cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modification help needed for gutter

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
The side awning was badly mounted on my camper. The mounting bracket was installed over the rain gutter.
The bracket screws went through the gutter into the camper!
I tried caulking around the screws but don't trust it to not weep into the camper.
It rained the last few days and now the gutter is holding water dammed up by the screws and caulk.

I drilled a small 3/16-inch weep hole for now to let out the water.
The weep hole is now about 1-inch to the right of the screws.
My thought is to drill a bigger hole but I can't think of how to channel or drain water away from the camper.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to modify or fix this delima are appreciated. . .

Photos:

Close view:
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
21 REPLIES 21

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
bighatnohorse wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of drilling a big hole in the gutter floor and somehow attaching a drain tube.
Maybe a gutter below the gutter? You got me thinking now. . .

Maybe put a nice 5/8 hole in front of the screw and have it drain to a small channel underneath. If theirs enuff room for another channel.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
Thank you.
For temporary I have drill three 1/4-inch holes in the gutter floor. They drain very well and from ground level I can look up and see that they are clear.
So. . .no water should puddle around the screw.

When time and drier weather prevail I will tackle moving the bracket and re-attaching it, plugging the old screw holes and Eternabonding the holes in the gutter floor.
(Probably late next month and hopefully in Arizona)

You could replace the old gutter, they are not expensive and use you old holes so you don't have to drill anymore holes than you need. gutter/awning rail I installed similar to my livinlite. It was pretty easy. They make many other types than this.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Glacier_D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, seen that before. My S&S had the same problem on the side awning and water did leak in through the un-caulked screws, in fact non of the exterior screws on my 2001 S&S were caulked.
My 2009 Eagle Cap has the same setup on the rear awning, but least all screws seem to be sealed. Not sure why anyone would engineer something like that. Just so typical of the RV industry as a whole or is that a hole.
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab/LB, Rancho RS9000XL, Stable Loads, Superhitch and FastGuns. 2009 Eagle Cap 1050, Hickory interior with on-board generator, A/C and Honda EU2000

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you.
For temporary I have drill three 1/4-inch holes in the gutter floor. They drain very well and from ground level I can look up and see that they are clear.
So. . .no water should puddle around the screw.

When time and drier weather prevail I will tackle moving the bracket and re-attaching it, plugging the old screw holes and Eternabonding the holes in the gutter floor.
(Probably late next month and hopefully in Arizona)
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Shorten the gutter,or at least the gutter floor. before the lag screw and let the gutter drain before the lag screw and make sure that section where the screw is will never hold water.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Buzzcut1 wrote:
bighatnohorse wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Remount the awning correctly as shown in Buzzcut's post.

Good idea, maybe. I did an inspection yesterday and believe that it can be done.
Problem is, making new drill holes 1/4 to 5/16-inch below the existing holes could be trouble.
I'm not sure how to address that problem. Maybe fill the old holes with epoxy?

tap in epoxy coated wooden dowels flush to TC wall then seal the outer area with non self leveling Dicor

^ Yes, something like this and then re-mount correctly.
This is a good application for gorilla glue IMO. Whatever you fill the hole with. Epoxy would work too provided you're completely filling the void considering you're drilling right next to the old hole.
Gorilla glue expands when it cures so it will help fill the void.

If possible, I'd try to move the bracket fore or aft an inch or so to not be drilling in the same area affected by the old screw.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
bighatnohorse wrote:
mkirsch wrote:

Good idea, maybe. I did an inspection yesterday and believe that it can be done.
Problem is, making new drill holes 1/4 to 5/16-inch below the existing holes could be trouble.

tap in epoxy coated wooden dowels flush to TC wall then seal the outer area with non self leveling Dicor
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
AnEv942 wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
... there is space between the bottom of the gutter and the top of the awning slot for them to go...

Can the bracket be moved? I dont know how it intereacts (or if) with awning arms.

yes the bracket is just the pivot point for the adjustable telescopic arm and it has many more inches of retractable travel available which will not affect deployment

this is my rear one it is the telescopic arm that goes from the roof out to the roller that the awning wraps around

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Buzzcut1 wrote:
... there is space between the bottom of the gutter and the top of the awning slot for them to go...

Can the bracket be moved? I dont know how it intereacts (or if) with awning arms.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
bighatnohorse wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of drilling a big hole in the gutter floor and somehow attaching a drain tube.

+ 1

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a travel trailer where someone installed the awning improperly with the same results you have...There was two ways to go about it,take it to an RV shop and roll the dice to a permanent fix or red neck it and goo it heavily and re-screw...I chose to goo it/re-screw and it worked without another leak but I was never happy worrying about it leaking again.

In this case, silicone yearly to the spot worked as advertised!
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have the same awning attachement. they screwed up your mounting. the screws should go under your gutter not through it. there is space between the bottom of the gutter and the top of the awning slot for them to go