Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a trailer recommendation

AirBiscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

First off I have a family of 5. Myself, my wife and 3 kids, ages 9,11 and 12. I need to be able to sleep all of us comfortably but at the same time I don't want to base my purchase decision on having the kids with us forever. When they get a bit older it's hard to imagine they'll want to come camping with the parents all the time. So I probably have a good 4-7 years?

The wife and I would love to have a rear living room but I really have yet to find a model like this that will be able to sleep all of us. We do not want to go with the bunk house units as they really cramp up the usable living space and make for a pretty dark interior. We love the rear living room because it lets in so much light and gives great views with all the large windows. At this point I'm ready to just throw down an air mattress for the little buggers.

I tow with a 2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 with 4.10 gearing. Payload is 3070. Rated to tow a max of 13k trailer or 13.8k 5er.

Based on this information is there anything out there that would fit the bill for us?

Thanks all,
Chris
9 REPLIES 9

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
I have an Aerolite 282DBHS. It has 3 bunks that raise to the ceiling when not in use for a wide open space (actually its two bunks that raise and the third is the floor with a mattress - you get 3 mattresses, all 3 can go up with the bunks). We usually use this space for carrying the bikes when traveling (It has a bike door also). If we need the bunks when set up, down they come. If we only need one bunk, the other bunk stays at the top. If we don't need the bunks at all, they both stay at the top of the trailer and we can use that space for anything we want (like the grandkids tea party). May be an option to consider.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I hate breaking down the living room into a bedroom every night and then putting it all back together again the next morning, so we bought a bunkhouse - we have a queen and the kids each have their own bed. Yeah you give up a bit on the layout but with a 32' fifth wheel there's enough size to compensate for that. If you're considering fifth wheels and travel trailers I'd urge you to go with the fifth wheel because it gives you a shorter combined length for the size of the trailer and they tow a lot better right off the lot with no special (and pricey) hitch required.

There are actually a few mid bunk models that have rear living rooms you could consider, but I think they're all pretty large. I personally wouldn't want to go much longer than the 32' unit we have now - even that's a bit of a handful in tight areas.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
AirBiscuit wrote:
I currently have a 2011 Jayco Eagle Superlight 28BHS but darn kids have never slept in the bunks. Go figure! They end up on the couch and dinette converted to a double bed. I'm just done with the bunks. I suppose they like falling asleep within eyeshot of the TV.

Seems to me it would be a LOT cheaper to just put a television in that bunk bed area and insist your kids use it instead of cluttering up the rest of the trailer. 😉

We've been down your path ... when our boys were about 12 & 14 I wanted to upgrade from a hybrid to a 24' couple's model travel trailer and have the boys use the sofa and dinette for sleeping. My wife maintained we still needed bunk beds so we ended up with a 24' KZ Spree triple bunk bed model in which I removed the unneeded 3rd bed and while it was a great trailer the writing was already on the wall before we even took delivery - i.e. I knew it would only be a matter of time before they'd decide they wouldn't want to camp with us any longer and we'd be left dragging around bunk beds we didn't need. :S Eventually that did happen, we sold the trailer and suffered significant loss in depreciation, and bought our current couple's model. And guess what? ... the younger boy who is now in university decided he liked camping after all and now insists on going with us whenever he can! Arrghhh! ... should have kept that bunk bed trailer and saved ourselves HUGE sums $$$$$ AND enjoyed the extra storage space offered by those bunk beds. My suggestion - remove the bunks if you must and convert that space for other use such as a den 'cause no matter how you cut it keeping what you have will be significantly cheaper than trading for another trailer. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

PatRenee
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this one... the two couches fold out and meet in the middle giving you two queen size beds together....great product.... we own one...

http://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/2016/open-range-3x/fifth-wheels/3X377FLR

AirBiscuit
Explorer
Explorer
STEVEO496 wrote:
I'm like you, I like the rear living room floor plans and also the idea of a toy hauler. Since you already have an 8' bed I would also consider a 5th wheel, easier to tow, more head room (especially in the shower) and generally as short or shorter overall than a travel trailer.

Yeah, I've been thinking of going that route as well. I'm going this weekend to take a look at some Keystone models as their 5ers are on the lighter side then say the Jaycos. I just have to be more mindful of my weight calculations. Those pups start getting heavy real quick.

STEVEO496
Explorer
Explorer
I'm like you, I like the rear living room floor plans and also the idea of a toy hauler. Since you already have an 8' bed I would also consider a 5th wheel, easier to tow, more head room (especially in the shower) and generally as short or shorter overall than a travel trailer.
2012 Keystone Cougar 30RLS
2005 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1
Reese Titan receiver and Equalizer WDH

AirBiscuit
Explorer
Explorer
STEVEO496 wrote:
Is your truck long or short bed?

Crew cab with 8 foot bed. I currently have a 2011 Jayco Eagle Superlight 28BHS but darn kids have never slept in the bunks. Go figure! They end up on the couch and dinette converted to a double bed. I'm just done with the bunks. I suppose they like falling asleep within eyeshot of the TV.

STEVEO496
Explorer
Explorer
Is your truck long or short bed?
2012 Keystone Cougar 30RLS
2005 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1
Reese Titan receiver and Equalizer WDH

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at toy haulers. Some have great rear areas that contain couches that fold up out of the way or down into a bed. While others have drop down or fold down bunks. It would alleviate the problem of using up space for full time bunks but also give that extra sleeping area. Some also have the deck doors that come down and you can buy an optional screen to create a screened in deck area or a party deck which is screened off from the rest of the trailer. Some very good options as you don't have to fill a toy hauler with toys although very handy if you have a family full of bicycles.
I love me some land yachting