Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My truck got hit...............

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
........... ๐Ÿ˜ž

3 weeks ago, my truck was hit on the left side while I was traveling northbound on I-5 in the #1 lane at 60 to 65 mph. After crossing under a new overpass construction site, I noticed a northbound water truck in the median strip accelerating in the area between the construction cones and the concrete median divider. Suddenly the water truck swerved to the right, and drove between 2 of the construction cones, entering the #1 northbound lane at an approximate 45 degree angle to the lane and my truck. I initiated an evasive maneuver to the right towards the #2 northbound lane, but was limited in the distance I could move to the right by northbound traffic in the #2 lane. A 2-1/2 inch water nozzle located at the right front corner of the water truck struck my vehicle on the left side at the rear of the left-rear passenger door, and contact continued along the left side of my truck to the rear bumper. Luckily no other vehicles were involved. The CHP officer who responded told me I was lucky to be in a large & heavy vehicle, because if I had been driving a small sedan, things might have not turned out well for me.

The truck is finally in the body shop getting repaired, and will also have to go on the frame rack to see if there is any frame damage. The insurance adjuster said the rear axle may have been knocked a little out of alignment.

We've already had to cancel two weekend camping trips, but hope we get the truck back in time for our big summer camp trip in a few weeks.

View from where I was able to pull over and stop. The collision happened about 100 feet this side of the overpass.

Another view of the body damage.

Here you can see where the 2-1/2" water nozzle got torn off when the water truck ran into my truck.
'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not
31 REPLIES 31

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
I hope the settlement included cash to you for the "Diminition of value" that occurred. Just repairing the damage to your staisfaction does not make you whole. When it comes time to sell or trade you will find out just how much you have lost and it is a loss you should not have to bear. Glad you are back on the road. Good luck! :C

Funny thing about those reporting companies, none of them show my truck as ever being in an accident. one claim for comp damage and the rear quarter was at work in the parking lot. You can request that your insurance company and repair shop not report your information to car-fax, auto check or any other company.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hope the settlement included cash to you for the "Diminition of value" that occurred. Just repairing the damage to your staisfaction does not make you whole. When it comes time to sell or trade you will find out just how much you have lost and it is a loss you should not have to bear. Glad you are back on the road. Good luck! :C

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Check to make sure it covers rust, the repair's on mine are also covered with a "lifetime warranty in writing" except for rust, that is covered for 3 years and only if the rust is on the repaired panel. Not sure what is covered for life, paint maybe :h . At any rate it's getting repaired with the only cost to me being a rental car if I need one.

Glad your back on the road.

Don

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Oh yeah, I woulda wanted a new truck outta that deal lol.

LOL....:B

My 2007 truck with 54,500 miles on the odometer looks brand new.

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Here's a heads up! If they R&R the rear quarter panel make damn sure they use a rust inhibitor on the welds BETWEEN the wheel well lip!

I had to have the right rear 1/4 panel replaced and questioned the shop about what they would do to make sure the new panel didn't rust. They said they rust proof it and there won't be an issue. Well the truck goes back in on the 25th to repair rust between the lip :M .

The left side (OEM panel) with 139K has no rust the new almost two year old panel is rusting out at every weld on the wheel well lip. Get whatever they say in writing and make sure they cover rust for as long as you own the truck! What a PITA this has turned out to be!

Good luck

Don

Well, the work is completed and the truck is in my driveway. I have a lifetime warranty in writing from Golden State Collision Center, should any issues associated with the repair crop up.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a heads up! If they R&R the rear quarter panel make damn sure they use a rust inhibitor on the welds BETWEEN the wheel well lip!

I had to have the right rear 1/4 panel replaced and questioned the shop about what they would do to make sure the new panel didn't rust. They said they rust proof it and there won't be an issue. Well the truck goes back in on the 25th to repair rust between the lip :M .

The left side (OEM panel) with 139K has no rust the new almost two year old panel is rusting out at every weld on the wheel well lip. Get whatever they say in writing and make sure they cover rust for as long as you own the truck! What a PITA this has turned out to be!

Good luck

Don

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
glad you are back on the road.

Oh yeah, I woulda wanted a new truck outta that deal lol.

My last truck was thru a lot more than that I the next owner did not give a scratch about the Carfax. :B

Enjoy

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Really doubt there is any frame damage to your truck, the feed pipe broke at the threads, the weakest part of the pip, and by the looks of things no support outside of the coupling.

Agreed! I cannot fathom that causing frame damage or spring damage. Sucks that it happened though!

Well........................it is a Chevy,.....just saying....................:W
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
EPenney wrote:
Well.....everyone loves a good ending.

I got my truck back yesterday, after almost 4 weeks at the body shop, and it looks great. They even did a new spray on bed liner over the top of the old spray on liner. There was no damage to the frame which relieves me, but the rear axle did require realignment.

I picked up the 5er this morning and brought it home to get ready for our vacation trip starting next week. The tow home from the storage yard felt normal.

Amazing how something so seemingly minor in appearance could result in $8500 dollars damage. Reminds me of an accident my brother had with his Mustang GT 20 years back. Struck in an intersection by a fool that blew a red light. Insurance adjuster estimated $5200 dollars damage to my brother's car. It wound up being totaled.

Glad the shop did such a thorough inspection and repair, and everything worked out to your satisfaction. I love happy endings....

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
Well.....everyone loves a good ending.

I got my truck back yesterday, after almost 4 weeks at the body shop, and it looks great. They even did a new spray on bed liner over the top of the old spray on liner. There was no damage to the frame which relieves me, but the rear axle did require realignment.

I picked up the 5er this morning and brought it home to get ready for our vacation trip starting next week. The tow home from the storage yard felt normal.

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
In response to some of the comments:

1) I was not cited for speeding. There was no posted reduced speed limit thru the construction zone (see vc22362). The posted speed limit along that stretch of freeway is 65 mph. The accident happened during rush-hour, traffic was heavy but not bumper-to-bumper, and was moving at 65 mph.

2) There are no "Trucks Entering Roadway" signs posted before the construction zone.

3) The water truck and driver left the scene, but was tracked down by the CHP about 4 miles from where the accident occurred. I have no knowledge if the driver was cited for leaving the scene. His supervisor sent him in for a drug test.

4) The body shop called today to inform me they have discovered additional damage which will push the repair bill to around $8.5K for the "minor fender bender" damage to my truck. The additional repairs will add about a week to getting my truck back.

So far, I am satisfied with the prompt response of the construction company and their insurance company in getting the repairs underway.

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
BTW 60-65 maybe fast for a construction zone but in that particular area people drive much faster including the big rigs, don't get me wrong im not saying its right. I do about the same speed as the OP every day but usually stay in the #2 or #3 lane as im getting off at Pocket exit, and cars and rigs always pass me up. Its a stretch where the normal posted speed limit is 75 mph and slows down to 65 mph due to entering the city from a rural area.

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
Hey I drive past there every day. My three year old boy is always saying "whut day doin dahhdee". Me, "building a bridge son". Gets a little old when you say it 6 times a day. haha.

My son has an infactuation with sprinklers, and yesterday morning I pointed out (probably the very same water truck) "Look!, truck with a big sprinkler!".

He was quite amazed....Im sure you were not when it pulled out in front of you. Glad you're OK.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
If there is a bright side to this at least the driver stopped and I assume was insured. I have now been hit by other drivers three times in California and only once was the driver insured or licensed.

From the pics my only comment is that your tire may have been structurally damaged on the sidewall. There is no real easy way to tell unless there were groves cut into the rubber. I doubt you have frame/ rear end issues. Tires/ rim more likely.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"