cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Bed or Short Bed PU for towing a fifth wheel?

Bill_I
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting ready to purchase a 1 ton Dodge or GMC Denali PU to pull an overall length fifth wheel of 37 feet. Could we get some opinions on whether to go with a long bed PU (8 foot)or a short bed (6 1/2 foot). We are planning on being fulltime RVers for a couple of years.
31 REPLIES 31

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I've owned and operated several long and short bed trucks since the late '50s. I've never found one to be superior to the other as both have their pros and cons.
Just choose the short or long bed truck that fits your needs.

I prefer the white ones.

Uhhhh Earth to Jim
Not really a great analogy as far as "white ones" this day and age.
I've had Red , Black and White ones that all ran the same :W
I suppose you left out the happy face.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Long for me, but I like being able to load the bed with things other than my hitch. Like full sheets of 4x8. And for firewood, fewer trips saves time and fuel. Plus, I couldn't have the canoe on the roof of the truck and the bike rack on the pin box with a SB.

End of the day it is up to you โ€“ personal choice.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I've owned and operated several long and short bed trucks since the late '50s. I've never found one to be superior to the other as both have their pros and cons.

I prefer the white ones.

Best and most accurate post in this thread!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

I prefer the white ones.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
I was on the fence at the dealer, could've literally flipped a coin. Salesman said, "do you want a truck for looks or work"? (Only honest thing that came out of his mouth). I went with the LB and haven't looked back. It handles my 34ft tag along 1000X's better than my last CCSB.

X2!
It is personal choice, BUT I see the only valid reason is getting into a garage! Seeing how the OP is going full time, that isn't an issue.
I look at what Chris went through to make his SB work, all to save 18" to 22" max. I say after driving a CCLB for about two weeks the 22"' wouldn't be noticed or an issue.
I think most that have a size issue have deticated tow vehicles and a compact car for a DD.

Russ, would you like DW's phone so you can hear her view?

The "work" as you called it was just one part of a process of rigging a new tow vehicle. We are quite happy with the results. Chris

LOL! :S
Heavens NO, I have enough trouble dealing with my DW! :B

Not a problem for me as she just doesn't drive the Ram, but my DD borrows it to pull her two horse slant GN trailer. :h
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
Long bed. Better loaded ride and handling.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
CampingN.C. wrote:
I was on the fence at the dealer, could've literally flipped a coin. Salesman said, "do you want a truck for looks or work"? (Only honest thing that came out of his mouth). I went with the LB and haven't looked back. It handles my 34ft tag along 1000X's better than my last CCSB.

X2!
It is personal choice, BUT I see the only valid reason is getting into a garage! Seeing how the OP is going full time, that isn't an issue.
I look at what Chris went through to make his SB work, all to save 18" to 22" max. I say after driving a CCLB for about two weeks the 22"' wouldn't be noticed or an issue.
I think most that have a size issue have deticated tow vehicles and a compact car for a DD.

Russ, would you like DW's phone so you can hear her view?

The "work" as you called it was just one part of a process of rigging a new tow vehicle. We are quite happy with the results. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
CampingN.C. wrote:

X2!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
Depends if you use the PU for something else than towing. I do, gave up the CC LB and returned to a regular cab, long box.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
Not to mention the short wheel base trucks don't come with 6 wheels :W

???? You sure? Chris

Saw a RegCab 8' bed RAM dually recently.
Looked stock?
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both. The short bed is a little bit easier to maneuver around parking lots but the long bed is worry free and a standard hitch is much lighter, less costly and less moving parts to wear out. Since our kids are grown and out, our next truck will be an extended cab long bed.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

michigancougar
Explorer
Explorer
6.5' bed here with 3/4 ton but added the auto slide hitch this time so it slides back automatically in turns - no need to manually get out and pull the lever so no chance of hitting cab unless you truly jackknife the rig. pullrite auto slide is the best invention I have found!
2014 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi
Pullrite Superglide mounted on Reese picture frame to factory ram pucks
one wonderful traveling companion - my wife

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RAM Dually Aisin 4.10's factory rear air ride, B&W hitch and Highway Products tool box. GOLDEN

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD