cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Battery Voltage

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS. After a 4hr trip home, low voltage prevented the slide from opening. The fridge was running during the trip. Plugged in and opened the slide. The next day I had the battery tested and it's fine. I verified that the truck charges the battery. Yesterday, with battery at 13.6, I unplugged. Fridge was running. This AM, 6.3 volts.

What direction do I need to head? Only the fridge and propane detector were running on the battery.
2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS "Pressure Relief 4"
2017 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Knowledge is good". Emil Faber
32 REPLIES 32

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You need to verify voltage from TV and battery to the 12 volt DC distribution panel.
Is your refer a three way or a two way? If three way it should be set to LP.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
If you want to run the refrigerator on electric while driving, get a DC-DC batter charger.

As most fridges need 325 watts, a 40 amp dc to DC unit would work--but that requires a larger alternator.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
The battery tested good again at the local garage. SnapOn tester. 405CCA tested at 450

Voltage 12.7 connected to TV, not running. 13.6 running. The same voltages are shown on the InCommand touch screen.

I've connected a different battery, turned on the fridge like last night and will see what's happening in the AM.

I'll have to get a DC clamp-on meter. Mine's AC only.

It appears there's no way to switch off the 12v to the tv antenna...

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Does your fridge have a high humidity switch? If so, make sure it is not left on. It can draw the battery down.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
An RV battery or batteries drawn down to 6.3 volts is toast. You have an issue, yes, but buy new batteries when solved.

So if a battery gets discharged to that point it is no longer usable, even if recharged?
I had a battery that was dry, sitting in the garage zero charge in it. I filled with distilled water, trickle charged it for a few days and it went back in service with no issues.

It may not be completely dead, but your RV battery will never have it's full capacity.

I have run automotive batteries down to near zero (interior lights on) and after recharging they were able to start the car, but only because it had very short crank times and the charging system kept it at 100% while the engine was running.

Time for a new RV battery. Two 6V golf cart batteries have more capacity than a 12V marine/RV battery and don't cost much more.

If you want to run the refrigerator on electric while driving, get a DC-DC batter charger.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any water in the battery? They need to be checked each trip.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
One marginal "free with purchase" cheapo battery with likely a marginal converter charging it has no chance of running a fridge even on LP for 24 hours.
I'm in a similar boat, except I understand why my system is marginal and I have good batteries (plural). Cheap converter doesn't charge properly.
Except I use the camper very rarely and have onboard genny at my disposal. If I had the time to repair and/or the need for a more competent system, my WFCO converter would already be in the landfill and a PD converter would be in it's place!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lots of unknowns going on:
- Somewhere around 10-11v is a fully discharged 12v battery. 6.3v is way beyond. You might be able to get it to work a bit but you've probably done significant damage letting it get so low. Even if you do get it to take a charge, don't expect it to do so for long.
- 13.6v is conveniently close to what the converter puts out while charging. A fully charged 12v battery should be around 12.7v with the charger off, so you likely weren't seeing if the battery was fully charged. You just saw the charging voltage.
- Cranking amps is not what you are after with the house bank. You want amp-hours.
- If the fridge is running on propane, it's drawing a negligible amount. Either the battery was already dead or you have something else drawing on the battery.
- Did you actually put a meter on the wires from the truck showing amps going into the battery? Just because, it shows 12-13v doesn't mean many amps are going in (or it could be the same as when the converter is operating and the battery is simply not taking a charge).

What I would do:
- Get a clamp on multimeter (doesn't have to be high end but make sure it does DC current). Learn how to measure volts and amps with it.
- Start with everything disconnected and off (preferably off for an hour or more).
- Check the battery voltage. (if below 12.0v, you are starting with a low battery...around 40% of full)
- Check if there is any amp draw off the battery. (if more than an amp, you have something beyond the propane sensor...track down what it is).
- Plug in and get power to the converter.
- Check the voltage and amperage to the battery. Voltage should be at least 13.6v if the battery wasn't full and possibly over 14v if the charger goes into bulk charging. You should be seeing significant amperage (check the rating on the converter but I would say at least 1/3 to 1/2 the rated amperage up to the rating). If it's only putting in an amp or two, you have a charging issue to track down.
- If the voltage is up and it's putting in significant amps, let it continue for at least a couple hours.
- Check the voltage after a couple hours. It may drop back to around 13.1v if the charger is in float mode or it may drop back to 12.7 if fully charged (probably not but possible)
- Turn off the converter, let sit for 5-10minutes (the battery will gradually drop back when the charging voltage is removed) and check the voltage. Ideally, you should be around 12.5-12.7v. If it's below 12.0v, it's not taking a charge.
- You can repeat the tests hooking the truck up to see if it's really charging off the truck.
- If the battery is showing fully charged, disconnect the leads to the battery (don't trust the disconnect switch), let sit for the night and check the voltage. The drop in voltage overnight should be negligible. If in the morning it's 6.3v, it can only be a bad battery.

Possible issues:
- Since you report 13.6v on the charger, the truck shows a connection and the slide worked once you plugged in, probably not the charging system (do run the checks though as it may be something unexpected).
- The battery is my best guess but if the cranking amps are good, that's odd. Usually that would suffer on an abused battery.
- You have a 12v load that you are not aware of. You need to track down what it is and why it is staying on.

Try to be systematic and return here with the results and people can probably give you better feedback.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The Incommand is in your TV, correct? Just because power is leaving the truck doesn't mean it is getting to the trailer's battery.
Need to measure voltage right at the battery.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mr C,

How many amp-hours is the battery?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
The battery was tested at Advance Auto Parts. They said it had more than the stated CCA. Battery is the original/3yrs old. The fridge has been running on propane. I will have the battery retested somewhere else, and will hook up a different battery and retest. Hoping it's just the battery and not something else.

I have verified that the TV is charging the battery, and this is reflected on the InCommand screen.

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
An RV battery or batteries drawn down to 6.3 volts is toast. You have an issue, yes, but buy new batteries when solved.

So if a battery gets discharged to that point it is no longer usable, even if recharged?
I had a battery that was dry, sitting in the garage zero charge in it. I filled with distilled water, trickle charged it for a few days and it went back in service with no issues. A load tester can be had at HF that is equal to or as good as any I have ever used and will give you accurate analysis of the batteries condition.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP: You say "battery". Do you have only one?
What size is the battery you have in the rig? Is it 12 volt or do you have a pair of six volters? If six volters, they are wired wrong

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mr. C wrote:
2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS. After a 4hr trip home, low voltage prevented the slide from opening. The fridge was running during the trip. Plugged in and opened the slide. The next day I had the battery tested and it's fine. I verified that the truck charges the battery. Yesterday, with battery at 13.6, I unplugged. Fridge was running. This AM, 6.3 volts.

What direction do I need to head? Only the fridge and propane detector were running on the battery.

put your fridge on propane, and get new batteries. if you ran it down to 6V its toast. I am saying to put your fridge onto propane as when I looked up your model it saud propane/electric fridge so I am asuming you have a 2 or 3 way.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad