cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little help with a light fixture

Hama
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, New to the forum. Been doing a lot of reading here, seems like a great place with awesome people and advice. I just bought a used 2005 starcraft rancher. First time owning a travel trailer. A lot to learn and hope all goes well. Ive been trying to fix some things up and came across the light fixture under the outside steps. Looks to be pretty shot. Does anyone know what replacement part it is. Ive been searching but cant find anything that looks like it. Might be because most of it is missing. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

15 REPLIES 15

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you check and see if you have power available at the fixture,if so buy a generic fixture that fits the location and your pocket book

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd disconnect it or replace the whole fixture for a few dollars
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OEM fixture was a POS that didn't last. Why replace it with another of the same kind? Take the advice to replace it with a better LED fixture - most likely will provide better lighting under the stairs.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Hama wrote:
westend wrote:
Hama wrote:
path1 wrote:
If your lucky, on the other side of plastic there might be a part number molded into plastic. Then maybe you can match up, but doubtful. In looking for replacement if you can't match up old screw holes I would put something over the old screw holes to keep moisture out before mounting new light.

yea, i guess ill take it off tomorrow and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice
I see numbers stamped into the base from your picture. What's the difference, though? It's a fairly generic 12V fixture and anything you can get at an auto parts store will work for replacement.
I'd be looking for a marker light with either yellow or clear lense.

Where do you see numbers?

Outboard of the fasteners, "V---". Like I stated, it matters not. Just buy a cheap marker light, preferably with an LED filament.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Hama wrote:
westend wrote:
Hama wrote:
path1 wrote:
If your lucky, on the other side of plastic there might be a part number molded into plastic. Then maybe you can match up, but doubtful. In looking for replacement if you can't match up old screw holes I would put something over the old screw holes to keep moisture out before mounting new light.

yea, i guess ill take it off tomorrow and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice
I see numbers stamped into the base from your picture. What's the difference, though? It's a fairly generic 12V fixture and anything you can get at an auto parts store will work for replacement.
Outboard of the fasteners "V----". Like I stated, it matters not. Just buy a cheap marker light, preferably with an LED bulb.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Hama
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Some one sent me a picture of what it should look like. Anyone know where i can it. Just like to keep it the same if i can. Thanks for all the help.

Hama
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Hama wrote:
path1 wrote:

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your TT.

I would replace it with a LED unit, then consider eventually replacing all the lights with LED.

Also, become familiar with Eternabond. You need to eliminate/prevent roof leaks.

Enjoy your travels.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Hama wrote:
path1 wrote:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the only exterior light? If no, I would consider disabling the fixture so it can't short out. It's one of those things where you turn it on, forget it's on and then you wonder why the house battery runs down so fast. The best set-up is when the exterior light has an interior indicator that reminds you that the outside light is on.

Lesson I learned the hard way!

Another solution is to get one of those cheap solar powered yard lights. Make a plywood base for it. Set it outside when you arrive and put it inside near the step when you leave.
F1BNorm

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Hama wrote:

The lens is broken off. The base might need replaced too.

It's this style lamp: Marker lamp
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Hama
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Replace it with an LED fixture would be my suggestion.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC