cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveling TT

B-52G
Explorer
Explorer
I have been pulling 5th wheels for the last 10 years and have went back to a travel trailer. I am having a heck of a time getting it level. Seems I get it level disconnect get it level up and down and put the slide out and we notice a day or so later it is of to the slide side. My question is could the slide be causing the trailer to be unlevel to that side when we put it out. Never had a problem with it on or last 5th wheel, but it had 2 slides on different sides.
18 REPLIES 18

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Yep, on my travel trailer if it's exactly level when I park, then I know I need to run the streetside tires up on a couple pieces of 3/4" plywood I keep in the truck for that.

Extend slide out and it's now perfect left to right.

Here is my silly reason for getting it level: if it is slightly down on the streetside, I get a small puddle of water in the galley sink. Get it level and it all runs into the drain.

Not so silly to me, I purposely have the hitch slightly high and street side slightly low so water flows the right direction in the tub/shower. 🙂
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

B-52G
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone one for the advise. Going out tomorrow and will try some of it and see how is goes.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:
rbpru wrote:
I was told the frig needs more than a 3 degree of tilt before it has problems.

If true, that sounds like a significant tilt to me.

Agreed.

Some more food for thought... I leave my fridge running on propane while traveling and I've gone over 10 degree grades and the fridge continues to run.

Now, I'm not condoning letting the fridge run for long stretches at such an angle but I question the "degree" of debate that goes on about making sure things are perfectly level for the fridge.

Driving is different because the splashing and sloshing keeps the crystals from forming that cause the damage.

Gotcha and thanks for the info.
I love me some land yachting

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Across a 8-foot wide trailer, 3 degrees is equal to about 5 inches. So if side to side you are off by no more than 5 inches you are fine. For comfort, if your within 1-inch to 1-1/2 inch you probably wouldn't even notice it and I wouldn't worry about it.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, on my travel trailer if it's exactly level when I park, then I know I need to run the streetside tires up on a couple pieces of 3/4" plywood I keep in the truck for that.

Extend slide out and it's now perfect left to right.

Here is my silly reason for getting it level: if it is slightly down on the streetside, I get a small puddle of water in the galley sink. Get it level and it all runs into the drain.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
RedRocket204 wrote:
rbpru wrote:

Agreed.

Some more food for thought... I leave my fridge running on propane while traveling and I've gone over 10 degree grades and the fridge continues to run.

Now, I'm not condoning letting the fridge run for long stretches at such an angle but I question the "degree" of debate that goes on about making sure things are perfectly level for the fridge.

Driving is different because the splashing and sloshing keeps the crystals from forming that cause the damage.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
3 degrees off may cause your eggs to slide out of the pan and onto the floor! Pancake batter may spill over the top of the pan, and a glass of beer may foam over the lip of the glass! Want to guess what happens with a 3 degree "tilt" when a guy stands in front of the royal throne after drinking that 3 degree tilt beer!

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:

Agreed.

I love me some land yachting

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
If left alone after the initial leveling, can it get far enough out that if your refridgerater is in that slide, it can cause a problem ?
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, we level with the slide side slightly high and then when the slide goes out, it is level. I try to make sure to put the slide side stabilizers down first because it is easy to put the curb side stabilizers down a little too far and then make it harder to get the slide side stabilizers down to maintain level. I try and remember to snug up the stabilizers the next morning. Almost always find one or two a little loose (except when on hard surface).

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Level in our TT depends on where you measure. The floor, the bed, the stove, the frame.

We have a side to side level on the outside. We add one or two 2x12s under the low side wheels, then disconnect and use the tongue jack for front to back. Typically we like the tongue a bit higher.

Two or three days on anything but concrete or asphalt and it will settle.

Just the nature of the beast.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Macrosill
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Yup. We'll actually "level" the trailer with the driver's side slightly higher than the passenger side. Once the 3 slides are out on that side, it settles down a touch.

I do this as well.
Thanks,
Brian

TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TV = 2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW 6.0

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed over our years of RVing that I can have my rig as level as it can get on the first day, then after all the movement while using the trailer the pads will work their way into the ground some and the trailer will get a bit off. I just make adjustments and we go about our day. Only a couple times have I had to hook up and totally re do.....usually after a good rain and the ground softening up.