tires all the same and inflated to the same psi? I wouldn't worry about an inch, especially since, it could be anything. But is just probably the small slope of the driveway as stated.

In the Manuel for the WDH it says you must have the TT level to get the correct hitch hight! Thanks for the reply.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious as to why your measuring and leveling the camper? You measure the tv for the wdh? After its hooked up you see if its level? Thats one.
Two is are the tires all the same and inflated to the same psi? I wouldn't worry about an inch, especially since, it could be anything. But is just probably the small slope of the driveway as stated.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
BurbMan wrote:
The driveway isn't level per se, but it's flat, meaning that if he got the same F/R frame to ground measurement on the left side it should be the same on the right too if the TT frame is flat.

Have you ever set forms for a concrete driveway? Sight down an old 2x6 that has been used multiple times and it's not unusual to see a 1/2inch of bowing/twisting.

Unless it's something like a machine shop where the floor had to be precision leveled for a special piece of machinery, I wouldn't trust a concrete floor to be that precise.

To really get it accurate, you would need to do something like:
- Place thin shims where the tires will sit and using a laser level, make sure they are perfectly level under all 4 tires. Probably need them level to less than 1/16th inch if you want to check for better than 1/2 inch accuracy.
- Verify the tires are identical and aired up to the same level. Low air pressure could throw off the measurement.
- Use a laser level to set a baseline and measure from the frame to the baseline on all 4 corners.

And even then, little things could throw off. Is there camber to the main beams?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Without getting complicated, trying to establish level to a high tolerance is going to be difficult. Unless there are signs of something obviously bent, damaged, misaligned, etc..., I'd probably call 1/2 inch good enough given the limitations of your means of measurement.

That's where I was heading with this...in the absence of an identifiable problem I would say there isn't one.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Level/flat/parallel seem to be sources of confusion in RVing. The semantics of which will just get lost on some, so no point arguing aboot what the slope of your driveway is, how it drains, or how it affects precise measurements between the 2 surfaces.
Whether all 4 corners are perfectly “level” (theoretical “level towing” which does not need to be precise to the 1/2” over 30’, but more an order of magnitude thing) is irrelevant to setting it up for towing. You can get your tongue height based on how it’s sitting now. Again, approximate, not important to the magnitude of minor fractions of an inch.
On to the trailer. Since the bumper mimics your measurements, assuming a relatively “flat” planar pavement there are a few possibilities, taking out the “how it sits on the driveway” part.
First, TTs are generally not super rigid frames. Most frames are barely sufficient for the load rating and therefore will experience a good deal of flex.
1. Loading, something causing a little sag on the starboard aft corner.
2. Difference in tire pressure, minor suspension differences etc.
3. The trailer/frame is actually slightly twisted.
4. Any combination of the above plus in inconsistency in driveway.

Overall I would not be alarmed. Trailer is brand new. Document it with the dealer if you’re convinced it could be a problem and then load it up and beat it down the highway. And see if it gets better, worse or the same.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Webber229
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the ideas! I defiantly feel a lot better now except for the bumper thing, I'm not sure how it happened. there is no signs for contact on the bumper from anything I guess it was just welded like that.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
That bumper certainly is not normal !
Sounds like slip shod work at the factory

Guy

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
BurbMan wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
Most "level" concrete driveways have some slope in them so water doesn't just lay on them. Borrow a 6 foot level from somebody and check the driveway before you fret too much.

The driveway isn't level per se, but it's flat, meaning that if he got the same F/R frame to ground measurement on the left side it should be the same on the right too if the TT frame is flat.

Being off by a 1/2" over 32ft is nothing on a typical driveway. Even over the 8.5ft side to side is far from a sure thing.

- It's certainly possible it's simply loaded a bit heavier on one corner.
- It might be variations in the pavement.
- It might be something wrong.

Even a 6ft level might not be accurate enough to detect 1/2" variation over 32ft.

Without getting complicated, trying to establish level to a high tolerance is going to be difficult. Unless there are signs of something obviously bent, damaged, misaligned, etc..., I'd probably call 1/2 inch good enough given the limitations of your means of measurement.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
To declare concrete "flat" without checking is asking for trouble. Half inch in 8 feet is not much, and very common. If you want to check for level a tape measure is not the best tool.

Webber229
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input, all of my tanks are empty as well and yeah it could be a loading issue, I didn’t think about that. And yes the concrete was flat but maybe it wasn’t perfectly level. Either way I think I should be getting the same measurements on all 4 corners of the frame if it was perfectly level. Also I got under my TT and didn’t notice any visible cracks in any welds and all of my leaf springs and suspension as a whole looks good as well. I will take a more detailed look at it again this evening!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:
Most "level" concrete driveways have some slope in them so water doesn't just lay on them. Borrow a 6 foot level from somebody and check the driveway before you fret too much.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
First thing that comes to mind is loading, is there anything heavy in the RR corner? Sounds like the RR corner has a 1/2" drop that is producing a corresponding rise in the RF corner. Maybe water tank is located there, at 8 lbs/ gal, a 50-gal fresh water tank then weighs 400 lbs.

I would also have a look at the right side suspension, spring hangers, equalizer, etc to be sure everything is bolted together right.

a 1/2" out-of-level by itself is not a huge deal as long as it's not a symptom of something more serious.