cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost weight distribution bar

fdekalb3
Explorer
Explorer
I recently lost on the highway a Reese hitch weight distribution bar 49575. I have since learned they no longer make that hitch. I have had no luck on ebay finding a new bar. So now it looks like I will be purchasing a new hitch. My travel trailer is a 2004 Jay Feather with a GVWR of 4400lbs. Any suggestions as to what hitch I should purchase? My local dealer wants me to spend close to 700 dollars for hitch. It looks like my mistake is costing me more and more each day. Suggestions? Does anyone have a Reese 49575 hidden away in their closet?

thanks,

Fran
14 REPLIES 14

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of those spring bars that I have had listed on craigslist for the last two months, with no takers. Too bad you weren't closer. You could have them.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Is this what you are looking for?

Reese_Clicky

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
They must not of had any tension on the bar, for it to drop out on the highway. I would have the mechanic/dealer pay for it.

That might be a bit extreme, although it doesn't cost anything but your own integrity to ask.

Every driver is responsible for checking their equipment. As the OP has acknowledged.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is how I put them on every time after dragging one and grinding a half inch of steel of the J bar of my last Husky WDH.
Originally I was not taught the proper way to install.
1. Insert bar parallel to bumper and make sure you hear it click in to the receiver hole.
2. Attach chain to desired link and tighten
3. THIS IS THE MOST IMPROTANT STEP. STAND ON EACH SIDE AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE LOCKED IN

check the same way each time you stop for a break or fuel

:):):)

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
They must not of had any tension on the bar, for it to drop out on the highway. I would have the mechanic/dealer pay for it.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

fdekalb3
Explorer
Explorer
How did I lose it. I have graduated from losing keys and golf balls. Our camper was at dealer getting roof repair. I picked it up with a buddy and it was installed improperly. My bad as I should of double checked everything. Sigh

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Andersen Hitches. Really like ours.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I think the retaining system (varies by brand) gets worn out, or possibly just not engaged properly. Then the shank walks itself out the bottom. Add to that the fact that a large percentage of them were never properly adjusted to begin with.

I've seen worn, and even broken, retaining clips but even without them it is difficult to drop a bar out while it is under tension. I guess maybe a large enough bump that would reduce the tension might allow it to drop out? If that was the case it would still be attached by the chain and drag along.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
camp-n-family wrote:
Am I the only one still trying to figure out how you could lose one on the highway??

Good question, but it happens fairly often. In fact, I've seen them laying in the middle of the highway more than a once.

I think the retaining system (varies by brand) gets worn out, or possibly just not engaged properly. Then the shank walks itself out the bottom. Add to that the fact that a large percentage of them were never properly adjusted to begin with.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Am I the only one still trying to figure out how you could lose one on the highway??
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Like was mentioned above, Etrailer.com. Give them a call. I needed a lift bar one time...they put me in touch with the factory who makes them.
Mark

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
You might find just the bars that will replace both bars from these guys. The part number you posted is for the entire hitch it appears. I don't have the dual cam set up but the bars that came with mine are bent to accept the dual cam if I decide I want it later. That might be the difference between the older hitch and the new while the head end of the bars might be the same.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Accessories_and_Parts-sf-Weight_Distribution-pt-Spring_Bars-tw-550_...
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
fdekalb3 wrote:
I recently lost on the highway a Reese hitch weight distribution bar 49575. I have since learned they no longer make that hitch. I have had no luck on ebay finding a new bar. So now it looks like I will be purchasing a new hitch. My travel trailer is a 2004 Jay Feather with a GVWR of 4400lbs. Any suggestions as to what hitch I should purchase? My local dealer wants me to spend close to 700 dollars for hitch. It looks like my mistake is costing me more and more each day. Suggestions? Does anyone have a Reese 49575 hidden away in their closet?

thanks,

Fran

Since you already have the 2" shank, I'd spring for one of these. I bought one for our 8500lb GVWR Jayco 28RLS with 800 lb bars off of eBay for $270~ and then a Reese shank from Lowes for $54~.
That or you'll get lucky and someone has the spring bar you need.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-66020-600-Lbs.-Adj.-High-Performance-Trunnion-Style-Without-Shank-33...
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
This one.

Video

How to hitch up with this WD system. - video

Between $400 and $450, depending upon where you purchase it.