cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mr Buddy Heater?

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I'm exploring options for propane catalytic heaters for my TC, heaters such as the Wave and Mr Buddy that don't use my battery like the installed furnace does.

Anyone use a Mr Buddy heater? I like the included fan of the Big Buddy.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
17 REPLIES 17

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geewizard wrote:
I'm wondering if putting money into another solar panel and an additional 100 Ah battery to run the existing furnace might be the better solution.

Although the existing furnace is noisy and inefficient, it is already installed and forces heat into the basement to keep the tanks from freezing. Keeping the basement tanks warm is something that none of the other alternatives will do.

One alternative...that we have done...run the BH while you are awake to save battery. Run the furnace at night.

We carry a BH for backup (after a VERY cold weekend with no furnace!).

The BH is inexpensive and pretty safe, but I still won't sleep with it running...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering if putting money into another solar panel and an additional 100 Ah battery to run the existing furnace might be the better solution.

Although the existing furnace is noisy and inefficient, it is already installed and forces heat into the basement to keep the tanks from freezing. Keeping the basement tanks warm is something that none of the other alternatives will do.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
This heater has been mentioned elsewhere and it's a nice one. Don't know how I would mount it in my pop-up TC though.....if I could afford it.

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The Buddy heater puts a lot of water in the air. I prefer the CAT because it vents the combustion gases to the outside.

There are four downsides of a Buddy heater:

1: Needs to be kept well away from flammables. I was camped at a place where someone's popup tent had a heater that caught fire, blowing up the 1# containers. Having the county sheriff wake you up and get ready to evacuate at 5:00 in the morning isn't a good thing, due to the explosions. Thankfully the owner of the pop-up got away unharmed, but it did leave a crater.

2: Needs ventilation. I don't trust my life to a cheap detector, so I believe in at least two CO detectors, one of which has a PPM gauge. This means ventilation in and out.

3: They put out a lot of water in the air.

4: You can either use the one pound propane bottles which last 3-6 hours, or plumb a LP gas hose to it. If you plumb a LP gas hose, I highly recommend putting a petcock near the tee intersection, just so the heater can be disconnected and the hose capped off for the summer.

The good thing is that the Buddy heater is extremely economical. It puts out a lot of heat... but I consider it a last resort compared to the RV's propane furnace, a plat cat, or an electric space heater.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
crcr wrote:
We tried a little Buddy heater, but even though we cracked one or two windows open for fresh air, it still gave me headaches (I have a migraine history so am very sensitive to the oxygen content in the air). We returned it after trying it on one camping trip.

Same here. I felt it was not the oxygen level, but the slight fumes produced. I am very sensitive to chemical fumes. Same with using a kero turbo heater in a workshop, with adequate fresh air.

Maybe you're right -- maybe it was the fumes rather than a reduced oxygen level.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
We tried a little Buddy heater, but even though we cracked one or two windows open for fresh air, it still gave me headaches (I have a migraine history so am very sensitive to the oxygen content in the air). We returned it after trying it on one camping

Same here. I felt it was not the oxygen level, but the slight fumes produced. I am very sensitive to chemical fumes. Same with using a kero turbo heater in a workshop, with adequate fresh air.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
We used buddy heaters for three nights while dry camping in our TT. Two of them really kept our little outback toasty. As long as your CO sensors are working and your TT isn't airtight (ours certainly wasn't) it will work.
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I've used one extensively in my snomachine trailer either for camping or just warming up, thawing the machines out.
Other than the obvious open flame they work well.
2 problems with them are being open propane heat they make a lot of water.
The oxygen sensor, which will save you from the "poison gasses" will also shut it down at elevations over 8kft, even with good outside ventilation. So not reliable in the high country.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
We tried a little Buddy heater, but even though we cracked one or two windows open for fresh air, it still gave me headaches (I have a migraine history so am very sensitive to the oxygen content in the air). We returned it after trying it on one camping trip.

On the other hand, we have a couple who are good friends who use a Little Buddy heater in their TT regularly and experience no noticeable negative effects.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a Little Buddy for a back-up emergency heater in the Tcer. I figure that if it is -20 or -30 and my main heater fails for some reason then the Little Buddy is a good back-up. It also is great for when it is cold and you need to do something outside like replace a back-up bulb and you need / like a little heat to keep your fingers warm.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. It's a Wave 3 for me if I go that route.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the small buddy heater hooked to a 20lb bottle and it works fine in a 30 ft trailer on low. If I were to use in my tc I'd crack a window. If you use it other than the small bottles get the filter they recommend.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I use a Mr Buddy MH9BX portable in the shop-8x12. But I can hang a sock and tell which way the winds blowing outside. I have the camper set up to use it as a back up to our permanently installed Wave 3.
But I've only carried once & used once. Likely pull the hose and rerout to use for outside BBQ, just a bit too much for us. (or possibly another Wave 3 to use free standing but havnet bought any lottery tickets latley). We have a bottle top cat heater for em backup.

The Mr Buddy does put out more moisture and it does get a bit fumy compared to the Wave. The Mr Buddy is not a catalytic heater.
The BIG is big.. fan nice but cant imagine the Big in a small TC.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com