cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for 26-30 BHS, not a "lite" model?

JLinder
Explorer
Explorer
After selling our Jayco 27BH we are looking for a slightly larger TT. Don't want much longer, but would like a slide (or even 2) and an outside kitchen.

The wish list:

2+ bunks
outside kitchen
u-shaped dinette
bike door something similar
max length stem to stern of 33'
NOT a "light weight" model (don't care for them)
gr/black tanks bigger the better

I had my heart set on the Nash 25C but the wife doesn't like the bunk situation, it's a little tight.

Our 27BH I guess would fit the light weight category but it was a little flimsy in places. Prefer the build quality of the AF and Nash trailers.

I have a 1T tow vehicle so not real concerned about weight in this size of trailer but do need to keep it under 33' for storage purposes.

Recommendations?
20 REPLIES 20

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on finding a nice fit for your needs!
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

JLinder
Explorer
Explorer
We decided on a Wildcat Maxx 29BHS. It doesn't check every box on our wish list but comes pretty darn close. One nice thing I didn't realize is they are built about 2 hours from our house. Hopefully we never have an issue but I feel better knowing the factory is close if needed.

m_2_ak
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the Keystone Sprinter 311BHS? We have the 266RBS and the outside kitchen is now my new man cave. We have had our 266RBS out for 27 nights so far and love it.

http://www.keystonerv.com/sprinter-wide-body/

Happy hunting.
2014 F-250 6.7 PSD Lariat
2014 Keystone Sprinter 266RBS w/ outdoor kitchen:B

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
Interestingly, we wanted a U-shaped dinette in the worst way when we bought our last TT. But the salesman talked us out of it. Turns out he had just returned from a trip to Florida in an RV that had that type of dinette. And he said when the whole family sits at the table, everyone's legs smack into each other because there is virtually no leg room. So we went with a conventional dinette. For those with u-shaped dinettes, do you ever have any issues?

Our U-shaped dinette is perfect for 2 people and 3 dogs. I could see how it would not be good for more than 3 people.

In our case it means we have awesome access to everything (except 3/4 of the sofa) while the slide is in for travel. And when the slide is out we can put 3 large sized dog crates in front of the dinette for bedtime and still be able to walk to the far end of the TT to use the bathroom.

I was looking at RV's a couple of weeks ago and took note of a 5r with a large bunkhouse and it looked like the only dining option was adding tables in front of the long sofa.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Aerolite 282DBHS. It has a bike door, triple bunks with lift system, U-shaped dinette (which I like, other's opinions may vary, but either way wasn't a deal breaker for me), but doesn't have an outside kitchen (that was one of my "must not have" - I didn't want the wasted space and I already have everything I need for cooking outside what I want to cook outside).

I don't know what you mean by "flimsy construction in a lite". I looked at lots of RV's before buying. I was shopping around for well over a year. You can have a "lite" that is well built and solid, or you can have a "lite" that is chincy. Same with a "Non-Lite" (whatever that means), some are well built, some not so much. Basically, in my observation, generally a lite will be laminated walls while a Non-lite is sticks and tin. Some lites also have aluminum frames, some steel. Same with Non-Lite.

Given all that, the quality and chincyness can still run the gamut in either one. There is no substitute for checking everything out thoroughly before you buy; and a lot of comparison shopping. Know what you are getting for your money. More so then not, you get what you pay for. I think you're checking out the Northwood's line would confirm that. You just ain't going to get the good stuff for a bargain basement price.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
The U-dinette is one of those things you will have to take your family to a dealer and sit at one. Is there enough room to for everyone's legs including the table pedestals, everyone's plates, for everyone to eat, room for games? Who has to get up if the inside person wants out?

I spent some of my young days in a truck camper, they mostly have U-dinette. As mentioned, cramped leg room, and if someone other than the edge needs to get up several people have to move.

Our TT has a booth dinette with the table attached to the wall and a single folding leg. LOTS of leg room, the 3 kids sit on one side, me and DW on the other. When Aunt comes, she sits next to DW and I pull up a stool at the edge.

Good luck with your search
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
Interestingly, we wanted a U-shaped dinette in the worst way when we bought our last TT. But the salesman talked us out of it. Turns out he had just returned from a trip to Florida in an RV that had that type of dinette. And he said when the whole family sits at the table, everyone's legs smack into each other because there is virtually no leg room. So we went with a conventional dinette. For those with u-shaped dinettes, do you ever have any issues?

Yes, had a u-dinette and hated it. Same as you, cramped leg room, and even cramped seating. Standard dinette is so much more roomy and comfortable.

Actually, we really love our Jay Flight 26BH, can't see ever replacing it except for wear or damage.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Stovepipe
Explorer
Explorer
Surveyor Camper wrote:
We just purchased 2015 Surveyor made by Forest River. Model 296BHDS, sounds like just what your looking for. Check it out.

That is an interesting variation that I've not seen before, thanks for posting that. And congrats on the purchase!

2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
2015 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi 4x4 CC

JLinder
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. Still on the hunt...

Surveyor_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased 2015 Surveyor made by Forest River. Model 296BHDS, sounds like just what your looking for. Check it out.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Wildwood 26bhss (Salem's the same). It has a 12' slide and a bike door with a queen bed 2 bunks in back (Bottom bunk folds up for bike storage). Like others have said I doubt you'll find a bike door and a outside kitchen.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
This is probably too long but it's got it all.

http://www.granddesignrv.com/reflection308-floor.php

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:

Our Cougar came with the U shaped dinette. After the first trip to the coast, we took it out and went to a bench seat dinette with an oversized table. The U dinette table wasn't even large enough for a game of Monopoly. We now seat four adults and have room for even the serving dishes on the table.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I can't think of a model with an outside kitchen AND a bike door. The Jayco 32BHDS is longer than what you want (and what I wanted) but we really love it.
No bike door though, but meets all your other requirements.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion