cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for better Sway Control

dmcf
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new to us 2006 KZ Frontier 2405 TT, and I am towing with a 2007 Nissan Armada. Before this TT I was towing a Antigua 215SSO, which was about a foot shorter, and 1200 lbs lights. It towed great, but I do not enjoy towing the new trailer. I get some sway, and we are bouncing all over the place. Currently using basic WD bars, and a simple friction anti sway bar. So, I am looking for a new set up with much better sway control. I just watched a video on the Anderson Hitch, and I like the setup, but not sure how well it works. Anyone have suggestions of systems I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Darren
Darren McFarlan
2006 KZ Frontier 2405
2007 Nissan Armada
34 REPLIES 34

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
I now use the Reese dual cam and am very happy with it. It does take some adjusting before you have it set up properly but well worth the effort.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
Darren,

It appears your trailer has an empty weight around 5000# and a GVWR of 7000#.

A realistic loaded weight would be around 6000-6500# with a corresponding tongue weight of about 800-850#.
WD bars rated at 800# should be sufficient.

BTW: Does your Armada have the auto-leveling suspension?

Ron

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to go to a scale and get some real numbers if you really want to fix this and not take a poke in the dark.

Load it as you will for camping, trying to get more weight up front to get your Tongue Weight at least to 10% of your trailers actual weight, preferably closer to 13%-15%.

Once you know your in the range on the tongue weight, Measure your fender heights and read the sticky on PROPERLY adjusting your W/D setup and do so.

Then use your friction sway control and see if it does the job or if you need to add a second one or get a better system.

I'm going to bet, if you do the above, you won't have to spend a dime more and will get it corrected.

If you guess and don't properly adjust, your just asking for troubles. Safety is no place to gamble when you will likely have friends or family with you when your towing your trailer.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Add a second "simple" sway bar and call it done. Contrary to popular opinion the old fashioned technology when set up right does a great job.

Thanks

Jeremiah

This is what I did initially---and it did work OK. But you won't believe the difference between the old fashioned technology and the new stuff (Hensley or even better the ProPride 3p). I can't get enough of my towing experience and I'm at my max weight with a short wheel base.
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Add a second "simple" sway bar and call it done. Contrary to popular opinion the old fashioned technology when set up right does a great job.

Thanks

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
also take into consideration the wheel base of the tow vehicle to length of the TT rule

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
dmcf wrote:
Ok, I have found some numbers that might help, and I think I have an idea of my problem, but I need to get out and weigh my setup.
From the manufacture, the campers UVW is 5300, and Dry Hitch Wt is 480.
I think I might have too much weight in the back of the camper. The rear hard sided bed slides in for travel, and I typically store all my gear under where the bed slides in. I would guess the gear adds around 200lbs. I also have a bike rack in the back, but I typically
only have one bike on it at about 30lbs. I have some gear up front but the storage is pretty small, so I might only have 75lbs up there.

Insufficient tongue weight is a common problem causing sway. You need real numbers to be sure
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said, I am just guessing but your trailer will probably weigh close to 7,000 pounds ready to go camping and for that you need at least 800 pounds of tongue weight. The numbers you posted indicate an insufficient tongue weight.

dmcf
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I have found some numbers that might help, and I think I have an idea of my problem, but I need to get out and weigh my setup.
From the manufacture, the campers UVW is 5300, and Dry Hitch Wt is 480.
I think I might have too much weight in the back of the camper. The rear hard sided bed slides in for travel, and I typically store all my gear under where the bed slides in. I would guess the gear adds around 200lbs. I also have a bike rack in the back, but I typically
only have one bike on it at about 30lbs. I have some gear up front but the storage is pretty small, so I might only have 75lbs up there.
Darren McFarlan
2006 KZ Frontier 2405
2007 Nissan Armada

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
X2 to all that said get it weighed. Find a cat scale and fill out this form.

http://free.fifthwheelst.com/report-2.htm
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Get weighed and come back with your numbers for some meaningful advice. Without that, all we can do is guess and that "might" get you in trouble. I have an Andersen hitch and it certainly has its critics from those who don't own one. It is quiet, clean, light, easy to hook and unhook, and controls porpoising, but it probably won't help you much, as you need to transfer a lot of weight forward to your front axle. That is where the Andersen is lacking. For those that need good sway control and "some" weight shifted from the rear axle to the front and trailer axles, it is great

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
dmcf wrote:
One of my problems is that KZ has no information available on my camper. I have emailed them for any specifications, but they say they do not have any. I am not sure what
the tongue weight is suppose to be. I do know that when I drop the trailer on the Armada the ball does not drop much at all. Maybe a few inches. And even without adjusting the WD chains my setup looks pretty level.

But what does the front do? I'm betting it raises up. You got to get it back down.

BTW. Only way to know your real tongue weight is to weigh it. But if you can get the front of the TV back down real close to where it was unhooked. You setup would be pretty close.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
Hensley design.
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

dmcf
Explorer
Explorer
One of my problems is that KZ has no information available on my camper. I have emailed them for any specifications, but they say they do not have any. I am not sure what
the tongue weight is suppose to be. I do know that when I drop the trailer on the Armada the ball does not drop much at all. Maybe a few inches. And even without adjusting the WD chains my setup looks pretty level.
Darren McFarlan
2006 KZ Frontier 2405
2007 Nissan Armada

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one foot length and 1200 lb weight difference, shouldn't make that much difference to your TV. If majority of that extra weight, is up front, could be, you need more air pressure in TV tires.

Not enough tongue weight, low air pressure (sidewall flex) in TV tires, or, hitch height being too high, can cause those symptoms.

Too much cargo behind TT axles?
Tires properly inflated (both TT and TV) and balanced?
Hitch head too high?
Holding tank locations?

My tongue weight drops 200 lbs when I fill the fresh tank. It is located behind the axles. When traveling with full water, I try to load heavier up front.

I have an Andersen hitch. It does help with bouncing and sway (from bad roads), but, if you have a loading, tire, or hitch height issue, it won't make your problem go away.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)