cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Min overall height for soft side

rpetritsch
Explorer
Explorer
Still working on The Admiral for a truck camper. One of her main objections is that our POA restrictions do not allow parking RV outside overnight. It would have to be dropped off at a storage yard every night and reinstalled each morning.
Ah, but what if it would fit in the garage...... Is there any soft sided TC that would fit in a standard garage? My garage door is an even 7 foot high. Width is no problem as it is a two car garage with one door.
Thanks in advance for your help.
14 REPLIES 14

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
It's just a truck, show the POA your registration
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
rpetritsch wrote:
Still working on The Admiral for a truck camper. One of her main objections is that our POA restrictions do not allow parking RV outside overnight. It would have to be dropped off at a storage yard every night and reinstalled each morning.
Ah, but what if it would fit in the garage...... Is there any soft sided TC that would fit in a standard garage? My garage door is an even 7 foot high. Width is no problem as it is a two car garage with one door.
Thanks in advance for your help.

When I brought my brand new TC home, I parked the rig in the driveway overnight and got the early morning chastising from the HOA. I modified my landscape trailer with large casters, set the TC in the trailer and pushed it in the garage. The trailer bed height was about 12 inches and it cleared the 7 foot garage height by an inch and the sides by a few inches. (Also had to remove the jacks)

Loading and unloading was such a hassle, that I put the TC in a storage site and we started looking for our current home. No HOA. Now I park it in my driveway.

Good Luck,
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two Things:
1) my Jayco and F150 are 8-1/2 feet tall

2) Just what the heck does your POA say? Isn't the intent to prevent folks from STORING their RV's? If you use it for hunting for a week, you are not storing it, you are using it. What are they going to do? make you take it off (which you are going to do when you are done hunting anyway).
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
rpetritsch wrote:
Wow! Never thought it would be that close. Thanks for the true picture.

My camper, an Outfitter Apex 8, is a good deal taller than most popups, as it has a basement.
Cal

rpetritsch
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Never thought it would be that close. Thanks for the true picture.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Cal:

Photo 136......hoooly, that's close :E
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Good thing you have a flat driveway!! Otherwise it would hit the opened garage door.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect most popup campers will fit. Here's mine. My door opening is 83".
(I use a small winch now instead of the golf cart)

If you meant while on the truck - disregard my post.
Cal

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reminds me of the apartment restrictions near Dulles, VA when we lived there a year. Had to leave our pop-up home. I put a truck tent on. Had a 90 gallon in bed diesel tank, a fold out "over the wheel wells" plywood bed platform, and inflatable queen mattress, a pop-up tent outhouse with porti-potti, four plastic under bed storage containers with all the camp gear, all folded up, hidden and locked behind and under a bed height roll-up tonneau cover. It was slick! Even carried two bikes.

JacintoKid
Explorer
Explorer
My Tacoma and Fleet model Four Wheel camper will not fit my 7' high garage opening. It's appx 7'6" with stock height Tacoma ride. I keep it on for a few weeks at a time and then remove it for a few weeks at a time. Some folks build and use a dolly to ferry in and out of the garage. I use a 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer. @ $299, it's a great deal and can be used for other small jobs. My next house will have an 8' garage door opening.
2014 Toyota tacoma 4WD
2014 FourWheel Camper Fleet model
OME full suspension swap

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Our Outfitter Caribou 8 pop-up is 8 foot 2 inches tall (nothing on roof but 2 roof vents) sittin' on the following:

2004 Silverado 2500HD long bed, 4x4, with original OEM sized tires: 245 75 R16. Truck has no lift. We have a 1/2 inch thick rubber truck bed protector.

We now have tires that are about 2 inches taller, so we would now be 8 foot 4 inches + the beefed-up 1/2 inch thick tub floor I installed last summer = 8 foot 4.5 inches. Absolutely no way to get truck loaded on camper into our 8 foot opening garage (unless you let out almost all the air from tires to ride 1 inch from rims-- not something I would EVER do potentially jeapordizing my $340+ tax @ tires).

An F250/F350 I believe is taller. Dodge? Unknown height bed to ground.

I think Outfitter makes a much less tall camper with full-sized shell and tub, and a roof and cabover profile that looks like a 4 Wheel camper (perhaps 4~5 iches less tall than a traditional Caribou). But all this does nothing for you, because you still have a 7 foot tall garage.

Good luck,
S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

rpetritsch
Explorer
Explorer
If I wanted to use the TC for hunting. I would not be able to park it home due to the POA restrictions. I leave my pop-up in a storage yard when not used. One reason I want the TC is to be able to use it day after day to hunt or fish.....would be nice to relax during the day in the camper.

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Some people load the TC onto a dolly and slide that into the garage. Why would you load and unload every day?

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
You need to measure your trucks bed height to your garage door clearance distance then you will have something to go by. Four Wheel Campers build one of the lowest popups.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.