Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mounting a LCD TV on the wall

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

I have a 2010 Keystone Passport and I was wondering if anyone has mounted a TV on the wall. I would like to mount one on the back wall for the rear bunks. Has anyone done it and how did you find something to screw into?

Thanks for the help

Ian
2010 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.2L, Max Towing Package,2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight Limited Edition
12 REPLIES 12

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ianmac23 wrote:
Sorry I did not say this before I wanted to mount it inside and the wall does not say mount LCD here. Which is weird because it has all of the hookups there for power and TV. There is a LCD mounted in the living room which is the TV that I wanted to use. I think it is 26 inch. I wanted to replace the one in the living room for something bigger with a better picture and viewing angles.

Well, maybe it did before and it was taken off. Get a stud finder - they are easy to use. I was scared to drill into the walls of my new TT to, but I wanted the LCD TV hung on the wall, so I got over it.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I certainly take my OFF-ROAD POPUP off the major roads... One of my favorite spots up on the George Washington right on the VA/WVA mtn state line is fed by a forest service road and then I go a few hundred feet beyond that. Actually cross a rocky mtn stream with my truck and POPUP. Granted my trailer doesn't have any high walls on it. My other trailers I have worked with for outfitting off-road communication projects certainly have the thin walls and they are still doing just fine as well...
Here is photo of the mtn stream I have to cross to get the high point i like to setup my communications at using my POPUP trailer.... This is near a spot commonly called FLAGPOLE KNOB.

No prob Cincygus - It justs reminds me I should put more disclosure info in my posts I guess...

I certainly would not mount something that weighed 50 lbs plus using just MOLY BOLTS. The trick I have learned is to spread out the weight limits over a larger area. I used to use the spring loaded wing bolts alot but every time you remove the screw from them the spring nut would fall behind the wall. The MOLLY BOLTs are locked into position after they spread out behind the wall... You can remove the screw and the MOLLY BOLT stays in place. Pretty strong stuff for me to use.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
CincyGus Don't know what to say about your post - Its works fine for me or I would not have said so.. haha...

I have hung alot of stuff over the past 6 years doing just this...

Nothing has fell down yet (fingers crossed I guess from you are saying)

I only report my experiences - I may use someone elses photos that I got off google... no speculations on what is or what isn't...

I leave that up to all the various sheriffs and the do-gooders

I guess I should just mind my own business from here on - seems like I have been taking alot of heat from you all on here lately... Maybe it is because I like to include photos and longer descriptions????

Roy Ken

RoyB,

No offense or "Heat" intended Roy, Was just pointing out that it wasn't something I would do. We all do things differently. Some people use their campers for years and never leave a blacktop or concrete road. Some drive and park their RV's in places I wouldn't ride a Grand Canyon Trained mule, lol. I have no doubt what you posted is working for you and as I said, countless others. I was just trying to point out that the OP or anyone else reading this needs to think about those things and examine their decision carefully.

"Your a braver man than I" only referred to your solution was a risk I wasn't willing to take, not that it's not an option that is working for you. It says more about my goal of doing it once and never having to worry about it again than it does the suitability of your suggestion. Often, I overkill it to insure it doesn't need to be done ever again.

Again, no harm intended. Please accept my apoligies if any was perceived.:)
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
ianmac23 Tap around on the wall there and see if it might be a solid back board installed behind the 1/4-inch thin stuff. Seems like most of the newer trailers I see photos of have that sticker on the wall there along with the TV HOOKUPs.

Looks something like this...

If the wall is solid when you thump around on it might be ok to mount a LCD bracket there with just wood screws?

Just showing photos from google - not mine..

Oh another point I learned about LCD brackets - Make sure the adjustments goes up and down as well as side to side. Some TVs don't view well unless they are more pointed at where you are looking from...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
CincyGus Don't know what to say about your post - Its works fine for me or I would not have said so.. haha...

I only report my experiences - I may use someone elses photos that I got off google... no speculations on what is or what isn't...

I guess I should just mind my own business from here on - seems like I have been taking alot of heat from you all on here lately... Maybe it is because I like to include photos and longer descriptions????

Roy Ken

Roy I think that your information is great thank you
2010 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.2L, Max Towing Package,2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight Limited Edition

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I did not say this before I wanted to mount it inside and the wall does not say mount LCD here. Which is weird because it has all of the hookups there for power and TV. There is a LCD mounted in the living room which is the TV that I wanted to use. I think it is 26 inch. I wanted to replace the one in the living room for something bigger with a better picture and viewing angles.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stud finder and short lag bolts worked for me - although RoyB's suggestion looks ok as well - notice he used 5 mollys across the top ot the board and did a fine job of matching the stain color. You could also find the studs and screw the plywood board to those and use mollys in between.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
The only sure way to mount things to the thin interior walls is to put up a 3/4 inch flat board first and attach those four corners to the thin wall with MOLLY BOLTS... This spreads out the weight of the object to be mounted and hopefull will not allow the screws (bolts) to be pulled through the thin wall.

Custom fit the back board first..

Once your heavy back board is installed then you can just use regular wood screws to attach your LCD hardware to the wall. Your LCD installation might look something like this

After you install the back board first you can paint it to match your wall decor.

Lots of info on google search about this...

I have hung some pretty heavy items on my trailer walls using this method.

Also alot of the newer trailers already have a more solid wall just made for installing LCD monitor to the wall. They usually have a sticker on the wall that says Mount LCD Here or something to that effect. I would test it first however...

Roy Ken

Your a braver man than I. As thin as some of these RV walls are, I don't think I would trust my TV to hang from them with Molly Bolts. The bolts are plenty strong enough, I use them all the time at the house with dry wall but the thin walls (1/8" or 3/16") that flex when I press against them in between the studs made me nervous about hanging anything even remotely heavy from them. Especially something that was going to move down our beautiful pothole filled highways and some pretty rough campground roads that may cause some significant jarring.

I would want the heavy board achored into studs in at least 4 places. I've seen a lot of thread suggesting you are not alone in being successful with this method, Just not within my comfort range.

Huckleby
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say how big of a TV you are looking at mounting but I recently installed our 19" flat screen on the exterior wall using a swivel mounting bracket. I simply made sure I located a stud and placed the bracket on it. BTW, these mounts are great because they allow you to quickly and easily remove the TV from the wall during transport.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PWLB242/10-To-24-Single-Arm-Flat-Panel-TV-Adjustable-Full-Motion-Arm-Wall-Mount
1992 Salem by Cobra 21F Fifth Wheel
Reese Classic 15K Hitch
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab shortbox
5.3 liter, Volant cold air intake & headers

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only sure way to mount things to the thin interior walls is to put up a 3/4 inch flat board first and attach those four corners to the thin wall with MOLLY BOLTS... This spreads out the weight of the object to be mounted and hopefull will not allow the screws (bolts) to be pulled through the thin wall.

Custom fit the back board first..

Once your heavy back board is installed then you can just use regular wood screws to attach your LCD hardware to the wall. Your LCD installation might look something like this

After you install the back board first you can paint it to match your wall decor.

Lots of info on google search about this...

I have hung some pretty heavy items on my trailer walls using this method.

Also alot of the newer trailers already have a more solid wall just made for installing LCD monitor to the wall. They usually have a sticker on the wall that says Mount LCD Here or something to that effect. I would test it first however...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not mounted anything to the outside walls other than with 3m velcro or short 3/4" self tapping screws (safe since I know the aluminum framing is 1" thick). I used a stud finder to tap into the framing when using the screws.

Most TV's I've seen mounted have been to an interior wall specifically designed as a TV Mounting place. Usually have a sticker desiginating it as such if a TV was not included with the trailer when bought new. This is because as a general rule, I don't think most of the walls are built to support TV's on a mounting arm without this additional beefing up of the mounting spot.

My suggestion to you is to look for an interior wall that would work for you and either remove the paneling and beef up the horizontal supports to allow something significant as far as mounting screws OR mount a peice of finished plywood or 1"x10" between 2 vertical studs with multiple screws into each vertical stud and then mount the TV bracket to the board.